Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking Frustration....

Options
  • 13-03-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

My God banks are the unbelievable,absolutely fuming here at home following a phone call to PTSB..........:mad:
    let me explain my frustration, the day before yesterday a cheque for a mere €46, which we wrote to a local business, was taken from our account, this brought our balance to just below zero, yesterday evening the cheque was returned and a €10 return fee was applied to our account, some HOURS later my weekly pay was lodged into this same account.
    On ringing the PTSB local branch number today I was put through to the dublin main offices, they could not transfer me to my local branch unless I was dealing with someone specifically about an issue?? So i explained my issue to this male on the phone and basically told no money there at the time then back it goes regardless of a few hours later there being enough to cover this cheque...told thats just the way it is (Bruce Hornsby couldn't have been sooo right)
    My issue is this, PTSB have this Back to Basics slogan at the moment, surely that would seem to suggest that they should know their customers at a local level, be available to converse with them and deal with their issues. If they had looked at the state of my account before sending back the payment they would see that at the same time each week i get paid into that account and then the amount would have been covered.
    I'm completely fed up with these banks and the way they just brush off their customers, apply ridiculous charges and basically don't give a rattling F~~K about their banking customers.............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hows is this the banks fault?

Is it not an automated process?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭samsx

beauf wrote: »
    Hows is this the banks fault?

Is it not an automated process?

My point is that if the bank was familiar with my account it would know that funds would be there within a few hours to cover the cheque, the personal touch is what I'm on about, if before returning the cheque/funds the local bank checked my account they would know this.

Is that not what this 'back to basics' crap is all about...the personal relationship between customers and their bank, knowing their customers and their banking habits.

God forbid it would be the banks fault...I'll just shut up so and take the €10 charge, which actually put the account into minus anyway once applied...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

samsx wrote: »
    My point is that if the bank was familiar with my account it would know that funds would be there within a few hours to cover the cheque, the personal touch is what I'm on about, if before returning the cheque/funds the local bank checked my account they would know this.

Is that not what this 'back to basics' crap is all about...the personal relationship between customers and their bank, knowing their customers and their banking habits.

God forbid it would be the banks fault...I'll just shut up so and take the €10 charge, which actually put the account into minus anyway once applied...

You really expect a bank to look at every returned check and then look ahead to see when they get money normally and see if they will pay it or not? The cheque was put through, an automated clearing system sees your account doesn't have the funds available and then returns cheque. The banks would need to put more money into staffing and resources to get someone to go through accounts one by one to make these decisions. This costs more and would ultimately results in more costs to the customer.

I think its a bit of stretch to want a bank to use a person instead of computer for processing cheques.

I would have assumed you'd get an unauthorised overdraft and be charged for that. Then a letter in the post informing you. But perhaps your account isn't set up for that. When you asked the bank what options did they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I think OP you need to take responsibility for managing your own current account by either ensuring that you have sufficient funds in your account or organising an authorised overdraft to cover these eventualities.

This is how the banks make money so if you don't want t pay then it is up to you manage your account properly.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    I think its a bit of stretch to want a bank to use a person instead of computer for processing cheques.

I would have assumed you'd get an unauthorised overdraft and be charged for that. Then a letter in the post informing you. But perhaps your account isn't set up for that. When you asked the bank what options did they give you?

Had an overdraft facility but this got taken away some two years ago when the banks tightened up, since then no flexibility whatsoever.

All these replies just compounds my argument, yes I do expect a bank to look out for me and my financial situation, it's that not what I pay all these charges for?? Ye all seem happy to pay and put up with what the bank puts in place, it's that laissez faire attitude that has us in trouble, typical Irish attitude of "sure that's just the way it is" , never to complain or make an issue over something.

My expectations may be high, but if I pay for banking to a particular bank then that's what I expect in return, a service where the institution looks after my affairs. A knowledge of my account and the transactions conducted, a pattern of habit if you will.

Trish56 wrote: »
    I think OP you need to take responsibility for managing your own current account by either ensuring that you have sufficient funds in your account or organising an authorised overdraft to cover these eventualities.

This is how the banks make money so if you don't want t pay then it is up to you manage your account properly.

That's just it, I wrote the cheque knowing, because of my weekly cheque being lodged, that funds would be there to cover it. I'm only talking about a four hour difference between there being no funds and there being more than sufficient funds.....

I'm not in the habit of writing cheques without there being funds there to meet it, I detest doing that, not my style.

What you are actually asking for is a overdraft facility.

Is there really any more to this than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

My expectations may be high, but if I pay for banking to a particular bank then that's what I expect in return, a service where the institution looks after my affairs. A knowledge of my account and the transactions conducted, a pattern of habit if you will.

