Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand car, bought from a delaer, broke down - cover?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

My mother bought a '09 second hand car a month ago from a dealer. Something broke in the clutch mechanism that will cost 1k+ to repair. The dealer is refusing to do anything for us because "we got such a good deal and did not pay extra for warranty".
    This is the dealership <name removed>

My questions:

- What are our options?
    - Do dealers have to provide 3 months warranty or is it optional?
    - If we could prove that there was an issue with the car at the point of sale then do we have a case against the dealer?

thank you in advance for your support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The clutch in a car can be absolutely fine today but collapse tomorrow. It doesn't mean it was faulty when you bought it.
    Maybe it was a 'good deal'. Can you elaborate a bit more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RuskYYY

emeldc wrote: »
    The clutch in a car can be absolutely fine today but collapse tomorrow. It doesn't mean it was faulty when you bought it.
    Maybe it was a 'good deal'. Can you elaborate a bit more on that.

A mechanic that looked at the clutch for us said that the clutch was "patched up already"... so it may be possible to prove that the car had problems and that the dealer knew about them.

The good deal was buying it for just under 7k while it was advertised for 8k.

Does anyone know direct answers to the above questions?

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hi, Did you buy it from a main Dealer, ie Toyota from a Toyota Garage, etc. Also, what warranty was with the car when it was bought.

Do Dealers provide warranty on a clutch on a second hand car? I know a lot of problems with the clutch can come from "Driver Error" so it can be a tricky one.

Did a mechanic look over the car before you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I still dont think clutch is covered under warranty.

Unless you have an engineers report to say the clutch was already dodgy.

Also, who says that you got such a good deal.......them advertising it for 8k and selling it for 7k is only a good deal if the value of that 09 car is actually 8k, make model, mileage, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Second-hand cars from a dealer don't have to come with a warranty at all but they do have to be fit for sale. However, clutches are consumable items so I wouldn't be confident of getting anything out of it.

Advertisement