Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores own brand nappies

Options
  • 13-03-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi there,

We are due our second child in a couple of weeks. I haven't bought nappies in over 2 and 1/2 years, I am out of touch, am I sure a lot have changed since I bought my last pack!

What do you think of stores own brand nappies, ie Boots, Lidl, Aldi, Tesco? Would you recommend any of them? Or should I stay away and stick to Pampers?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

I found ALDI nappies excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

I love the lidl dry lock ones. They are so thin even when full. I got some pampers on offer recently and find them very bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hi...
    Have to agree with MintyDoris re aldi nappies?I've heard they are made by pampers for Aldi and with the quality I wouldn't be surprised.They are far far cheaper than other brands like Pampers and Huggies.My wee fella is just 7 weeks old and the nappies are the runniest things ever and if Aldi nappies can handle this I'm sure they'll be great moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I don't think there is anything wrong with the onw brand ones, it just depends on what best suits your baby.
    I tried non-branded ones but none of them sat right on my daughter, so I personally found Papers baby dry (Dodot over here) the best for her. A friend of mine found pampers leaked on her baby, but swears by the Aldi ones. I think it's a case of trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 aldi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't like Aldi, find they leak a lot on my 2 year old... Tesco are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Tried the Lidl ones the other week and didn't like them at all. They leaked overnight when we've never had that problem with Pampers. Must try the Aldi ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We use cloth mostly but Aldi ones were great when we used them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Boots are the only ones that we have been happy with on all 3.
    #2 had a serious reaction to the Lidl ones but I have used both aldi and Lidl on #3 but keep going back to Boots.
    I was put off pampers early on because they kept leaking

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Swine Flu

I have used pampers, boots and aldi ones and i find the aldi ones the best, my 5month old is still in the newborn ones though so dont know if they differ as the size goes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have only tried size 1 and 2 so far. Aldi are my favourite they are the only nappies I put on him at nighttime as I know they won't leak (as sometimes he sleeps for 8hours!). Boots and pampers are very similar they are my second favs, I found tesco had a funny smell off them and they leaked (only tried size 1) and magics (super value) are grand for pee during the day but not poo will leak. Lidl now start at size 2 but haven't tried them. I have a nappy mountain in my house! I have loads of pampers baby dry size 3 and 3+ which are the cheapest nappies if you get them childrens allowance week (half price or buy one get one free).

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

There are so many varied opinions on this topic so there must be some truth in the notion that the fit depends on the shape of your baby.

We have tried most of the own brand nappies and I swore that I was sticking with the cheaper models as I really didnt believe Pampers could be worth the extra cash...sadly I have come around and now Im really only interested in buying Pampers baby dry but only do so when they are on offer - usually this happens on childrens allowance week! I stocked up last week on various sizes as the large packs were buy 1 get one free in Tesco so I got 140 of the baby dry size 3's for 14.99 which is pretty good.

I personally didnt have any success with the Boots nappies. They have leaked for me. The Tesco ones were okay and I didnt like the Pampers simply dry as they leaked also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I really think it depends on the size and shape of the baby.
    With my daughter (now 23 months) i used any brand when she was in size 1 or 2 . Tesco and aldi mainly. Pampers when they were on offer. When size 3 i found boots leaked so didnt buy them again but tesco aldi and lidl were fine. Then size 4 tesco leaked . Aldi leaked poo lidl mostly ok and pampers fine. I only buy pampers when on offer and i stock up.
    Now in size 4+ pampers during the day and size 5 at night. If i run out before next offer i get lidl dry lock.
    Im due no 2 this month and only bought 2 packs of aldi size 1 and 1 pack of aldi size 2. Im not stocking because i want to see what works for him.
    So many people swear by some brands while others thought they were terrible so i really think its down the the childs shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I am using lidl dry lock and find them to be fantastic! !! So thin and asorb a ton. A little more expensive than aldi which is my second best. I find no difference in the absorption and amount of leaks I get in aldi versus pampers. The biggest difference there is the price. I've had way less leaks in the lidl dry lock than aldi though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Think it depends on the baby shape! We found pampers better when she was small and aldi better she was bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I was a muppet and bought pampers on the first guy. Tried huggies the odd time but didn't suit.

