Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad and leaving debt

Options
  • 13-03-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I'm. Moving abroad but didn't know when I signed up to Vodafone 2 year contract they said I owe 440€ Bill and to terminate 890€ ! This is a lot to pay and I don't have it upfront, would the debt follow me or is there anything they can do if I'm not in the country anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

When is your contract up? You must have had some idea your bill was so high, have you had other similarly high Vodafone bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I got out of a phone contract early by saying I moved house to such and such an address and suddenly I havn't got any coverage anymore. (I went onto their website and used the coverage checker to find an address in an absolute dead zone). I asked them what they can do about it as they are contracted to provide me with a service for another 2 years. They appologised and said there was nothing they could do to provide me with coverage and asked if i'd like to end the contract with them early.

DONE!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Very little mobile phone coverage in the middle of the mojave desert. Probably.

Seriously though, contact them, see about a payment plan. Can you hand back the phone to offset what you owe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@sebastianlieken please do not advocate untruthful behaviour.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

dudara wrote: »
    @sebastianlieken please do not advocate untruthful behaviour.

dudara

To be more specific, I exited a mobile broadband deal to which I was contracted using this approach. The mobile phone company advertised "upto 21 Mbps", obviously this is a theoretical speed but I was in a full coverage area in the city and my estimate was to be 1-4 Mbps. My real speed in the first month was in line with this advertised figure, after that period it droped to a consistant < 100 Kbps (with full coverage) and after numerous phone calls they said their network was at full capacity but I could not exit the contract.

They were untruthful in their advertisment of a product for which I was paying them, so I was untruthful in leaving the contract.

My conscience is pretty clean in that regard. I was just telling my story in my previous post... I certainly wouldn't advocate fraudulent behaviour though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

To be more specific, I exited a mobile broadband deal to which I was contracted using this approach. The mobile phone company advertised "upto 21 Mbps", obviously this is a theoretical speed but I was in a full coverage area in the city and my estimate was to be 1-4 Mbps. My real speed in the first month was in line with this advertised figure, after that period it droped to a consistant < 100 Kbps (with full coverage) and after numerous phone calls they said their network was at full capacity but I could not exit the contract.

They were untruthful in their advertisment of a product for which I was paying them, so I was untruthful in leaving the contract.

My conscience is pretty clean in that regard. I was just telling my story in my previous post... I certainly wouldn't advocate fraudulent behaviour though! :)

I had this out with vodafone previously over something similar, IIRC legally they can provide as low as 750kbps (their words) and still be under the terms of their contract of up to <whatever speed it says in the contract> obviously doesnt do them any good people getting speeds that low, and in their own interest to keep the infrastructre providing as close to what their advertising but the all magical "up to" in the advertisement covers them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

noel.t wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm. Moving abroad but didn't know when I signed up to Vodafone 2 year contract they said I owe 440€ Bill and to terminate 890€ ! This is a lot to pay and I don't have it upfront, would the debt follow me or is there anything they can do if I'm not in the country anymore?

Can you not continue to pay it off month by month until the contract is over? I don't know about the debt following you per se but it will just ruin your credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

syklops wrote: »
    Can you not continue to pay it off month by month until the contract is over? I don't know about the debt following you per se but it will just ruin your credit rating.
    How?
    Credit ratings are unlikely to be affected unless you owe money to a very select list of institutions, members of which telco's are not.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/irish_credit_bureau.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

slimjimmc wrote: »
    How?
    Credit ratings are unlikely to be affected unless you owe money to a very select list of institutions, members of which telco's are not.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/irish_credit_bureau.html

If they get a judgement against you then this will impact your credit rating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

slimjimmc wrote: »
    How?

Presumably the OP pays his bill every month via direct debit. Failed direct debits do affect your credit rating.

By the way, the link you provided doesn't mention telcos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement