Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Street Names

Options
  • 13-03-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I'd get information on how certain Dublin streets were named?

I'm specifically interested in Fitzroy Avenue and Georges Avenue in Lower Drumcondra. I'd like to find out who this particular Fitzroy was and similarly, who was the George in this instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When were they built, and by whom? The street names in suburban developments in Dublin were often chosen by the developer, and may e.g. commemorate members of his own family. I have a friend who has a road in Terenure named after her - her father was the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I looked online at a house for sale on Fitzroy Avenue and it said that the house was built by Alexander Strain in 1908. I know from Thom's Directory that they were actually built around 1903 so although the ad said that its Strain built, I'd like to verify that before I'd take it as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 8jan

Hello

I wonder does anybody know where Kingsland House, South Circular Road, Dublin was located and if it still stands? Kingsland House is also referred to as Harrington Terrace, South Circular road, and references to both places only seem to appear from the late 1860s to the late 1870s. They seem both to be have been in the vicinity of Harrington Street on the South Circular road. Hope someone can help, and thanks.

Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

8jan wrote: »
    ..I wonder does anybody know where Kingsland House, South Circular Road, Dublin was located and if it still stands? Kingsland House is also referred to as Harrington Terrace, South Circular road, and references to both places only seem to appear from the late 1860s to the late 1870s. They seem both to be have been in the vicinity of Harrington Street on the South Circular road. Hope someone can help, and thanks...

in 1879 Harrington Terrace is listed under 'South Circular Road, Portobello' between Stamer St. and Kingsland park, so it seems to be a terrace on the main road. Thom's lists 10 names on the terrace for that year, but no 'Kingsland House'.

Stamer St. is still there and almost opposite the RC church, Kingsland park Ave. was the street to the west ...

Thom's 1879 again... Kingsland Park Ave. is listed, From Circular Rd. to Florence St., houses numbered 1 to 14 are listed along with a James Keely at Kingsland House, a Grocer, tea, wine and spirit merch. The only sign I've seen on maps is a possible match in 1880 - the large house on the east side Kingsland Park. Ave. see : South Dublin - c1880

304575.jpg

The later OSI map from c1890 appears to show a row of houses instead, on that side of the road.

p.s. there's also a Kingsland Terrace listed on the S.C.R., in the same area (Portobello)

• Advertisement

Many thanks Shanew, you've gone to a lot of trouble and I am very grateful. It does seem the house you have identified was Kingsland House on Kingsland Park Avenue. My greatest problem is trying to identify who was resident there in 1868, for the occupant composed (anonymously) a political pamphlet, naming only his residence, Kingsland House, South Circular Road, Dublin. I have a suspicion it was Dr George Ferdinand Shaw, who in 1863 was resident in Harrington Street. But I could be - and often am - completely wrong.

the 1869 listing for Kingsland Park Ave. just mentions the 14 houses, presumably those to the west - no sign that I could see of Kingsland house. Kingsland Park Ave. is not listed in the 1868 edition - there is a Kingsland Park, Portobello without the avenue, but it's separate and appears in both 1868 and 1869.

I had a quick look for the name you mentioned in the gentry, merchants & traders index 1868 and 1869, and there is just one George Shaw, no middle initial, in 1869 living at Torca Hill, Dalkey. The same name appears in the medical practitioners listing with an address (practice or surgery ?) at 93 Talbot St. Same details for him in 1868.

No sign of a George Shaw medical practitioner in 1865, but there is George Ferdinand Shaw F.T.C.D. at 11 Harrington St. A cross check of the same address in 1868 and 69 shows different name - a Mrs. G. Young (both years).

Once again Shanew, my thanks. Dr Shaw separated from his wife in 1866, so this might explain the change of name at 11 Harrington St. I suppose it is within the realms of possibility he removed to nearby Kingsland House for a period, his job was in TCD. I have indeed found references to a Dr Shaw MD at the same period, just to add confusion, but the details you provided help to separate the two.

Advertisement