Are you paying PTSB for your banking at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Your fully to blame OP. Take responsibility.

Or perhaps you think the bank should forgo automation and handle your account specially over everybody elses ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Some banks have systems that would allow staff to see if items where being returned on certain customers. This allowed branch staff to appeal returned items etc but it was a time consuming task.

You can enquire about private banking, you pay the extra to get the hands on touch.

What your asking for is near impossible to do these days with staff cut backs, automation of services etc that they done to recover from the turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

I think the bank should refund the money as a goodwill gesture or else have a system in place which will automatically cancel out the charge if money is put into the bank within a short period of time. I would actually press it with them (as I did before with Ulster Bank) and that should solve it. Unfortunately nothing gets done for you unless you are forceful with companies as required.

thehouses wrote: »
    I think the bank should refund the money as a goodwill gesture or else have a system in place which will automatically cancel out the charge if money is put into the bank within a short period of time. I would actually press it with them (as I did before with Ulster Bank) and that should solve it. Unfortunately nothing gets done for you unless you are forceful with companies as required.

why should they refund it.

The systems are automated the cheque was presented the money wasnt in the account end of story. PTSB dont charge bank charges yet the OP seems to want silver service.

You cant have your cake and eat it, the issue is the OP's and the OP's alone.

D3PO wrote: »

Or perhaps you think the bank should forgo automation and handle your account specially over everybody elses ...

I think this bank should, of which I'm a customer for 10+ years, concentrate on looking after its customers, full stop.

Your comment of "responsibility" is very ironic given all the banks actions over the last few years, if you wish to be treated by the banks in an irreverent manner then off with you, not I though.

D3PO wrote: »

I think this bank should, of which I'm a customer for 10+ years, concentrate on looking after its customers, full stop.

Your comment of "responsibility" is very ironic given all the banks actions over the last few years, if you wish to be treated by the banks in an irreverent manner then off with you, not I though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Why did they remove your overdraft facility? Have you had issues with your account operation in the past?

Why did they remove your overdraft facility? Have you had issues with your account operation in the past?
    No none, overdraft facility withdrawn for no particular reason, reason given was restructuring of their banking operations. Not the only one who had this facility withdrawn about three to four years ago.

I don't want an overdraft facility, that's not my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

OP, if you kick up enough fuss then you will get your charges refunded with a "Don't let it happen again" kinda remark. You'd not be the 1st person to seek a refund for a 1st time error on your part.

Banks need to survive and automation is the buzz word. People have been warned numerous times of changes to T&C of bank accounts and extra fee's being charged and then get all hot and bother when they get hit with them.

As for responsibility, well they are being responsible..... now...

in what way allowing you go overdrawn when you didnt have the funds to meet a cheque at the time it was presented ......

weather your a customer for 10 days or 10 years is irrelevent. If you dont like it move elsewhere. More fool you if you think any other bank will treat your differently.

you didnt have the funds rightly you have been charged. Next time you will make sure you dont do the same thing no doubt.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your replies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm with AIB & if something is debited from my account & I haven't the funds there yet, it won't bounce anything until the close of business & if I lodge funds in that time the items are paid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

All these replies just compounds my argument, yes I do expect a bank to look out for me and my financial situation, it's that not what I pay all these charges for?? Ye all seem happy to pay and put up with what the bank puts in place, it's that laissez faire attitude that has us in trouble, typical Irish attitude of "sure that's just the way it is" , never to complain or make an issue over something.

Here is the thing, the bank does not offer the service you are looking for!

You are responsible for looking after your financial affairs and it is your responsibility to ensure that your account is in credit when a cheque is presented not the bank. It would appear you need to familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of the bank and related charges. If you don't like their offering then change to an alternative bank.

Here in Switzerland banks apply the same rules, but the fee is €50 and if you do it a couple of times they will close your account and suggest you go else where.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'm with AIB & if something is debited from my account & I haven't the funds there yet, it won't bounce anything until the close of business & if I lodge funds in that time the items are paid.

Unless that is in their T&C, it is just a quirky system and if it ever changes you could get caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Banking in 2014 is supposed to be near completely automated. Eg KBC doesn't have a physical branch for lodging cash into your account. Why should someone have to process ever single transaction? You cant expect a bank to make money if everything is a slow long process

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I think bank customers need to be aware that the EEA-wide SEPA implementation has implications for them.

We now have a situation where banks give next-day value for lodgements, no more semi-manual IPSO imposed 3 to 5 working days for lodgements to clear. If bank customers relied on this in the past, they need to adjust their calculations when issuing cheques.

SEPA for all its BICs and IBANs is a positive move, but account-holders need to be aware of all the implications.

Advertisement