Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the responsible dog owners?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I jog daily on Ballymoneen Road and the amount of dog poo on the sides of the road and sidewalk is beyond disgusting. Why do people not clean up after their dogs? I bring two bags with me when walking/running my dog to clean up after her. In the last 7 months I've seen one other person picking up dog poo. Not only is it disgusting but it's how some parasites are spread.

I realize that some people in the area just let their dogs wander, especially on the weekends, but do they not care how dangerous that is for their dogs? I've seen so many dogs nearly get hit by cars running in and out of traffic.

It's disgusting and frustrating. I don't understand how so many dog owners in the area can act so irresponsibly. It's your community, do you really want it filled with dog poo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

yeah, had the same thought this morning while walking my toddler in Cappagh Park.... I couldn't let him wander off the tarmac paths due to the dog ****.... meanwhile, about 10 people (all women as it happens) passed us with their dogs off leash and trotting some way behind them... these owners obviously have no clue whether their mutt relieved themselves along the path or not and obviously mé féin-ism is alive & well. disgusting and wilfully selfish.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

It's the same on the prom. Quite a lot of people do clean up after the dogs, but there are the usual, invariably middle aged women from what I've seen, who ignore the unleashed dog or have a quick glance around and keep walking away briskly. The day or two after a spell of wet weather is the worst as all the doggies get taken out for a walk after being couped up and there is crap everywhere. Why a warden couldn't be sent out to these hotspots, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Galway is one of the worst cities I've ever been in, in terms of dog s#it everywhere. The city I'm in now has way more dogs around, people take them on buses/trams and into shops. I've yet to see a single mess on the footpath. I've seen people spending quite a long time collecting...less solid waste from their dogs whereas in Ireland I know most people wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Galway is one of the worst cities I've ever been in, in terms of dog s#it everywhere. The city I'm in now has way more dogs around, people take them on buses/trams and into shops. I've yet to see a single mess on the footpath. I've seen people spending quite a long time collecting...less solid waste from their dogs whereas in Ireland I know most people wouldnt bother.

Went for a wall around the swamp there in claddagh. Beer cans and dog poo everywhere. Such a pity. I don't mind ppl having a few drinks, walking their dog- bit should clean up after themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I haven't been to Cappagh Park for a year or so, but it used to drive me nuts! You would sometimes see carefully collected and bagged dog pooh left on the side of the path - that's when it was bagged at all, of course. :confused:

You'd also often see a dog squatting right in the middle of one of the pitches, even as people were trying to play on them, while the owner was conveniently distracted by a butterfly flying by or some other such thing.

Once I was there and there were a couple of young lads playing football on one of the pitches. A couple walked by with their two lovely purebred dogs - off the leash. While one of the dogs took a dump right beside the path (which was not picked up), the other dog (quite a large dog) made a beeline for the boys on the pitch. The woman called out to the boys, "watch out! pick up your ball or he'll take it!"

I really wanted to confront her, but I was intimidated, to be honest. The dogs were both large and one was a bit aggressive looking (as was the man).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

THe park in Doughiska and the Doughiska road both have dogs ****ting freely all over them. Since there are primary schools and creches right next to the park you would think that something might be done to prevent people let their dogs **** everywhere.

In other places there are laws against allowing it with fines levied. It just doesn't seem to be considered in this town. It has disgusted me in the past.

Surely something could be done? Are there no laws concerning dog **** in Ireland?
    Certainly think there are in UK & The US.
    & from what I've been told dog **** does cause disease in humans. So it shouldn't be happening in places where kids or indeed adults are likely to fall into it. Surprised none of the people playing football etc on the park have said anything about it.

Have been wondering what the story is as regards the law here for a while. Would think making sure that dog owners carried pooper scoopers and there were places to leave the mess (should really be able to take it home if one is a responsible owner shouldn't one?). & failing pooper scoopers simply carrying a strong plastic sandwich type bag would prevent piles of dog **** being left around. I would strongly think it was part of the responsibility of being a dog owner that one didn't screw things up for other park users.

Maybe an awareness campaign is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

cappagh park is disgusting - you have to walk with your head down to make sure you don't walk into dog poo. Also, this really annoys me - it seems to be a dog haven - I have been there when there have been many people walking dogs at the same time - all dogs off the leash, running madly around. For those people who don't have dogs it can get quite stressful watching a dog bounding towards you with two or three others behind, barking away. Leash your dogs - the park is for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I'm a responsible dog owner!

When I walk, I bring my poo bags (200 for €2 in Mr Price). I have given them to others who didn't have them. Some who were walking away from the poo until I offered a bag as politely as possible through gritted teeth.

Gobshítes like this have tarnished all dog walkers for many people, I fear.

I have walked in poo, the buggy has gone through poo and my dog has stood on other dog's poo. I agree that it is disgusting and it maddens me that others don't pick up their dog's poo. It's such a lack of respect and decency.

I think that small dogs are the probably worst offenders. Owners tend to let small dogs wander more freely than larger dogs. Out of sight and out of mind.

