Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT / IIT to become universities will it effect points?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Will points be driven up with the proposal for technology if these colleges gain university status?

If you have any information regarding the transformation or prediction of increase in points please comment.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Points increase if more people want to do a particular course.

Places like say, Letterkenny IT (absolutely no disrespect to LYIT and only using it as an example) will attract less people simply because of their location, so they will, in general, have lower points for courses that are on a par with ones done elsewhere.

Dublin institutions, IT or university will have higher demand as along with the Dublin school leavers, there are lots of non-Dublin people who want to go to do those courses in those colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Surely even more people would want to go their if they have a university status too, which would increase points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Surely even more people would want to go their if they have a university status too, which would increase points.
    I'd say it's a shame if people based their course decision on the name of an institution and not the merits of said institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'd say it's a shame if people based their course decision on the name of an institution and not the merits of said institute.

shame yes, reality yes

unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Cydoniac wrote: »

In this instance, the name change is recognition of its merits.

I suspect that the new campus will have a greater effect on demand for places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Dylan2122

In this instance, the name change is recognition of its merits.

I suspect that the new campus will have a greater effect on demand for places.

Well sirprisingly very few students are aware of the change which may work in my favour, although next year i suspect a spike in points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Dylan2122 wrote: »
    Well sirprisingly very few students are aware of the change which may work in my favour, although next year i suspect a spike in points

I had assumed that the change wouldn't be happening for a while. Do you know if the name is going to be changed - perhaps to Dublin Technological University (DTU)?

Also, only a few faculties have moved out to Grangegorman, AFAIK. It will probably be a while before a prospectus filled with attractive campus-shots can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ion564

I think that the points will not be affected at the start but gradually it will go up

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dylan2122

ion564 wrote: »
    I think that the points will not be affected at the start but gradually it will go up

Ive been in contact with ITT and they expect to merge with IT Blanch and DIT in 2016 but there may be delays.

Advertisement