Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No degree Korea

• 13-03-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone on here has taught English in South Korea without a degree? My boyfriend is moving there soon and I'm considering following him at some stage, I'm currently doing my TEFL and although i don't have a degree I have Montessori and advanced supervision in Childcare fetac level six? Surely that must count for something if I taught English in a kindergarden? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hi Cathy,

You must have a degree for 'visa' purposes, I'm afraid.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

yeah, unfortunately you need a 4 year degree to get the visa to teach.

If you have the means you could go over and study at a place like Sogang University especially if you boyfriend is working near it and his school gives him an apartment.
    I don't think students can work on the side though so i think you would have to have some money saved up.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Prawo_Jazdy

yeah, unfortunately you need a 4 year degree to get the visa to teach.

If you have the means you could go over and study at a place like Sogang University especially if you boyfriend is working near it and his school gives him an apartment.
    I don't think students can work on the side though so i think you would have to have some money saved up.

4 year degree? does a 3 year BA not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

Any degree covers it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cathy1992

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies, prawo_jadzy I've heard a few places it's a four year but I'm sure as long as it's a ba you should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

Cathy1992 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, appreciate the replies, prawo_jadzy I've heard a few places it's a four year but I'm sure as long as it's a ba you should be fine :)

I know loads who went there on a 3 year degree. 4 year degree optional in most universities yet still come out with the exact same degree at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I've been coming across ESL jobs lately that have specifically requested 4 year degrees. Haven't been looking for work in Korea so can't comment as to whether Korean schools have started looking for the same, but it's certainly out there.....

Advertisement