Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5/3/1 BBB on a cut

• 13-03-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

So lately my gym sessions have been very sporadic and all over the place due to crazy long hours in work. I get there about twice a week at best. So I plan on going in the morning as this can get me some consistency. However this only provides a maximum of 45 minutes of a workout including warm up.

I was considering doing 5/3/1 BBB as I know this is a quick enough workout. I'm currently on a cut and probably will be for a few months as I try get myself to 10% bf as a change of pace. I'm just interested in maintaining muscle mass as best as I can. Will 5/3/1 be a good program for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Can't vouch for it from personal experience but if you have decent strength already, a Martin Berkhan reverse pyramid training set up sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly. Low volume/high intensity/3 times a week, in and out in 45 minutes. Can't vouch for it either but it gets serious reviews. Boring but big seems like it could be a bit much volume if you're on a long cut, I think intensity trumps volume during a sustained cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I did it for a couple of years and I dont think I ever got a session done in 45 mins. Generally 70 mins give or take 10 mins was enough to cover all of the bases and after the top set of squats or deads you will be in bits for 5-10 mins anyway.
    That said, when cutting on the programme I did less and less fluffy stuff and kept it even more basic so 5 sets of 10 became 2 or 3 sets and less reps after reading advice from a natty bodybuilder that said never sacrifice the amount of weight you lift for more reps when on a cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Can't vouch for it from personal experience but if you have decent strength already, a Martin Berkhan reverse pyramid training set up sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly. Low volume/high intensity/3 times a week, in and out in 45 minutes. Can't vouch for it either but it gets serious reviews. Boring but big seems like it could be a bit much volume if you're on a long cut, I think intensity trumps volume during a sustained cut.

I must check that out. I've only heard of RPT and know the general principles behind it but never looked into the actual program. I'll give it a look.
    That said, when cutting on the programme I did less and less fluffy stuff and kept it even more basic so 5 sets of 10 became 2 or 3 sets and less reps after reading advice from a natty bodybuilder that said never sacrifice the amount of weight you lift for more reps when on a cut

Good call I really should start applying this more. Work in my 3-5RM range fir the big lifts and maybe keep the few accesories to 8 rep sets. I'm pretty sure RPT follows this style. I'll have to take a look though.

Advertisement