Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 13-03-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I've just recently got my provisional bike license. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a bike to buy that would be user friendly and easy to learn on. I am looking for maybe a 250 cc or something like that. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hello and welcome nd001, Thats the standered question for people starting out but not an easy one to answer. When you complete your IBT you will hopefully tried out at least 2 different bikes and this will help you get a feel. Are you looking for a sportsbike or a tourer?

Also Roadskill has made a very good thread on the subject if you havent read it already. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065311

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Hi thanks for the welcome. I would be looking for a sports bike but obviously something that I can get comfortable with quickly to build my confidence. I will definitely look at the thread to see if it helps thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

One of the lads on here, "Cats Pajamas" has a lovely ninja 250 for sale.
    You can do the ibt on a school bike and get the school bike for your test also.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

One of the lads on here, "Cats Pajamas" has a lovely ninja 250 for sale.
    You can do the ibt on a school bike and get the school bike for your test also.

Highly recommend a Ninja 250. Started out on one myself, and can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Very glad I took everyone's advice and didn't start on a bigger bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What about the new lovely KTM dukes they are lovely and around the 300cc mark?

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What about the new lovely KTM dukes they are lovely and around the 300cc mark?

Yeah, they're very nice. Think they're Duke 390s. About the same price as a new Ninja 300 too...

I half know a guy (from 5-a-side) who bought a Ninja 250, new, and traded it in a year later or so for one of those. Only cost him an extra 1000e. Says he prefers it... They sound lovely.

Reckon my next bike will be a KTM. That's years away tho...

Ye I was looking at the ninja alright lovelyllooking bike and not too big either looks manageable. Im 27 with a clean car licence would insurance be massive for me starting out. Sorry to be a pain just in completely new territory here

Insurance will be alright...4-6 hundred I would say, for a noob at your age...

Liberty, in my experience, is the cheapest for people around our age (I was 26 when I started).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Can confirm that the ninja 300 is a great bike for starting out. Found it very easy to get to grips with as a total beginner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Can confirm that the ninja 300 is a great bike for starting out. Found it very easy to get to grips with as a total beginner.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads appreciate the advice the ninja is really appealing to me I'm gonna have a look around next week or so see if I can get something decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Car license will mean absolutely nothing when getting insured on a bike. If it were me I would get a CB400cc or a CB500 or the like...rather then get a lower cc you are old enough to handle the slightly bigger engine and bike.

Advertisement