If dogs are controlled and just having roughhousing fun in a park, I don't generally have a problem with it. But that's the thing, they must be controlled in some form, not necessarily on a lead. My dog is rarely off lead as he wouldn't be the best to come back. We have come across many dogs who shouldn't be off a lead at all but who come right up in a confrontational manner causing trouble maybe with a brief, curt 'sorry' from the owner. It is irresponsible and selfish.

So in summary, there are a hell of a lot of terrible dog owners around. But we're not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

again, it's all well & good letting off steam on here but unless the management of the city know our feelings on this (they're not mindreaders) they won't feel any pressure to act on it...
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/ParksandRecreation/Contact/

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

With due respect the councils know well. It's not as if this issue doesn't come up regularly. It's long overdue for some enforcement action against the offenders. Shame them in public.

If you want to see one of the most disgusting examples walk up Raleigh row which is right beside a primary school. One or more dogs poo there all the time right in the middle of the pathway exactly where the children walk. Clearly owned by a local who should have it smeared on their nose. Also in the grass areas directly outside the school. I know for a fact this issue has been raised repeatedly but nothing has been done. The other day I was in Renville, again there was lots of dog faeces in the grass. To the extent I stopped the kids playing football there.

Fortunately for these owners I've never seen it happen as I'm quite ready to give them a piece of my mind. I do see responsible owners and well done them. But far too many couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

folbotcar wrote: »
    With due respect the councils know well. It's not as if this issue doesn't come up regularly. It's long overdue for some enforcement action against the offenders. Shame them in public.

This. It's not like a water main leak or a broken street light. Enough of the council staff spend time in public amenity spaces to be just as familiar with teh problem as the rest of us. It's just a reluctance to tackle it beyond putting up a few signs. Then again, most of the crapping is done outside of council hours so that pretty much rules out having a council warden. That said, there is guy who is tasked with cleaning the prom for the council in the little road sweeper who does a great job, I even see him at 7:30 on a Sunday morning, so it can be done if the will is there.

folbotcar wrote: »
    If you want to see one of the most disgusting examples walk up Raleigh row

If you think Raleigh Row is bad you should try taking a stroll up Rosary Lane by Scoil Rois. It is disgusting. I suspect these dogs live very close by and are just let out for a crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Gambas wrote: »
    If you think Raleigh Row is bad you should try taking a stroll up Rosary Lane by Scoil Rois. It is disgusting. I suspect these dogs live very close by and are just let out for a crap.
    I can imagine. I've honestly never seen it as bad anywhere else I've been around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Gambas wrote: »

Really? I thought Raleigh Row was worse, as if poop was picked up from other parts and all dropped off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

I completely agree with all previous posts and had enough. It really is disgusting so I have started to politely point it out to the owners in a nonconfrontational manner. If it was another country people wouldn't hesitate pointing it out. I know I will come across defensive or arrogant people but times come to stop turning a blind eye......
    Think I will bring some spare bags in my pocket...for those who forget theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

cappagh park is disgusting - you have to walk with your head down to make sure you don't walk into dog poo. Also, this really annoys me - it seems to be a dog haven - I have been there when there have been many people walking dogs at the same time - all dogs off the leash, running madly around. For those people who don't have dogs it can get quite stressful watching a dog bounding towards you with two or three others behind, barking away. Leash your dogs - the park is for everybody.

If you don't like dogs you need to avoid this area. Cappagh park is widely advertised as a primary dog park within the city so a lot of dog owners specifically bring their dogs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

Barna woods are absolutely disgusting as well. It is not possible to walk there without treading in some. I just don't bring the kids there any more, nor to the park. People are disgusting. I watched one owner who stood idly by whilst her dog shat all over the path and as she started to walk away, I asked her why she didn't do one herself there while she was at it. Galway is the worst place I have ever been for it, and I say this as a galwegian. The prom in fairness is waaaay better than it was a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Its an awful waste of public parks, so much money has been spent by the councils developing parks for everyone to use. I really don't get it, I'm sure the majority of dog owners don't like treading in poo either. Wonder how many people were issued with fines in Galway for not picking up after their dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

No sense in complaining on here. Let the council know that they need to get some wardens down to the parks, particularly cappagh. Plenty of on the spot fines and enforcement will soon change habits - or more likely people will find elsewhere to bring their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

Bringing spare bags is a great idea and if you see someone not picking up after there dog to give them a bag. And I also will write to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

I saw a dog on a leash relieve himself on shop street last week, and the owner just left it there....on shop street!! Ignorance of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

zarquon wrote: »
    If you don't like dogs you need to avoid this area. Cappagh park is widely advertised as a primary dog park within the city so a lot of dog owners specifically bring their dogs there.

I have never heard of somebody to be told to avoid a park because it is primarily for dogs. Where is all this advertising. Does this advertising say that dogs can run wild in packs, intimidating walkers and poo'ing all over the ground and if you don't like it then leave the park. How ridiculous. and shame on the dirty owners who leave the poo lying round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I have never heard of somebody to be told to avoid a park because it is primarily for dogs. Where is all this advertising. Does this advertising say that dogs can run wild in packs, intimidating walkers and poo'ing all over the ground and if you don't like it then leave the park. How ridiculous. and shame on the dirty owners who leave the poo lying round.

dogwithgun.jpg

Advertisement