Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Bang Theory...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

don ramo wrote: »
    christ you'd swear guns were being held to peoples head around here and their being forced to watch it, if only people had something like freedom of choice to watch what they want, and live happy lives and not find it necessary to constantly bitch and moan about some american series there not remotely being forced to watch, especially when that show is proactively seeked out and obtained every single week,

Imagine people being critical of something on a discussion board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the show is past its peak but there were some great scenes and lines over the year. Sheldon and Howard were my favourite characters but on the whole didnt like the whole Penny "beauty and the geek" meme

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I havnt been enjoying this season much but I LOVED the Star Wars episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

she wasn't 100% real.

What do you mean??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

What do you mean??
    shes got fake tits i presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

shes got fake tits i presume

No.

Would not have guessed.Very real looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Getting sued over Soft Kitty now

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35194737

kneemos wrote: »
    Would not have guessed.Very real looking.
    well its only when shes has a bikini on in the show that its noticeably, there big enough for her athletic body, i dont really think many people care, id expect no less, it is hollywood afterall,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Used to love it but don't follow it so much recently and I was shocked at how poor it had become watching a recent episode.

Somehow the Penny/Leonard thing plus all/most of the men hooking up so early took most of the drama out of it from an early stage and I couldn't see where the series would go.

Stephen Merchant is really good as Amy's new boyfriend,hopefully he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

bnt wrote: »
    If we assume for argument's sake that TBBT will end after the 10 greenlit seasons, then the latest sequence of events makes a bit more sense. I don't get the moaning about changes to characters, though. I always thought a primary idea behind TBBT was to follow the progression of the characters from total nerds to at least something a bit less nerdy.

Another series that lasted ten seasons was Friends, and I think they made good use of the idea that some characters changed a lot (Rachel, Chandler), some a bit (Ross, Monica), and some hardly at all (Phoebe, Joey). In TBBT, though, all the main characters were lacking in some way i.e. there were no "normal" characters, so they're all migrating to the "centre" or "normality. (Penny now has a real future, and Leonard now has a life.)

Some upcoming changes have already been signposted e.g. I fully expect Bernadette - who's loudly proclaimed she doesn't want children - to be pregnant by the end of this season. Just as with Friends, the arrival of children is the beginning of the end for a "singles" sitcom.

Prediction: Howard will get a PhD ... a honourary one. :P

I'd actually have said that Joey was the most changed character in Friends. At he beginning of the show, he was written to fairly smart. Sure not educated, but smart. By the end, they wrote his character to be completely thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I think all sitcoms that came after Friends should be automatically axed after season 6... the recurring jokes get too old. Oh look, Penny is stupid and Leonard is smart, Sheldon is annoying, Howard is Jewish and Raj has a funny accent. They got away with it for the first few seasons but three seasons more is going to end up with flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think all sitcoms that came after Friends should be automatically axed after season 6... the recurring jokes get too old. Oh look, Penny is stupid and Leonard is smart, Sheldon is annoying, Howard is Jewish and Raj has a funny accent. They got away with it for the first few seasons but three seasons more is going to end up with flogging a dead horse.

The Big Bang has improved somewhat as it got older. The characters have all evolved and stopped being parodies in a way. Season 7, 8 and the first part of season 9 have been really strong actually, so to say it should be cancelled because Friends' later seasons weren't as good as the earlier ones, is a bit silly.

Sure if you don't like it yourself, fair enough, stop watching it, but its obvious there's enough people out there still enjoying it for it to be the second most popular show on TV (after The Walking Dead)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed how they did Amy's Birthday episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heckler wrote: »
    Probably seen about 10 episodes in total. Didn't crack a smile once. Utter rubbish.
    10 episodes, not a smile, wow, just wow. I am not saying wow, in that you should have smiled, though I do find it odd. I know people who hate it and that's perfectly fine, but why on earth would someone suffer through 9 episodes of something they hate so much and then watch yet another!?! mind boggling if true, but I suspect its not.

I don't like mrs browns boys, I have no problem admitting I have laughed at some bits I did happen to see flicking over or in other peoples houses. I have never watched a full episode, let alone 10, TEN!!!!.

I saw similar OTT stated hatred for breaking bad, where people were allegedly watching several seasons of "complete and utter crap". Dunno if these trolls cop onto the impression they give of themselves.

TBBT has got too samey for my liking, there was a good one the other night where they were all discussing where they would be if sheldon had not been in their lives, I see now it is "Series 7 Episode 11 – The Cooper Extraction". Friends did a similar thing where monica was still fat etc. I do not bother trying to follow it in order much, can flick on any episode and find it reasonably enjoyable.

