Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't adopt one cat?

• 13-03-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi all, our family finally decided to adopt a cat from a local rescue centre. Between us, we are at home four days a week, but on 3 days we would be out from 9 until 6 one day and the other two days out from 9 till about 3 roughly. The lady at the rescue centre that we went to meet said they wouldn't allow us to adopt just one cat, we would have to take two as one cat on their own would destroy the house ( her words) if we were out on those days. So we would only be allowed adopt one cat where we were at home every day- is this true of all rescue centres? And is she correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not all rescues insist on 2 cats being rehomed together. Some prefer to rehome kittens in pairs or to a home where there already is a cat. A lot of people think cats are very solitary, we've found the opposite to be the case. She probably has her reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I have had my wee one for over 2 years. I work from 9-6 everyday and my boyfriend works from 11-7. We make a fuss of her in the mornings and then in the evening even more of a one and have lots of play time. Then weekends we spend lots of time with her.
    She is perfectly happy out! She rules the roost and likes it just that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

That sounds very strange! We both work full time and adopted one cat, she's fine by herself. She actually doesn't get on with other cats at all and I think us getting another cat would just stress her out. Maybe go to another shelter or talk to another person at that shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP I would talk to other rescues near you. In an ideal world you would adopt two siblings together I suppose. There are so many unwanted/dumped cats out there that would be so happy to have your forever home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I have two cats, a brother and a sister, and if I am going to be out for any length of time I put one or both of them out. The reason is that left alone the brother attacks his sister, at least if I am there I can stop it. So two cats may or may not work together when on their own. I've had one cat, and indeed if I leave one of this pair on their own for a few hours the place is not wrecked!
    Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

The rescue that I have got all my cats from, never even enquired about someone being at home all day. I have adopted 2 kittens and 1 adult cat from them. Maybe ring around other centres. Most cats will be fine at home during the day, they like to sleep a lot, but you will either need to get a cat flap for them or a litter tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whilst our two were inseparable when young, I don't think either of them would be particularly bothered if the other one wasn't there now. I'd even go as far as to say that one of them would be a lot happier as a result !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dockleaf wrote: »
    Hi all, our family finally decided to adopt a cat from a local rescue centre. Between us, we are at home four days a week, but on 3 days we would be out from 9 until 6 one day and the other two days out from 9 till about 3 roughly. The lady at the rescue centre that we went to meet said they wouldn't allow us to adopt just one cat, we would have to take two as one cat on their own would destroy the house ( her words) if we were out on those days. So we would only be allowed adopt one cat where we were at home every day- is this true of all rescue centres? And is she correct?
    Depends on the cat to be honest; in general I'd always recommend two cats in a house because it helps keeping them entertained and social (esp. true for kittens). On the other hand I know some cats who'd always be recommended for single cat homes (i.e. they be the only one) due to not getting along with other cats.

Those cats in general would be a bit older then a kitten though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

For the record, two cats are extremely easy to look after! Not nearly as much work as you might expect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    For the record, two cats are extremely easy to look after! Not nearly as much work as you might expect!
    I second that, we have 4 and just rehomed a manically energetic kitten:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Weird. I've had three rescue cats for the last two decades. Two have died and the remaining cat is as happy, or if I am honest, happier, on his own. None of my three particularly 'liked' each other, though they were content to share space. Perhaps talk to a different rescue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My guy doesn't get on with other cats at all, so I guess it depends on the cat. I've never come home to a mess, not even when he was younger? Maybe check with another rescue, there are always older cats looking for homes, they might be better on their own, less likely to wreck the place!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I'd say that depends a lot on whether they are gonna be indoor only or indoor-outdoor cats, tbh. Mine are indoor only, and I've never been totally happy with only one cat in that situation, especially as we'd periodically go away for the weekend, leaving the neighbour (who is fantastic, and 100% trustworthy), to come and feed them and interact with them a few times a day. They love her, but I am just happier that they have interaction, if they want it, when stuck indoors without human company those other times.

I think cats who don't get on with their own kind are probably better in homes where it is safe to be an indoor-outdoor cat. But our lovely neighbour, who is so good with our cats, owns a dog who is a confirmed cat-killer, and I feel our house is too close to the road for keeping indoor-outdoor cats anyway.

