Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling my contract

Options
  • 13-03-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I tried PMing the O2 base here but they ignored the part of my PM I wanted answered so hoping I'll have better luck here.
    Last month, I bought a mobile broadband dongle from their store under a 6month contract. From when I first started using it, I was having problems with the connection in that one minute, it would be there, next it wouldn't and some pages wouldn't load at all. I was trying to get this issue resolved through the representatives on here but was getting nowhere. Then the dongle cut out completely and I took the dongle into an O2 shop. There I was informed that the dongle had gotten wet, therefore wasn't under warranty so there was nothing they could do and sent me on my way. As I was still a bill pay customer, this meant I not only have already paid for a month with terrible internet, but would have to continue to pay for 5months of zero internet. I should mention that there was no way I could have gotten the dongle wet as it was either plugged into my laptop, or in my bag beside my laptop. Also, the problems started from the first time I plugged in the device.
    So I got back onto the representatives here where on the public forum, I got told I may be entitled to a different dongle. However, I was then informed I would have to buy another dongle for €40. At this stage, however, I just want to cancel my contract and move elsewhere. Is there any way I can do this without incurring a fee as I haven't got the internet I had signed up for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can only get out of your contract if you can prove that O2 are not able live up to their obligation under that contract. Unfortunately, that means going through their dispute resolution process. I would question the water damage. Ask them to prove that beyond doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

RangeR wrote: »
    You can only get out of your contract if you can prove that O2 are not able live up to their obligation under that contract. Unfortunately, that means going through their dispute resolution process. I would question the water damage. Ask them to prove that beyond doubt.
    Thanks for you reply. What would be proof that they weren't living up to their obligation? Would the messages between me and O2 explaining the problem suffice?

sup_dude wrote: »
    Thanks for you reply. What would be proof that they weren't living up to their obligation? Would the messages between me and O2 explaining the problem suffice?

It would be a bit more involved than that, I'm afraid. You have to interact with their technical support department over the duration of a couple of weeks and show that their suggestions failed to resolve the issue.

To be honest, there is a current day problem where the networks are selling their mobile internet products as broadband. It's not broadband. Far from it.

It would be a bit more involved than that, I'm afraid. You have to interact with their technical support department over the duration of a couple of weeks and show that their suggestions failed to resolve the issue.

To be honest, there is a current day problem where the networks are selling their mobile internet products as broadband. It's not broadband. Far from it.

Unfortunately, I can't get through to a human technical support assistant. I've tried two different numbers given to me, both of which lead to the same result of trying a different USB port and then no further options. I've also tried all the suggestions given to me through the Talk To service here. The only option they have given me now is to buy a new dongle as there is no longer any other way to fix the problem.
    I think my biggest issue is that I rely quite a lot on the internet so running around in circles is causing problems as I have to use my phone, which is far from ideal practically and financially.

Unfortunately, I can't get through to a human technical support assistant. I've tried two different numbers given to me, both of which lead to the same result of trying a different USB port and then no further options. I've also tried all the suggestions given to me through the Talk To service here. The only option they have given me now is to buy a new dongle as there is no longer any other way to fix the problem.
    I think my biggest issue is that I rely quite a lot on the internet so running around in circles is causing problems as I have to use my phone, which is far from ideal practically and financially.

You have a smart phone? Do you have a spare smart phone?
    You can put your O2 internet SIM into that and use the phone as a hotspot.

• Advertisement

You have a smart phone? Do you have a spare smart phone?
    You can put your O2 internet SIM into that and use the phone as a hotspot.
    I think I need the phone to be unlocked to O2. Anyone I know with a spare phone is Vodafone though.

I think I need the phone to be unlocked to O2. Anyone I know with a spare phone is Vodafone though.

If the phone is an O2 one, you don't need it unlocked. It will take any O2 SIM.

If the phone is an O2 one, you don't need it unlocked. It will take any O2 SIM.

It's Vodafone, I'm afraid. Only the internet dongle is O2 as they offered a 6 month contract.

Advertisement