Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calling all boffins!

• 13-03-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Which of these (if any) actually represents a bike engine or has something practical to teach about engines?

This one looks a bit to strokey to me.

http://www.en.boehm-stirling.com/hb7.html

also isn't this a cool website?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stirling engines are external combustion engines, they have little in common with car or bike internal combustion engines. They'd have more in common with a steam engine.

Internal combustion = the fuel is burned inside the working cylinder.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you're thinking of buying something relatively cheap to learn about engines then your best bet would be to buy an actual engine..... you'd get a single cylinder 125 engine for cheap enough I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

One of these is a good basic introduction to an I4 engine.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haynes-4-Cylinder-Combustion-Engine/dp/B000YX7OXO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

If you're thinking of buying something relatively cheap to learn about engines then your best bet would be to buy an actual engine..... you'd get a single cylinder 125 engine for cheap enough I would think.

I often thought about this. I have a 1994 cb400. If I wanted another engine to play/learn about with, what other engines are similar ( assuming I couldnt get my hands on another cb400 engine)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

buy a knackered petrol lawnmower engine, and get it running

problem with a bike engine, is there may be a quite a lot of ancillaries needed to get it running under its own power on your bench

imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Wossack wrote: »

problem with a bike engine, is there may be a quite a lot of ancillaries needed to get it running under its own power on your bench

imo

I know what you mean but it would be more stripping and putting it back together type of thing. I would give anything a bash but taking my own engine apart is a no no for now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd personally try and get a lighter engine to start with - I'd say the lump in a cb400 is pretty heavy, so could limit what you're able to do / learn. Unless you buy a whole other bike.. :P principles of a 4stroke translate across the board, so dont be too worried - stuff you'll learn wrenching on a single will still apply to your il4 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda GX 160 are a great engine to learn on, small, light, tunable and cheap.
    They are pushrod but a nice engine to work on.
    The Kawasaki series are similar and very tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

imo
    Cut my teeth with old Briggs & Strattons & a little bit of grandads tuition :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'd personally try and get a lighter engine to start with - I'd say the lump in a cb400 is pretty heavy, so could limit what you're able to do / learn.......

for sure - you'd need something handy sized :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pah. Model Ferrari flat-12 (1970s F1 engine)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are going to the trouble of making an engine at least make it usable!
    This is Guy Coulon latterly of Tech 3 Yamaha with his own engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you are going to the trouble of making an engine at least make it usable!.....

or a bit unusual :)

Advertisement