Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking rooms into one

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I need an interior dividing wall removed,possibly install an rsj to support the upper floors,carpentry and plastering.

The wall is approx 12 ft long(lavarock) with an existing door opening.

Any ideas on cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

At first find out is it structural wall or just a partition, that makes a big difference.
    There's costs which will be no matter what type of wall You have:
    skip: mini skip 100-150 (depends on location); small skip 150-200 (same all depends where You are)
    Painting 2 rooms 150-250euro per job and 7-10l of paint (average 5l per room or 250ml per/m2) plus ceiling paint 5l
    Than if it's a structural wall it may cost You around 1000euros to get rid of it, but partition will cost You from 300euros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

At first find out is it structural wall or just a partition, that makes a big difference.
    There's costs which will be no matter what type of wall You have:
    skip: mini skip 100-150 (depends on location); small skip 150-200 (same all depends where You are)
    Painting 2 rooms 150-250euro per job and 7-10l of paint (average 5l per room or 250ml per/m2) plus ceiling paint 5l
    Than if it's a structural wall it may cost You around 1000euros to get rid of it, but partition will cost You from 300euros.

I'm pretty sure it's a structural walll...but it had been a much wider opening at some point and there was a stud wall built to narrow it further so approx 8 ' of it is stud wall...maybe three feet either side would be structural.

I'm pretty handy at painting myself and i can organise a skip for 100 euros.

I was thinking maybe to cut an arch using a con saw and then plaster it up as well as patching the gap in the wooden floor where the wall is.

The main thing that concerns me is the possible need for an RSJ to support the floors above...is thre an easy way to tell if there's a concrete lintel in place already?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Maybe 3 feet is supporting RSJ above stud wall?
    You can demolish stud wall, because it's unlikely structural and than You can take a better look at the structure. Don't cut arch with con-saw it won't work, you can build arch using frame or bricks but first fin out how.

Advertisement