So what I'd recommend totally depends on your situation. If you live in a safe place to keep an indoor-outdoor cat, I'd say go right ahead and find the one that suits you. If it will be indoor only, like ours, I'd really advise you reconsider the idea of having 2. Preferably 2 who are already friends, but we've had good success with introducing strangers of different ages, although we were careful in considering the personality types involved!

All the best of luck, whatever way you decide to go. Cats certainly do make very interesting, engaging and lovable companions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

We live in a very quiet cul de sac with a reasonably sized garden and would be happy with an indoor or an indoor-outdoor cat- whatever makes the cat happy, really. Because it's our first pet, we really just wanted to start with one, but again, if the cat wouldn't be happy on its own that wouldnt be fair. So just really trying to sound it out to see what's the best to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

sambuka41 wrote: »
    My guy doesn't get on with other cats at all, so I guess it depends on the cat. I've never come home to a mess, not even when he was younger? Maybe check with another rescue, there are always older cats looking for homes, they might be better on their own, less likely to wreck the place!!

Mine is the same. She *hates* other cats and the mere sight of one out the back is enough to set her off in a right tizzy of growling and running from window to window to keep an eye on it. In her younger days she'd have been straight out through the cat flap to give them what for. These days it's just her grumbling about "The young people (cats) of today."

Yes, most cat rescues will have at least one cat that fits into the category of "best kept on his/her own". Just keep looking around, and be prepared to take on a slightly older cat that's more set in it's ways than a couple of rumbustious kittens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, most cat rescues will have at least one cat that fits into the category of "best kept on his/her own". Just keep looking around, and be prepared to take on a slightly older cat that's more set in it's ways than a couple of rumbustious kittens.
    This! A 3 month kitten is cute until you catch them peeing in your bed because the toilet was in the other room; then a older cat starts to sound a lot more appealing!

Keep in mind even older cats love to play, cuddle and need excercising but they will have no problems knowing were to go from day 1 and their zoom moments (basically you'll think your cat has been snorting coke) will be fewer and shorter and easier to redirect.

Open to having a cat of any age, as long as they don't mind two very affectionate children ( not rough).

We just weren't given the option of any one cat- it had to be two in our circumstances.

Anyway it sounds like maybe that is just that rescue centre, and I know I could just pick up a cat on donedeal anytime, but really wanted to give a home to a cat that might need it, so I will check other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Open to having a cat of any age, as long as they don't mind two very affectionate children ( not rough).

We just weren't given the option of any one cat- it had to be two in our circumstances.

Anyway it sounds like maybe that is just that rescue centre, and I know I could just pick up a cat on donedeal anytime, but really wanted to give a home to a cat that might need it, so I will check other places.

The cats would be so much happier together, I didnt realise this properly until 2 black kittens came to my house together. The fun they have racing each other up and down the stairs, wrestling on the kitchen floor, grooming each other, sleeping together. Its much easier too as they amuse each other and are not so dependent on you for attention. Even the journey to the vet in the cat box is so much easier with 2 as they comfort each other

Take 2 you wont regret it!

Well I know that sometimes that is the case. But sometimes cats don't get on. I know also that some people have had experiences of cats who get on as kittens but not as grown cats. And also two cats means two sets of vet bills, catteries and other expenses which we hadn't bargained for. We have thought it through for some time and would prefer one.

• Advertisement

Well I know that sometimes that is the case. But sometimes cats don't get on. I know also that some people have had experiences of cats who get on as kittens but not as grown cats.
    Indeed, these are are two as kittens (sisters from the same litter) ...

os7uw7.jpg

30kc0he.jpg

Now, at 12 years old, they can't get within 2 feet of each other without hissing and fighting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

12 years is a long time.

My cats, and I have had a good few over the years have always got on

juneg wrote: »
    12 years is a long time.
    They started not getting on aged 2 or 3, so they've been mortal enemies for quite some time now.I have no idea what triggered it though.
    My cats, and I have had a good few over the years have always got on
    Well, conside yourself lucky then. I'm just pointing out that it's not always the case.

Advertisement