I like stephen merchant in it,
    he was such a fan of sheldon he could be in it due to him rather than amy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoy the show as a whole but the writers treatment of Stuart over this season is leaving a bad taste with me I really don't find the bullying of him funny in anyway at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I enjoy the show as a whole but the writers treatment of Stuart over this season is leaving a bad taste with me I really don't find the bullying of him funny in anyway at all.

That's one thing that always bugged me.

Jokes about him always wanting to commit suicide and how miserable his life is, it wasn't funny the first time and it's ridiculous 3/4 seasons on.

His character could work if he was a happy go lucky guy, but things just never work out for him. Would be far better than another joke about him being on anti-depressants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'd agree with this too. It's very bad taste. And the characters are cruel to him which is completely the opposite of how you are supposed to see them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think its about time stuart found love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For those of you who have watched up till the end of Ep. 15 ... told you so (spoilerish). :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

For those of you who have watched up till the end of Ep. 15 ... told you so (spoilerish). :pac:

Yeah the end of this is near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just a heads up but the first eight seasons of TBBT is now on the irish netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd agree with this too. It's very bad taste. And the characters are cruel to him which is completely the opposite of how you are supposed to see them

I don't like this story line either, it's unnecessarily cruel and just leaves a bad taste. He was always the sad and depressed Eeyore character. Now he's just bullied and used.

My guess is that if ratings in the US keep up they'll renew for an 11th series. Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki are on $1 million per episode for the three year run. Nice work if you can get it.

Over the current series and next year, I think the overall story will be Bernadette and Howard having the baby around the start of Series 10, so that will be their storyline for the season. Leonard and Penny will eventually move into Penny's flat permanently and Amy will move in with Sheldon. Amy and Sheldon will get engaged and Penny will probably get pregnant along the way. Who knows with Raj? He's the only character they have any leeway with relationship wise now. I suppose it depends if it's wrapped up in S10 or goes on another season.

I do find that 24 episodes per series is a bit of a stretch. There is definitely far less funny science related episodes now which is a shame, but I'd say at least 8-9 episodes of each season is filler and not great. I still watch it but it's more to see what they do with the characters at the end now, rather than for funny storylines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Just saw the latest - dreadful stuff altogether. So after 9 and half seasons im calling it a day

smilerf wrote: »
    Just saw the latest - dreadful stuff altogether. So after 9 and half seasons im calling it a day
    The birthday episode? I thought it was OK, though Sheldon's behaviour is as weird as ever. He's making progress, but not in a straight line. If it took you nine-and-a-half seasons to spot the show's problems ..? ;)

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The birthday episode? I thought it was OK, though Sheldon's behaviour is as weird as ever. He's making progress, but not in a straight line. If it took you nine-and-a-half seasons to spot the show's problems ..? ;)
    i would guess the previous episode (based on when the post was) which was, imo, a very poor episode. The Karaoke one, very poor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

After a run of 3 or so fairly good episodes, the birthday one felt bizarre and like it was left over from a previous season. It just felt entirely out of place; it almost felt like watching a "reunion" special of an ended show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

i would guess the previous episode (based on when the post was) which was, imo, a very poor episode. The Karaoke one, very poor imo.

I agree.

There were some funny bits, but the karaoke went on a bit too long. INMO it would have been far funnier if it was a 5 second cut in.

The episode was just focused around the
    pregnancy
    and I think that a fair amount of filler was required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

After a run of 3 or so fairly good episodes, the birthday one felt bizarre and like it was left over from a previous season. It just felt entirely out of place; it almost felt like watching a "reunion" special of an ended show.

It's funny you say you think it was leftover from a previous season, because when I was watching it, all I could think was that every single one of them look so much older than they usually do. Penny and Sheldon looked like they were both ill, Leonard's hairline seemed to have receded a couple of inches since the previous episode, and Kripke is going gray at the sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Stopped watching a long time ago but feel it's going the same way as How I Met Your Mother, very strong at the start but just ran out of ideas and now time to kill it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It's funny you say you think it was leftover from a previous season, because when I was watching it, all I could think was that every single one of them look so much older than they usually do. Penny and Sheldon looked like they were both ill, Leonard's hairline seemed to have receded a couple of inches since the previous episode, and Kripke is going gray at the sides.
    I meant the script, but perhaps what you mentioned is why I also thought it felt a bit like a "reunion" episode.

