Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First triathlon - need to buy some clothes

Options
  • 13-03-2014 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

Doing my first tri this year :)

looking at buying a trisuit.

first event is a pool event, so not sure whether to buy a tri suit or shorts and top separate! any suggestions?

was looking at the zone 3 suit
    good review of all the best here

http://www.triradar.com/gear/best-tri-suits-review-2/1/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

This is the one thats always hard to call since Tri Ireland started enforcing the bare torso rule - normally I would have said no need for anything more than a pair of long shorts and a t-shirt for your first tri but thats forcing guys to use a towel perhaps to conceal some bare flesh when changing

It really is the most ridiculous rule to enforce - easier and less expensive than enforcing drafting I suppose

Unless you are in very good shape oir planning on going long distance- don't get a two piece, it will expose every bit of flabby flesh mercilessly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Drafting has not happened in an Irish race since 1872

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

johnmck wrote: »
    Doing my first tri this year :)

looking at buying a trisuit.

first event is a pool event, so not sure whether to buy a tri suit or shorts and top separate! any suggestions?

Unless you are completely disproportionate in stature a trisuit is all you need. If you were very big top or bottom them you could cross match separates but for the vast majority of people 1 piece, especially for sprint and olympic racing.

2 piece for middle & long (access for toilet).

Zone3 are good suits, plenty of choice out there, try them on, get advice. Plenty of tri stores around the country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Hi guys. Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I plan on doing my first triathlon in portlaoise on the 5th April. As you are all probably aware it's pool based and my question relates to what to wear. I have a pair of tri shorts which I had planned on wearing in the pool and for the event. am I obliged to wear a tri top for the swim given the bare chest rules or do lads leave a top nearby to put on after exiting the water but before exiting the pool complex into t1. Probably a stupid question but rather know now than on the morning of the 5th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Thanks, I'm pretty fit, no jiggly bits :) but I'll go with a suit just in case

Not buying from a shop again , paid €50 extra in amphibian king for a zone 3 wetsuit last year. I just think that's too much even if u can try it on. I wouldn't mind paying €25 or €30 extra but €50 extra is too much
    AKW wrote: »
    Unless you are completely disproportionate in stature a trisuit is all you need. If you were very big top or bottom them you could cross match separates but for the vast majority of people 1 piece, especially for sprint and olympic racing.

2 piece for middle & long (access for toilet).

Zone3 are good suits, plenty of choice out there, try them on, get advice. Plenty of tri stores around the country now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

086Jazzy wrote: »
    Hi guys. Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I plan on doing my first triathlon in portlaoise on the 5th April. As you are all probably aware it's pool based and my question relates to what to wear. I have a pair of tri shirts which I had planned on wearing in the pool and for the event. am I obliged to wear a tri top for the swim given the bare chest rules or do lads leave a top nearby to put on after exiting the water but before exiting the pool complex into t1. Probably a stupid question but rather know now than on the morning of the 5th.

Presuming shirts should be shorts, i'm sure for the swim you would be fine without a top, but I'm not sure at which point the bare torso becomes illegal. One of the experts will enlighten us!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Thanks Podge83. I've amended the spelling mistake in my post. I'll await an expert opinion so.

paid €50 extra in amphibian king for a zone 3 wetsuit last year.

If you don't mind me asking, relative to where was the suit €50 extra? Speaking for myself we'd (Galway) the lowest prices in Ireland and offered full TI members a discount too.

Going with Zone3 again as the quality has been great so doing same again on price checks.

Podge83 wrote: »
    Presuming shirts should be shorts, i'm sure for the swim you would be fine without a top, but I'm not sure at which point the bare torso becomes illegal. One of the experts will enlighten us!!.

Trisuit, unless you are planning on getting dressed under water :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Bare torso in transition or on the bike or run= nudity according to TI last year. This was a fudge, as any male swimming a pool Tri can wear swim shorts with a bare torso. The rule needs to be explicitly clarified (at the AGM?) before the 2014 season starts.

• Advertisement

2014, nudity, how we humans have evolved = NOT!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Bare torso in transition or on the bike or run= nudity according to TI last year. This was a fudge, as any male swimming a pool Tri can wear swim shorts with a bare torso. The rule needs to be explicitly clarified (at the AGM?) before the 2014 season starts.

I suppose we are having a light-hearted look at it here but clarity is needed.

As Transition is a changing zone, a few flashes are going to happen, particularly among new people (who may be changing from one outfit to another) who should be encouraged, not vice versa.

Quick question - Is this (the nudity rule) a TI or ITU directive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I suppose we are having a light-hearted look at it here but clarity is needed.

As Transition is a changing zone, a few flashes are going to happen, particularly among new people (who may be changing from one outfit to another) who should be encouraged, not vice versa.

Quick question - Is this (the nudity rule) a TI or ITU directive?

See this thread for discussion and links to the ITU rules.

