Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

County Down Spring and Summer Challenges

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

That price is a steal. I played that tournament as the Heart of Down competition which also had The Spa golf club included over the 4 days. You had three great courses then played RCD on the final day. Superb golf course and certainly the hardest one I have ever played. You need the weather though. When you analyse it I think the green fee for Royal County Down is generally £125 so to get 2 other days for the same price represents good value. Ardglass is one of Ireland's hidden gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Brilliant Value alright, Pity it wasnt on a weekend as I definitely would have played!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I'm off for a week on those dates for the Spring one but am heading down to play Dooks and Waterville. I wouldn't mind going up for the summer challenge.

Anyone thinking of this? Seriously thinking of asking for the time off in work. 130 for them 3 courses is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

dar_cool wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of this? Seriously thinking of asking for the time off in work. 130 for them 3 courses is unreal

Myself and a pal are heading up for this, booking it this week.

Ardglass is a real hidden gem and a few years back they put in some new holes and its a proper test and a true links course with the ocean playing a big part in the character of the course.

Downpatrick was my home course as im from there originally and played it a couple of months back and was chatting to the lads in the green-keepers hut and they had the place in super condition with more work to come for the summer.

Add in RCD all for £130 is fantastic value IMO plus ive the pass for the week from her indoors and plan having a week of golf/beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Just a heads up for anybody interested in this tournament the spaces are starting to fill up fast and most of the afternoon slots are gone.

Interestingly the teetimes on the third day at RCD will be done according to your points total for the two previous days and the leaders are out last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭paulos53

Just got an email from Just Treats with a discounted offer of €139 for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

paulos53 wrote: »
    Just got an email from Just Treats with a discounted offer of €139 for this.

Got this aswell and am seriously tempted, only thing is I would be travelling on my own and is a long way to travel.

For those who have played before, what are the accommodation options and is there a bit of travel between courses?

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Got this aswell and am seriously tempted, only thing is I would be travelling on my own and is a long way to travel.

For those who have played before, what are the accommodation options and is there a bit of travel between courses?

I was thinking of doing the same,I'll be on my own, thinking I might camp in downpatrick.
    Not sure what to do.

There all within easy reach of each other. Very close together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

KingdomYid wrote: »

You could stay in downpatrick as it's right in the middle and ardglass is 20 minutes away and newcastle would be 30 minutes. Newcastle is more touristy and there are is the slieve donard hotel or loads of b and b's so probably more options for accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

dar_cool wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing the same,I'll be on my own, thinking I might camp in downpatrick.
    Not sure what to do.

Downpatricks your best bet alright, I would book into Denver's hotel it's basic enough but the bar and food are decent but it's in the middle of the town and within throwing distance of a couple of decent bars like Turleys or Kelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Denvirs only has six rooms so you will do well to get in if demand is high. Newcastle has more going for it both accommodation and entertainment wise.

Anyone else playing in this, this year?
    Myself and Rollotomassi are going up. Looking forward to it!!
    Hopefully the weather is kind to us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

Well the weather certainly was kind to us, sunshine every day which made a big difference and little or no wind except for a little in Royal County Down. All in all I enjoyed the three days but there were a lot of unhappy campers. I was out early the first 2 days, on the way in on the 18th at Ardglasss I seen 12 people waiting to tee off on the 2nd or 3rd,. such was the congestion. I heard the next day that several groups were called in because they couldn't finish due to darkness. They were given a choice of playing on the main course on RCD (no matter how badly they were going, top 150 was only supposed to)or come back the next day and finish the round. Round 3 tee times weren't emailed until after midnight on thursday and even then umpteen people were moved around time wise at the last minute(myself been one) Strokesavers was supposed to be given out each day, not ONE was provided, you bought your own. Over 20 people didn't even bother playing RCD on the last day presumably due to frustration with the whole organisational disaster. Nearly everyone I spoke to said they wouldn't go back and play in that event again. Clearly Golf Digest have the just one agenda in mind and that is to rake in as money as they can and cut costs where possible. Strokesavers alone would have saved them 3k, didn't see a photographer all week(not that I gave a Phuck anyway) but probably another cost saving measure. Golf digest =Money making scheme. BTW Ardglass is a fantastic course.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Well the weather certainly was kind to us, sunshine every day which made a big difference and little or no wind except for a little in Royal County Down. All in all I enjoyed the three days but there were a lot of unhappy campers. I was out early the first 2 days, on the way in on the 18th at Ardglasss I seen 12 people waiting to tee off on the 2nd or 3rd,. such was the congestion. I heard the next day that several groups were called in because they couldn't finish due to darkness. They were given a choice of playing on the main course on RCD (no matter how badly they were going, top 150 was only supposed to)or come back the next day and finish the round. Round 3 tee times weren't emailed until after midnight on thursday and even then umpteen people were moved around time wise at the last minute(myself been one) Strokesavers was supposed to be given out each day, not ONE was provided, you bought your own. Over 20 people didn't even bother playing RCD on the last day presumably due to frustration with the whole organisational disaster. Nearly everyone I spoke to said they wouldn't go back and play in that event again. Clearly Golf Digest have the just one agenda in mind and that is to rake in as money as they can and cut costs where possible. Strokesavers alone would have saved them 3k, didn't see a photographer all week(not that I gave a Phuck anyway) but probably another cost saving measure. Golf digest =Money making scheme. BTW Ardglass is a fantastic course.

Couldn't agree with you more, blessed with the weather, organisation was shocking. We were out early both days and it was grand but seen 2 groups on every tee in ardglass when we were finishing. Ardglass is stunning. Some of the best holes I've ever played.I seen photographer a few times and he took a shot of us before we teed off in RCD. I wouldn't play in it again to be honest. Downpatrick was a very average course. Ardglass and RCD were superb. We played annesly in the afternoon and it was very average, I'd have Corballis above it. We played Kilkeel after ardglass and it was a super track. I'd rate it very highly

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lmhall

Does anyone know how the Down Spring Challenge 2016 went this April? How was the organization of the event versus previous years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

lmhall wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the Down Spring Challenge 2016 went this April? How was the organization of the event versus previous years?

4 of us went up. Serious value, I think we payed €140 euros each. Spa a decent parkland, Ardglass stunning in places and then RCD to top it all off.

Couldn't believe the turnout, only about 60 players in total. It was well organised in terms of starters and goody bags etc but some serious issues with rules. Two guys (father and son) left their playing partner behind in Ardglass, they walked in after 9. They decided to pop out a few hours later to finish their round. By the end of the day one of them lay in 2nd place in the overall.

But I've long since given up on expecting anything but a few nice rounds and a bit of a knees up at these things. It's great value and well worth it. We stayed in Ardglass, found a great place on Air BnB and a nice watering hole.

Advertisement