Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To engrave or not?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello All,
    I have registered under the new cunning name to fool burglars...

Anyway:
    I inherited a Rolex ( Oyster Perpetual Datejust ) , I have all docs and packaging also.

Questions:
    - I want to get it engraved, for sentimental and security reasons, probably just a date. Can an 'ordinary' jeweller do this ? Or could someone recommend one? ( North East )
    -Also, from a security point of view, is there any other suggestion? I would like to make it readily identifiable and worthless to a potential seller...... eg engraving the body of the watch or engraving inside?
    - is there a database where I can register it so as to enable international recovery etc?

Of course it is insured, but my reasoning is that I would like to be able to make it identifiable in case of loss or theft..... and thus possibly returned...

Many thanks....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Your Rolex Oyster should already have an individual number engraved at the 6 o clock side between the lugs, this should match the number on the guarantee.
    If that number has been filed off, then your watch is probably worthless.
    Rolex keep a database, so if your watch goes missing, you can register it as missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Newwatch

Sound Man,

Just found it there.
    Photographed and sent to cyberspace.

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I think that capturing the watches serial is probably enough; adding a personal engraving for security reasons is probably kidding yourself as this can be filled in with laser welding and be made to disappear if the thief is really determined.

Don't get too excited about the Rolex lost and found database as public access to this was removed a couple of years ago. They still keep the database but you can't ring up with a serial number any more and get them to check it. If I buy a Rolex/Tudor I always bring it to their central London service desk where they automatically run the serial number through their system (apparently something flashes up on screen if it's registered as lost/stolen) but I'm not sure who else further down the food chain can now get access to this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personal engravings devalue a watch if you ever come to sell it. If you're going to keep it as a family piece then I'd not worry a jot on that score TBH. Invest in a quality floor safe and keep it there when not wearing it is another option. Insuring it separately with an agreed value is yet another good idea. I don't think the general house insurance will cover it, if it's not declared? Generally beefing up home security is a very good idea anyway.

Also be careful if you take photos of it and put them online in a forum like here for example. Phones can add in GPS coordinates into Jpegs. I nearly got caught out there TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Newwatch

Thanks for that info.......

Will just grin and wear it....

• Advertisement
Advertisement