Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best type of rucksack

Options
  • 13-03-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

just wondering what would ye recomend is the best type and size of rucksack to bring to OZ. I found one at home thats like 75lt but it just has one big main pocket, would i be better off getting one with different sections or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I went for a north face 90ltr duffel bag, one big pocket so easy for packing and can go on your back if you want, fairly tough bag so should last a lifetime I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

just looked at them there, i thought it was a tent for a second, the shape looks like a sleeping bag, but looks like a good quality bag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

just wondering what would ye recomend is the best type and size of rucksack to bring to OZ. I found one at home thats like 75lt but it just has one big main pocket, would i be better off getting one with different sections or what?

Try to get one that opens at the bottom as well. Its gets really annoying after a while taking everything out to try to find something thats at the bottom of the rucksack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Best quality rucksacks are made by eberlesrock. I will never buy another brand so long as i live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Do you need a rucksack? If you will have the bag on your back, trekking for multiple hours, everyday, then probably yes. if you are going to bus/train/plane it and stay in places for a few days or more then no, standard bag/case will be cheaper(most likely) and do a better job....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I have a Berghaus 60+10 backpack, its pretty big when it's full so I wouldn't go bigger, it only weighs 12kgs when it's full aswell so you run out of room before you go overweight as long as you don't fill it with bricks!
    The best thing is the zip runs down each side so you can access the whole bag, it was €150 so it's pretty expensive but I read too many stories of cheap backpacks tearing after a few months,

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

bladebrew wrote: »
    ... I read too many stories of cheap backpacks tearing after a few months,

This. Get a decent brand and it will last for years and many journeys. You can usually find last seasons design on sale, it's a bit like buying trainers. But if you get a cheap no-name brand, the stitching and/or the zips will go when you least need it. Also, beware of counterfeit brand copies from markets and online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Have a berghaus 65+10 for years now, love it. Use it for hiking, travelling. Great weight distribution, tough too.

Having said that I took a Vango wheely case with fold away back straps through SE asia for six months and it was the biz. Really handy to wheel around and yet be able to throw on back for short spurts when needed; wouldn't recommend as fulltime rucksack though.

How you pack is really important too. I use vacuum seal bags for clothes and that really helps free up space. The toughest decision I always have is footwear, I really didn't need my hiking boots in SE asia!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

bidiots wrote: »
    Do you need a rucksack? If you will have the bag on your back, trekking for multiple hours, everyday, then probably yes. if you are going to bus/train/plane it and stay in places for a few days or more then no, standard bag/case will be cheaper(most likely) and do a better job....

If you can't carry everything you need and want on your back, then you are carrying too much stuff. How many people do you see struggling with bags, cases, wheely cases? Too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Just ****ing calm down. Go to Australia and enjoy it. Don't overthink it. You are stressing too much about the small things......

• Advertisement

s.c wrote: »
    Just ****ing calm down. Go to Australia and enjoy it. Don't overthink it. You are stressing too much about the small things......

If the priority is to get wasted then all that's needed is a change of underwear. A plastic bag would suffice and it could double as a sick bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I honestly came to Australia with a 2nd hand, 15 year old 50L Low Alpine backpack, a Lowpro camera backpack, 5 cameras, 3 pairs of underpants, a duffle bag with my BMX disassembled and about 5 pairs of socks and 3 t-shirts.

The rule is….1 to wear, 1 to wash and 1 to dry. Stick by that and you'll go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

s.c wrote: »

+1
    I spent over year saving and planning, I'm here just over 2 months and I'm heading home in about a week!
    I have some work at home then I'm going interailing in the summer!
    Things change so don't plan the **** out of things like I did! My brother moved over with $2000 got a job he loves in a nice bar in 2 weeks and his GF is getting sponsored!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

pete4130 wrote: »
    If you can't carry everything you need and want on your back, then you are carrying too much stuff. How many people do you see struggling with bags, cases, wheely cases? Too many.

You are making my point for me;)
    I set off on a World trip with a 'school bag', was big enough for all I needed. Could jump on a plane anywhere, anytime without worry of checking bags in etc....
    I had previous experience with rucksack's and the like and do not understand how people think they need them....

bidiots wrote: »
    I had previous experience with rucksack's and the like and do not understand how people think they need them....
    Some people do tramping and having the right rucksack is vital if you're doing a 10 day walk etc....
    For everything else a Dunnes stones plastic bag will do. Actually on my last trip back to the auld sod my bag was smaller that that!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

well im going to australia for a year so id prob be bringing a good bit of clothes with me, so i persume id need something over 25 litres cause thatd be too small, 60 litres seems right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Ignore all those 65l top/bottom openers (alright for week up the mountain...), and get a good main opener with wheels.
    - Eagle Creek 50+15l springs to mind. Can be used as either wheeled or slung on back, the 15l is detachable.

Also get x10 different coloured/sized compression bags, so you'll know where everything is and access it quickly.

Never(ever) as someone suggested have a bag for wet clothes, this will cause mould, always dry 1st (it's hot there).

Can also get full rain covers and full security wire mesh if fancy splasing out the $...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Ignore all those 65l top/bottom openers (alright for week up the mountain...), and get a good main opener with wheels.
    - Eagle Creek 50+15l springs to mind. Can be used as either wheeled or slung on back, the 15l is detachable.

Also get x10 different coloured/sized compression bags, so you'll know where everything is and access it quickly.

Never(ever) as someone suggested have a bag for wet clothes, this will cause mould, always dry 1st (it's hot there).

Can also get full rain covers and full security wire mesh if fancy splasing out the $...

I'd have to agree with this. Unless you are going to be moving around a lot then a suitcase beats a rucksack hands down. The days of Irish people coming over here as backpackers and actually coming over to see Australia are gone. It now seems to be just a place to escape from the doom and gloom in Ireland and get a job so most people are better off just getting a suitcase on wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

well im going to australia for a year so id prob be bringing a good bit of clothes with me, so i persume id need something over 25 litres cause thatd be too small, 60 litres seems right??

I'm here 2 years now and still don't wear half the clothes that I brought over with me. Definitely no need to bring a heap of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I came across these two
    http://store.berghaus.com/p/equipment/womens-verden-45--8-rucksack/434516

http://store.berghaus.com/p/equipment/mens-verden-45-plus-8-rucksack/434515#reviews
    Both exactly the same, except the woman's one is £30 more expensive. Should the men's one be okay for me? I'm small and not v strong! What are the waist straps like for larger ladies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement