Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

• 13-03-2014 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

My NCT was due on feb 02 2014. I had to get my mechanic to do a bit of work on the car of which is all done now, and I have booked my NCT online for the 24th march. I printed out the booking e-mail.

My question is this... if I'm stopped and they see my NCT is out, will I be still ok if I show them the booking e-mail copy as it is booked, or can they still do me with 5 penalty points ? I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Zenno.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

zenno wrote: »
    Hello folks.

My NCT was due on feb 02 2014. I had to get my mechanic to do a bit of work on the car of which is all done now, and I have booked my NCT online for the 24th march. I printed out the booking e-mail.

My question is this... if I'm stopped and they see my NCT is out, will I be still ok if I show them the booking e-mail copy as it is booked, or can they still do me with 5 penalty points ? I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Zenno.

They can still do you for no NCT if they want.
    And they can seize you car on the spot.

Only if they want to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Not sure what the position is regarding being able to "do you" but I heard recently that your insurance may not cover you if you do not have a current NCT certificate. Not trying to scaremonger but might be worth checking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

CiniO wrote: »
    They can still do you for no NCT if they want.
    And they can seize you car on the spot.

Only if they want to though.

Damn. I don't need that hassle. In future I'll do it a month before the NCT is up. I was just having problems getting this car serviced and a few other things sorted and forgot the importance of it.

Thanks.

I don't think I'll chance it so. Might just leave the car here and use the bus. Not worth the hassle involved.

Damn. I don't need that hassle. In future I'll do it a month before the NCT is up. I was just having problems getting this car serviced and a few other things sorted and forgot the importance of it.

Thanks.

I don't think I'll chance it so. Might just leave the car here and use the bus. Not worth the hassle involved.

From experience of other people, most likely you would be fine.
    But it all up to discretion of the garda.
    If they want, they can do you for no NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Mongarra wrote: »
    Not sure what the position is regarding being able to "do you" but I heard recently that your insurance may not cover you if you do not have a current NCT certificate. Not trying to scaremonger but might be worth checking it out.

You will still be insured in respect of the minimum requirements of the RTA but any other cover than that may be in jeopardy. Only your Ins Co can give you a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Chances are youll be perfectly fine, especially if you can show that you have the test booked for the very near future. It all depends on the Garda at the time of course; dont take it as a given that they will let you go, but if it were me I wouldnt have too much of an issue with taking a chance, especially if there is nothing obviously wrong with the car that the Garda could point to as a reason to call the car unroadworthy (bald tires, broken lights etc).

djimi wrote: »
    Chances are youll be perfectly fine, especially if you can show that you have the test booked for the very near future. It all depends on the Garda at the time of course; dont take it as a given that they will let you go, but if it were me I wouldnt have too much of an issue with taking a chance, especially if there is nothing obviously wrong with the car that the Garda could point to as a reason to call the car unroadworthy (bald tires, broken lights etc).

I see. Everything with the car is tip top shape now after the full service and new tyres. I suppose there is a slight risk of having a problem if stopped. Sure it's only eleven days for the test so I don't mind getting the bus. The last thing I want is even 1 penalty point, so I'll err on the side of caution for the time being.

corktina wrote: »
    You will still be insured in respect of the minimum requirements of the RTA but any other cover than that may be in jeopardy. Only your Ins Co can give you a definitive answer.

Not necesserily.
    If insurance company clearly sets NCT as a requirement in a policy, when they could probably do is to pay to third party for the damage, and recoup that amount from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks.

Considering it's taking almost 2 months to get repairs and a retest you might try to do it a bit sooner if you can, you have up to 90 days early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my point being you would still be road legal, whatever else depends on your Company

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Considering it's taking almost 2 months to get repairs and a retest you might try to do it a bit sooner if you can, you have up to 90 days early.

That's the plan for next year. I won't be leaving it this long again that's for sure.

Passed the NCT this morning, but the odd thing I was told is that my two back tyres are 6 years old but are ok at this time he said, and he just said to keep an eye on them. That seems very old for tyres that are still ok :confused:

Passed the NCT this morning, but the odd thing I was told is that my two back tyres are 6 years old but are ok at this time he said, and he just said to keep an eye on them. That seems very old for tyres that are still ok :confused:

Might have been a couple of years old when you got them (as in brand new, but just in stock for a couple of years maybe?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Happened me once a few years ago,4 perfecrly good tyres which ended up in the bin,
    No bloody "E" mark eithet,is there a manufactured date on the tyres?

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    is there a manufactured date on the tyres?

Yeah it will be a 4 digit number, something like 4413, which means the 44th week of 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Same with mine on last NCT, not dangerous, one was put on a couple of months before nct (part worn) was 6 yrs old as pointed out by nct.
    as long as no cracks on side ,tread ok, as long it as E mark will pass,you should be ok.

Happened me once a few years ago,4 perfecrly good tyres which ended up in the bin,
    No bloody "E" mark eithet,is there a manufactured date on the tyres?

I can't see anything on the outside. I got these tyres fitted 4 months ago. I just thought it seemed a bit strange that they are 6 years old.

It just says tyre condition (36) more than 6 years old offside rear & nearside rear. pass/advisory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I can't see anything on the outside. I got these tyres fitted 4 months ago. I just thought it seemed a bit strange that they are 6 years old.

Were they sold as part-worn?

When i had that issue the tyre fitter was checking the inside of the tyre,so the date must be there,well done on passing the test,i have mine tomorrow

• Advertisement

Were they sold as part-worn?

Yes, The guy in the garage did say they were slightly worn.
    When i had that issue the tyre fitter was checking the inside of the tyre,so the date must be there,well done on passing the test,i have mine tomorrow

Cheers. Best of luck with your test tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've seen part-worn tyres as much as 10 years old being sold, and as there is no regulation on these, garages will continue to sell them without the buyer knowing.

They may be fine, and will only raise an advisory on the NCT, but if you had known, would you have bought tyres that old?

I've seen part-worn tyres as much as 10 years old being sold, and as there is no regulation on these, garages will continue to sell them without the buyer knowing.

They may be fine, and will only raise an advisory on the NCT, but if you had known, would you have bought tyres that old?

I wouldn't have bought them that old. I'll be purchasing two new tyres in a week or two, I don't really trust them to be honest. I'll take his advice.

I wouldn't have bought them that old. I'll be purchasing two new tyres in a week or two, I don't really trust them to be honest. I'll take his advice.

I hope i have no tyre issues with my nct tomorrow,one of mine is a part worn tyre,and that cost me €30,the same tyre new is €80

Cheers. Best of luck with your test tomorrow :)
    sure enough I failed the N.C.T :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

sure enough I failed the N.C.T :(

On tyres?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    On tyres?
    the front tyres were pass advisory,thread depth is under 3mm,it also needs a new front wishbone,the bushes are built into it sadly :mad:

the front tyres were pass advisory,thread depth is under 3mm,it also needs a new front wishbone,the bushes are built into it sadly :mad:

Sorry to hear that. How much will that cost to get sorted ?. It's a right fecker indeed when you're told something big needs repairing, more money.

Sorry to hear that. How much will that cost to get sorted ?. It's a right fecker indeed when you're told something big needs repairing, more money.

Rang the garage after the test they said €130,but i also need 2 tyres even though they didnt fail they are border line.

• Advertisement

Rang the garage after the test they said €130,but i also need 2 tyres even though they didnt fail they are border line.

Ah right, that's not too bad, but good tyres are expensive enough.

Advertisement