Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding wart

• 13-03-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

My v.elderly dog has lots of warts and lumps - all have been checked by vet. He has one large wart on his knee. Since his last illness, he is FULL of life and today on our walk he went through a hedge after a rabbit (at 16 :D) that wart is bleeding. Any suggestions/recommendations for how to clean/treat it? Salt water? Warm water? Purple spray? Sudocrem? Normally I'd just bathe it in salt water & lash on a bit of sudocrem (and keep him on my knee for a while so he cant lick it off) - but is a wart 'special'? (Wont be bringing him to the vet unless it becomes an issue - he HATES the vet; been ill and keep in there too many times lately)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

aonb wrote: »
    My v.elderly dog has lots of warts and lumps - all have been checked by vet. He has one large wart on his knee. Since his last illness, he is FULL of life and today on our walk he went through a hedge after a rabbit (at 16 :D) that wart is bleeding. Any suggestions/recommendations for how to clean/treat it? Salt water? Warm water? Purple spray? Sudocrem? Normally I'd just bathe it in salt water & lash on a bit of sudocrem (and keep him on my knee for a while so he cant lick it off) - but is a wart 'special'? (Wont be bringing him to the vet unless it becomes an issue - he HATES the vet; been ill and keep in there too many times lately)

Omg my oldie has a wart that she picks at/chews (I know disgusting!) she won't let it heal so it bleeds! My vet tells me to trim the hair as it needs air to dry it out so it will scab. I have a cream fuciderm but there is no point she just licks it off! I should put a cone on her to try and heal it but she would go crazy as she is blind. Vet says it's harmless but if she ever is going under anaesthetic he will remove it at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I remember my dad using castor oil as a rub for warts on an old greyhound years ago he reckoned it eased the itch and stopped them licking at them

I suppose if constantly licking at them they stay moist and cant dry up and heal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor old Pepper, who was chasing a rabbit a couple of days ago, and FULL of the joys of life, is laid low again today with another gastric episode. Last one was the days leading up to Christmas, thought he wouldnt pull through that time. Fingers & everything else crossed for the poor little chap tonight. Its so frustrating and miserable feeling so helpless looking at him :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

aonb wrote: »
    Poor old Pepper, who was chasing a rabbit a couple of days ago, and FULL of the joys of life, is laid low again today with another gastric episode. Last one was the days leading up to Christmas, thought he wouldnt pull through that time. Fingers & everything else crossed for the poor little chap tonight. Its so frustrating and miserable feeling so helpless looking at him :(:(:(

hope hes back chasing bunnies again soon that's the problem with the oldies up today down tomorrow everything crossed for him

well, he's back to normal and completely recovered from this bout :D Vomit/wee/poo cleaning kit has been put away for another day. Didnt have to bring him to the vet, dont know whether Pepper of I are more pleased about that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

These are just warts and absolutely nothing serious.
    However they do bleed and become swollen and the only real way to deal with them is to have them surgically removed. Our 14 year old spaniel had one removed quite recently because he was rubbing his nose off furniture and getting blood everywhere.
    In elderly dogs surgery is not ideal but he was fine and it solves the problem so it might be somehing to discuss with your vet.

Hes got quite a few warts, but the one on his knee is the oldest/largest. Unfortunately he is too old to undergo anaesthetic. Its dried up now and seems to be forming into a double wart :eek: but they are the last of his worries at this stage of his life I guess.

Advertisement