Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liriope Spicata Grass

• 13-03-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

So this may be a very specific garden expert question. The other day I just saw some liriope spicata grass being used in a garden picture as a border grass(see attached). It looked amazing set against the sandy pea gravel walkway and from some very basic research it seems to be an Asian grass but I'm wondering would it survive in Ireland due to climate and soil conditions or would it fail? What kind of maintenance does it have or is this just a bad idea!!?!!?!! Just going over different ideas as we're currently planning our new home :D. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

wiki says zones 4-10 for it, we are pretty much zone 8-9ish so should be fine. (USDA Hardiness zones)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriope_spicata

Have seen that pic on pintrest before, its lovely. Don't forget the hostas for the other side of the path!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looks similar to Liriope Muscari which is a resilient evergreen grass like plant and produces wonderful blue flowers late in winter/early spring. So far it thrives whenever we use it and growing well in my own garden also. I usually plant it within a selection of different ornamental grasses featuring Carex Evergold, Acorus Ogons, Ophiopogon nigresens (black as well as the green version).

Eyecatching and easily managed plants, add a few tete a tete narcissi + Hyacinths and you have a wonderful display for the Spring garden.

Advertisement