This time we've been aldi all the way. Nothing lasts like them. Wr used dunnes own brand for a bit but they're not strong enough now.

I think it'll be trial and error when your baby gets here. But im sure you'll find an own brand that suits rather than forking out for pampers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I miss the brown/beige packets of huggies,they were awesome and cheap:) I found size 3 nappies were the ones we seemed to use forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I've used Tesco nappies for my son since day 1 find them excellent. Was given a pack of pampers and they leaked.

Due number 2 soon and Tesco's brand bought again

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

On my first I used pampers as I didn't like lidl or tesco ones when I tried them. This time around I'm using aldi and find them great, I won't be wasting money on pampers again! A friend gave me a lidl nappy the other day when I was stuck and I noticed they're a lot less bulky than they used to be.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I can't comment on the newborn sizes but from about size 3 up the tesco nappies were brilliant. We used the super fit, a purple pack, but then as money got tight we switched to the ultra-dry which were a bit cheaper. I tried the Lidl nappies when he was a few months old, but found them only OK. They'd do in a pinch but didn't seem to really work for us. That being said I know loads of people who absolutely rave about them, including our PHN so they'd be worth a try.

The only reason we've switched back to pampers now is because the tesco ones seem to stop at a size 5+ (at least any tescos near us doesn't seem to stock bigger) and my son is now in a size 6 - potty trained but still needs a nappy for overnight. I found that although the fit of the 5+ was fine, they didn't quite hold the same erm, volume of pee for an overnight without leaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Thanks a lot everyone! Yes, I am sure it's a matter of trial and error and find what suits us best! Cheers again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We use lidl and aldi. I don't notice a difference with either although I don't like the new slim lidl nappies. I bought then for a while and then went back to the original ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

When I was in Ireland last week, we bought ''magics'' nappies in Supervalu and we were impressed. Theyre really light and they have dry lock.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Huggies were the best for us norn wise, Aldi and Lidl from then on, Pampers were the only ones that didn't fit right and leaked a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Judging from the wide array of answers, you'll prob have to get samples of each brand from friends, or just buy small pack and try them out!

I swapped between pampers, aldi & lidls because as my son changed shape here and there (put on a bit of weight or stretched out), different nappies in the same size fit better than others. This was despite both my sisters telling me that all non-pampers nappies were the devil.

FWIW I found that Aldi nappies have a strong chemical smell off them, I didn't find this with Lidls ones and they seemed to be as durable and soft as pampers. I do weekly shop at Aldi but go out of my way to get nappies in Lidl.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I found Aldi nappies great!! Never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Another fan of aldi nappies! Found them better than the pampers and huggies we tried in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lidl nappies are great. Half the price of pampers and they work fine. All brands of nappies leak sometimes, usually, this is because they weren't put on properly or the poo was ejected at an especially high pressure

(btw, there's no shame in an ill installed nappy every now and then. Our kids didn't exactly stay still when they were being changed, trying to put a nappy on a toddler while she's in mid summersault and you're in a rush to get out the door for work, the objective is sometimes to just get it on and hope it lasts until the next inspection)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

Mink wrote: »
    Judging from the wide array of answers, you'll prob have to get samples of each brand from friends, or just buy small pack and try them out!

I swapped between pampers, aldi & lidls because as my son changed shape here and there (put on a bit of weight or stretched out), different nappies in the same size fit better than others. This was despite both my sisters telling me that all non-pampers nappies were the devil.

FWIW I found that Aldi nappies have a strong chemical smell off them, I didn't find this with Lidls ones and they seemed to be as durable and soft as pampers. I do weekly shop at Aldi but go out of my way to get nappies in Lidl.

I found that with the aldi ones too!! Gonna try lidl ones next. We buy pampers all the time buy they are so expensive when not on offer. Found Huggies bad and tesco little bots ( or something like that name) leaked all the time. Used three and put the rest in bin.

It's trial and error to see what suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I found that with the aldi ones too!! Gonna try lidl ones next. We buy pampers all the time buy they are so expensive when not on offer. Found Huggies bad and tesco little bots ( or something like that name) leaked all the time. Used three and put the rest in bin.

It's trial and error to see what suits.

Did you ever try boots own brand? I used size 2 and gound them very similar to pampers new baby

Advertisement