It was a bit weird. The Leslie Winkle character hasn't been in it for 5 or 6 series I reckon, so it was a bit random having her back for this particular one without explanation. The character didn't add anything to the storyline and they could have done it without her. Much the same with Kripke and Leonard's mother. They seemed to be shoehorned in for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It was a bit weird. The Leslie Winkle character hasn't been in it for 5 or 6 series I reckon, so it was a bit random having her back for this particular one without explanation. The character didn't add anything to the storyline and they could have done it without her. Much the same with Kripke and Leonard's mother. They seemed to be shoehorned in for the sake of it.

Back for the 200th episode celebrations. You're right though. It didn't really make sense that they all showed up out of the blue.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

This has always been a show that id watch if it was on tv but never watched it start to finish - Now halfway through season 3 and still laugh at the episodes i'd already seen. Plus watching the Sheldon -Penny relationship develop is quite funny.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Back for the 200th episode celebrations. You're right though. It didn't really make sense that they all showed up out of the blue.

Ok, that makes sense. It was lost on me though. I'd imagine the average viewer wouldn't know that, so it just seemed a bit odd. It just seems to be a fairly forgettable episode overall.

Ok, that makes sense. It was lost on me though. I'd imagine the average viewer wouldn't know that, so it just seemed a bit odd. It just seems to be a fairly forgettable episode overall.

Yeah I think like everything it eventually runs its course. If you watch a early episode and then one from the latest season its particularly noticeable how much poorer the episodes have become.

Yeah I think like everything it eventually runs its course. If you watch a early episode and then one from the latest season its particularly noticeable how much poorer the episodes have become.

The science is all but disappeared from the show, which is a shame, because it made it a little different. I can't recall the last time they shot a scene at the university cafe/lab etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Aah, that was episode 200. Kind of makes sense now then. Still, it did seem like there were just characters turning up out of nowhere, for no reason. Continued the put downs on Stewart too, which is getting a stale and ridiculous now.

Overall, the show is dying, I think. Still some laughable moments, but not nearly as much as in the earlier seasons.

Just watched Ep. 19, which has a glaring plot hole in it.
    If Sheldon's secretly hoarding everything he's ever owned, how has he been getting it all in there? Leonard doesn't know, and he had to get Amy to drive him there just so he could show her. Taxis?

— Kingsley Amis

Just watched Ep. 19, which has a glaring plot hole in it.
    If Sheldon's secretly hoarding everything he's ever owned, how has he been getting it all in there? Leonard doesn't know, and he had to get Amy to drive him there just so he could show her. Taxis?
    It's such a stupid and out-of-character thing as well. It's effective shark-jumping to do character progression without actually working it into a script. It's just lazy and a little insulting to the audience (although I'm sure the vast majority don't care).

Ep 20 was very poor. As much as I like the show I think its ran its course now and they've ran out of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Watched one yesterday where they were away in a cabin for a weekend. Jokes were telegraphed a mile away and he laughter track is way overdone. If it was ever funny, it isn't anymore.

Ep 20 was very poor. As much as I like the show I think its ran its course now and they've ran out of ideas.

ya i thought it was cat too. It just seemed so forced that even as filler episodes go, it's one i'd never watch again.

It's time to start winding up the series. They're not going to do that in the next four episodes, but they could in one more series and bring all the storylines to an end.

the quality has definitely taken a nose dive this season, i wonder if its the fact that the actors got their big new deals, 3 of them pulling in an easy million dollars an episode, and the others getting major increases, that they have made up the difference in the creative department, or that the creative department have said **** this **** and just given up, i mean why bother when your work isnt appreciated,

i do wonder on these shows does anyone actually take a step back and ask themselves are we moving forward, are we holding steady, or in the case here falling down a very deep hole filled with piss and ****,

ive defended this show on many occasions, until this point i believed it had 1 pretty bad season, and it recovered well from it, but this season is worse than that one, by a fair margin, until this season they had been making a pretty worthy episode every 4-6 episodes, making it worthwhile sticking with, its actually hard to recall even on decent episode this season, probably 2, and even they have been lost in the mix of **** that they have made this year,

i still probably wont abandon the show, and keep faith that next year a lesson can be learned and they can give us one more season worth watching, i think going past the 10 season mark would be a major mistake, but with the ratings their pulling in i wouldnt be surprised to hear a 2 if not 3 season renewal again next year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Latest episode was quite good

There might be life in the old dog yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

smilerf wrote:
    There might be life in the old dog yet

Life in the old dog or flogging a dead horse?

If you look back at old shows after they they finish, they rarely get good again once they turn rubbish.

It was a funny story, geeks and gals, but it's been told. No point expecting anything from it now. It's not funny anymore, it's just familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It's the relentless bullying of Stewart I don't understand.

4 guys who have been victims all thier lives, become successful and in turn humiliate someone who just wants to be thier friend.

Advertisement