Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood storage/drying

• 13-03-2014 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I have 16 bags(m3) of oak and 6 pallets stacked 6ft high with a yard of bulk logs mixed to ring and split. Going to sell next winter by the barrow bag hopefully. Obviously if we get a summer like last there'll be no probs but if it's as normal and wet will it season away out but covered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Aya xxv wrote: »
    I have 16 bags(m3) of oak and 6 pallets stacked 6ft high with a yard of bulk logs mixed to ring and split. Going to sell next winter by the barrow bag hopefully. Obviously if we get a summer like last there'll be no probs but if it's as normal and wet will it season away out but covered

Best to keep wood covered for wood to be seasoned properly. Otherwise you end up with damp wood that is poor and / or slow to burn and produces tar type substances that will reck your chimney.

Buyers will not want to buy bags of soaking wet logs either.

To dry set up simple roofed structure, - it doesn't need walls just that the stacked wood benefits from wind to promote drying ( and better burning) and a roof to keep the wood dry.

Covering with a tarpaulin doesn't work the same as the wood does not dry out as well as allowing wind to pass around logs to aid drying. In Switzerland and Italy they have some fantastic wood storage structures that require very little construction.

If you have a walled yard you could construct a simple lean too with minimal cost that would provide storage and drying for all the wood

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

Thanks for that a lean to in the yard is on the cards when roubles allow! What sort of structures are you talking about in Italy and Switzerland. Any pictures or plans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

+1 on the lean to
    110 degree 1 inch box iron anchor bolted to a wall/back of a shed
    Galvanised roof or timber with felt roof should be adequate enough to season timber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Aya xxv wrote: »
    Thanks for that a lean to in the yard is on the cards when roubles allow! What sort of structures are you talking about in Italy and Switzerland. Any pictures or plans!

I have came across a varied types of construction on my travels. The simplest was four uprights with a galvanised roof and a circular one with wood stacked around a central pole with a small conical roof on top, I know I have photographs but where!. Had this link saved - bit on the small size but gives a general idea + plans. Your lean to sounds the job tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

Yeah have since got 2 more loads of sycamore in bulk. I find when I ring and split a load it works out to be about 10 to 12 m3 bulk bags. So it's starting to build up a bit! My dad and brother are looking at all of it and wondering what's going on!!!! I might do better selling them in small bags but going to shift some bulk early to pay for the lean to materials. I have a few stove owners lined up that have log stores and are willing to season it themselves. Thank god for friendly tree surgeons! I'm getting the bulk bags for nowt of a few farmer mates and will deliver locally. Hopefully this will turn into a nice earner next winter although a lot of lads at it. I'm going to try and ensure all of mine is well seasoned and as dry as it can be without kiln drying. Provide a good product and I think I'll get repeat orders......... Here's hoping

• Advertisement

Well hopefully a drop in softwood prices will come fairly quick. with all the Darwin damage, shouldn't be too long.
    Enquire whether any of your stove users are willing to buy softwood at a cheaper price than hardwood.dried out, softwood is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

I'm not too keen on the standard tonne bag for storing timber. I'd recommend going the extra few euro for vented tonne bags.

I'm not too keen on the standard tonne bag for storing timber. I'd recommend going the extra few euro for vented tonne bags.

Are the vented much more expensive than the half tonne sand/grain?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

djflawless wrote: »
    Are the vented much more expensive than the half tonne sand/grain?

I bought some from a fella in limerick and if I remember correctly they were 3 or 4 euro more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Make sure that the Sycamore logs have plenty of ventilation when seasoning, as they are prone to going mouldy(more than other types of wood).This is'nt really a problem if you are using them yourself, but if you are going to be selling them, then you will want to prevent this for presentation/hygene reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

[QUOTE=Aya xxv;89614757So it's starting to build up a bit! My dad and brother are looking at all of it and wondering what's going on!!!! [/QUOTE]

Now, these would sort out your stacking problem, AND would really get them talking...:D

http://gowood.blogspot.ie/2012/12/real-firewood-stacking.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Checkout sacks.ie... Prices look pretty competitive to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Checked out website for the bags.The 'vented/mesh' ones look ok -they have two closed sides and two open mesh sides.I did note that the builders bag sized one(90×90×90 cm) only holds .7 cubic metre, and the larger one(90×90×150cm) holds 1.2 cubic metre.They don't seem to have a cubic metre one.
    They appear not to have tipping loops (bottom of bag) which I've seen on other brands.

Advertisement