If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound.

Options
  • 13-03-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I have speakers in my ceilings in my sitting room, kitchen & bedroom. They're not connected up yet (although all the wires are there) but I'm gonna try to get it done pretty soon & have no idea what I actually need. I had an electrician come over to take a look last night & even he wasn't sure what I need. He told me to call to an electrical shop & they'll tell me what I need to get.

Does anyone have any ideas of the requirements? I'm clueless & want to have at least some sort of idea before I go about it any further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You can buy speaker cable in any wholesalers. Don't think that dude was much of an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ffm

You can buy speaker cable in any wholesalers. Don't think that dude was much of an electrician.
    Do I need anything else though? Is it simply a case of connecting up the wires & the speakers will work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi ffm, thanks for the post and it does sound like you need a little advice.

We would need to know a little more about what you have and what you are trying to achieve.

What type / make / model are the speakers ?
    Are you just looking to play music from the same source to all the speakers at the same time or are you looking at multiroom which would have different music in different rooms ?
    Can you get access to put speaker cables in and is there somewhere they can all be ran back to ?
    Do you have any form of hifi / home cinema system at present ?
    What equipment would you like to use with the speakers ? Ipod, tablet, cd player etc etc
    Do you have a budget in mind ?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't really give you an accurate answer without having some / all of this info.

Many thanks

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Have you an amplifier to run all of these speakers?

They are probably 100v speakers as they are scattered around the house so will have long cable runs so look on the back of one of the speakers to find the details about them.

If they are 100v speakers then you will need a 100v amplifier. These are different to normal amplifiers.

If you take a picture of the back of the speakers and the cables for them it would help us alot more :)

Hi ffm, thanks for the post and it does sound like you need a little advice.

We would need to know a little more about what you have and what you are trying to achieve.

Are you just looking to play music from the same source to all the speakers at the same time or are you looking at multiroom which would have different music in different rooms ?
    Can you get access to put speaker cables in and is there somewhere they can all be ran back to ?
    What equipment would you like to use with the speakers ? Ipod, tablet, cd player etc etc

Sorry for all the questions but I can't really give you an accurate answer without having some / all of this info.

Many thanks

Dave
    Ok, Dave, no problem with all the questions. I realize that the info is a little vague.

There's no actual brand on them. They're in the ceiling (like spotlights) & there's no name on them. They were a feature with the house when I bought it.

No, I'm looking for multiroom. Have a docking station & television connected to the speakers on the ground floor & the same for the bedroom. Obviously, I want the speakers upstairs to be connected only to the telly in the bedroom.

As far as I can make out, the speakers are actually wired up. They're just not connected to anything that carries audio. No form of home cinema system at present but am hoping to get an unreal telly during the week so want to get the best use out of the speakers.

As mentioned, just the television & docking stations on both floors. As for a budget, the best answer I can give you is I want it done properly but as cheaply as possible.

• Advertisement

sfbonner wrote: »
    Have you an amplifier to run all of these speakers?

They are probably 100v speakers as they are scattered around the house so will have long cable runs so look on the back of one of the speakers to find the details about them.

If they are 100v speakers then you will need a 100v amplifier. These are different to normal amplifiers.

If you take a picture of the back of the speakers and the cables for them it would help us alot more :)
    No amplifier.

I can't look at the back of them as they are fitted in to the ceiling.

I'll take a picture of them tomorrow & give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi FFm.

To be honest, the type of speaker is critical.

If they are 100 volt line then you will require specific equipment to put on the back of the speakers to power them.

If they are standard passive speakers then you could use the likes of Sonos or a combination of Sonos and amplifiers if you wanted to keep the budget down or you could look at the new Monitor A100 airstream amplifier.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/monitor-audio-launches-airstream-a100-wireless-streaming-amplifier

If you can get one of the speakers out of the ceiling then it may be easier to see the back. The grille usually comes off, by sliding a blade in the side and gently coaxing the grille downwards. Underneath this there are normally a number of screws. If you remove these the speaker should come out of the ceiling.

Model number, make, anything to go on would be good.

Unfortunately without this it's going be to difficult to recommend what way to proceed.

On the connection side of things. How does your TV, dock etc wire into the existing speakers. Is there some sort of connection on the wall or equipment somewhere that you plug into ?

Hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.