Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney "game has sold its soul at club level"

• 13-03-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/fai-s-john-delaney-says-top-players-wages-are-outrageous-1.1722619
    Delaney added: “The problem with the game in England is that all the money is going to players and agents. Then, if they’re not happy with the money they’re getting, the agents leak something to the newspapers.”
    Delaney said that international football is “purer” than club football, because the players represent their country and are not “doing it for the money”.

Nice of him to have an opinion on over paid footballers in England. Aware he was invited to speak at something but shouldnt someone have asked him the obvious question.
    The FAI chief executive is paid in the region of €360,000 annually. His pay peaked at about €431,000 in 2010 but he has since taken two pay cuts, reportedly of seven per cent and 10 per cent, as the FAI has sought to trim its cost base.
    Delaney declined to answer questions on the recent refinancing of the association’s €60 million debts, which are mostly associated with its share of the cost of rebuilding Aviva stadium. He said the details of the transaction would be presented to FAI members at its AGM in the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

While he certainly is paid too much, not sure how it is relevant to what he was talking about.

He's entitled to his opinions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ahhh so he thinks the international scene is "purer". Might explain the association he leads absolutely ****ing botched and neglectful stance with the domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Right opinion but the wrong person expressing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Was he asked a question about this or did he just proffer his opinion unprompted?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

But every footballer's contract originates as a result of an offer made to him by a club of its own free will. Premiership salaries are no higher and no lower than the market will bear. These are all pretty much all high-class practitioners who - if they left the Premiership - would find employment in many of the other major leagues.

I think some American writer came up with a theory on this called "The Economics of Superstar Remuneration" which explained the economic forces that suck money towards the best exponents of the most popular leisure activities.

What bugs me are the constant references to salaries as being "per week". I know it is the same thing, but if Rooney's salary was expressed as £15m per season as distinct from £300,000 per week, I think it makes more sense. In other words, having one of the top forwards around will cost a club about £60m in wages alone over a four-year period. It is up to the club to decide if it feels that that represents a worthwhile investment on its part ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

luckyboy wrote: »
    What bugs me are the constant references to salaries as being "per week". I know it is the same thing, but if Rooney's salary was expressed as £15m per season as distinct from £300,000 per week, I think it makes more sense. In other words, having one of the top forwards around will cost a club about £60m in wages alone over a four-year period. It is up to the club to decide if it feels that that represents a worthwhile investment on its part ...

£15 million a year or £300k a week, both sound equally insane to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    £15 million a year, £300k a year.....both sound equally insane to me tbh.

Manchester United who, remember were pretty much the first big European club to get the commercial side of the house in order, are hardly the type of naive Ridsdale-era Leeds or Carbone-era Bradford to go making offers that are too generous. If they offered Rooney that, they must obviously have felt - calculators in hand - that he would probably end up being worth it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

While he certainly is paid too much, not sure how it is relevant to what he was talking about.

He's entitled to his opinions

I wouldn't argue with his opinion but in fairness he can't complain . He is in on the gravy train that is professional football .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What would John Delaney know about league football to be able to pass an opinion. He's pissed all over the one here.

If he gave the league a 'soul' here, least we'd have the option to sell it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Instead of passing comment on the state of the game in another country, perhaps he should get his domestic house in order. And what makes him think he has the right to comment on another country's footballing state of health? If he was asked, he should just have said ''my sole concern is the state of the game in Ireland''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

blueser wrote: »
    Instead of passing comment on the state of the game in another country, perhaps he should get his domestic house in order. And what makes him think he has the right to comment on another country's footballing state of health? If he was asked, he should just have said ''my sole concern is the state of the game in Ireland''.

Agreed but that wouldn't get his name in the papers now would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Was he asked a question about this or did he just proffer his opinion unprompted?

Did you not read the article? :rolleyes:

Actually I agree with him about centralised television rights controlled by Uefa.

In fairness, he can only answer the questions hes asked.

Advertisement