I've written to TI asking for clarity, not going to enter 3DTri pool sprint until they give an answer. Should pool training be done in the trisuit beforehand? All this nonsense just because of some moany auld bint whining about "equality".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you should say a pen pusher should enlighten you ;-0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

So if you wear a trisuit for the pool leg what happens when you arrive at the bike in T1 and you have to sit aboard for 20 or 40K in a wet pad? Can't be comfy surely.

Last year saw several people head onto the bike wearing their swim jammers, seemed to work out ok and sets you up nicely for the run - might be an option johnmck?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    So if you wear a trisuit for the pool leg what happens when you arrive at the bike in T1 and you have to sit aboard for 20 or 40K in a wet pad? Can't be comfy surely.

Last year saw several people head onto the bike wearing their swim jammers, seemed to work out ok and sets you up nicely for the run - might be an option johnmck?

You aren't swimming with a load of Always Ultra Nighttime stuck down the back of your trisuit. By 5km you should be dry if the weather isn't sh1t and the suit isn't cr@p

MojoMaker wrote: »

This is standard for most triathletes, be it pool, sea, river or lake??!!?? (Can be comfy ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

tis grand, you wouldnt notice it really, and if its lashing rain sure your gonna get soaked anyway id prefer to swim with the tri suit on and get straight out on the bikethan try to get a dry jersey onto wet torso in transition

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    All this nonsense just because of some moany auld bint whining about "equality".

KG I know you're being lighthearted about it but I believe* it is something to do with racing in a Muslim country. Rules began being enforced across the board once ITU got into Abu Dahbi. I'm no expert on the Koran, but Muslim men are not allowed expose their chests in public.

*could be a complete crock of crVp & researching the history of the rule at the moment.

KG I know you're being lighthearted about it but I believe* it is something to do with racing in a Muslim country. Rules began being enforced across the board once ITU got into Abu Dahbi. I'm no expert on the Koran, but Muslim men are not allowed expose their chests in public.

*could be a complete crock of crVp & researching the history of the rule at the moment.

I think you are wrong, back in 2010 there were a good few races in Spain and France that to demonstrate the lack of equality in modern society a number of women cycled and run topless. There were signs of it spreading into the UK so the ITU slapped that rule in there. Some of the birds were rather hot and there are some epic photos on the interweb (and one video of a race in Nice)

• Advertisement

Pics or it didn't happen

Pics or it didn't happen

Yes I am googling "topless ladies riding in nice"

Google doesn't enforce ordering of words and strips out common wons

"nice ladies riding"

Whats that going to get me????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

tunney wrote: »
    Yes I am googling "topless ladies riding in nice"

Google doesn't enforce ordering of words and strips out common wons

"nice ladies riding"

Whats that going to get me????

A four day weekend!

My post has been hijacked by a discussion about stupid archaec rules. TI and the rest of Ireland need to grow up. We all have bodies and if u haven't seen a naked body before then there is something wrong with you.

WHAT trisuit should I buy? Thank you
    EC1000 wrote: »
    A four day weekend!

My post has been hijacked by a discussion about stupid archaec rules. TI and the rest of Ireland need to grow up. We all have bodies and if u haven't seen a naked body before then there is something wrong with you.

WHAT trisuit should I buy? Thank you

Given all thats become apparent on the thread I'd recommend one of bth_3106.jpg

tunney wrote: »
    Given all thats become apparent on the thread I'd recommend one of bth_3106.jpg

Has sleeves so that's not going to be allowed in a non-wetsuit event. Would have thought you'd know the rules!!

Section 4.6.(b) i
    Athletes must not use:
    • Artificial propulsion devices;
    • Flotation devices;
    • Gloves or socks (including but not limited to compression socks);
    • Wetsuits with thickness exceeding 5mm;
    • Wetsuit bottoms only;
    • Wetsuits when they are forbidden because of the water temperature;
    • Non certified swimsuits: Wetsuits and swimsuits that do not comply with
    • the ITU Uniform Rules;
    • Clothing covering arms from shoulders to hands and clothing covering legs
    • from knees to toes in a non-wetsuit swim.

Has sleeves so that's not going to be allowed in a non-wetsuit event. Would have thought you'd know the rules!!

Section 4.6.(b) i

[/LIST]

(a) I now have a very interesting internet history to explain at home
    (b) I cannot unsee the results of searching for "gimp suit no arms"

Gone from topless ladies to gimp suits, don't want to know what you were thinking to make that leap.

Oh if only I had the credentials for the AKW web shop I could put up a new entry for gimp suits...........

If I was to hear you gave a garmin 620xt to a certain ginger I might just be pushed over the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I haven't read the thread cos I presume its weird. If youre tubby buy a one piece suit or you'll get a very unattractive roll of fat at your waist between a two piece. Get one with pockets. Otherwise just buy what you like the look of, make sure it fits and doesn't gape at the shoulders when aero.

Advertisement