Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Jog on Dan.

You might explain your issue with this poster's bargain alert rather than making these unhelpfully cryptic postings...??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is Jack Daniels a bourbon should probably be a sticky post :)

I think the pertinent point for bargain alerts, is that JD and bourbon and perhaps Southern Comfort type liqueurs will be hit by the tariffs so stock up now...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Quackster wrote: »
    As L1011 said, Jack Daniels is not a Bourbon because they don't want it to be, pure and simple. The Lincoln County Process does not prohibit a whiskey from being classified as a Bourbon.

L1011 said it’s a bourbon

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

OmegaGene wrote: »

Yup.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Quackster wrote: »
    You might explain your issue with this poster's bargain alert rather than making these unhelpfully cryptic postings...??

Nope.

^^ Two weeks ban for trolling [Blade]

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is blatantly obvious that Quackster meant

As L1011 said, Jack Daniels is not called a Bourbon.

It legally qualifies as a bourbon, they just decide to to call it something else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process
    To be labeled as a straight whiskey, flavoring or coloring compounds are prohibited from being added to the spirit after the fermenting of the grain. Although it is a common misconception that this requirement prohibits the use of the Lincoln County Process for bourbons, it is actually not uncommon for bourbons to be charcoal filtered, and the decision not to label whiskies that use the process as "bourbon" may only be a choice of marketing strategy.

as I posted before, it does sound like it will be subject to tariffs. Otherwise all the bourbon guys could copy JD (if it was exempt) and just call it something else. Just like Captain Morgans do not call their product rum here, in the EU it must be 37.5% before you can call it rum, you can call names which can include the word rum.

O Briens wrongly call it rum, but you can see the bottle does not https://www.obrienswine.ie/captain-morgan-spiced-70cl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Presumption is dangerous leads to fake news and all sorts lol

Any cheap bulmers around ? €30 for a slab of cans in Tesco or €10 for 8 in SuperValu seems to be the best now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

back to booze bargains only please, sun burn has me rearing to hand out a warning to anyone who wants to moan

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

TheDriver wrote: »
    back to booze bargains only please, sun burn has me rearing to hand out a warning to anyone who wants to moan

I agree! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Jack Daniels €26 in Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

elperello wrote: »
    Jack Daniels €26 in Dunnes.

Was €25 in SuperValu today but looks like today is final day of it. It's €34 at the moment in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 470 ✭✭TetraSonic55

Was €25 in SuperValu today but looks like today is final day of it. It's €34 at the moment in Tesco.

It's been extended to the 11th

It's been extended to the 11th

That's good but if you have a Dunnes voucher you can get 2 bottles for €52 and subtract €10 for the voucher giving you a price of €21 per bottle.

elperello wrote: »
    That's good but if you have a Dunnes voucher you can get 2 bottles for €52 and subtract €10 for the voucher giving you a price of €21 per bottle.

That's pretty good value

That's pretty good value

I'll drink to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Lidl

Heads up: Perlenbacher XXL, €7.39 / 8x500ml from this Monday, July 9th! As far as I know, this the nicer, rarer, old-school version of Perlenbacher as well.
    Also watch out for Argus Strong 7.2%, €1.59 (I think?) / 500ml can, which usually hits the shelves the week immediately after XXL and would fit in with Lidl's Twitter telling me "middle of July" would be the next Polish week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wish they'd stock Tatra all the time. Their usual canned beer offerings are poor.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

There s anew burboun in Tesco and it's somehow only 13.99 for a 70cl bottle. 40% too AFAIK.

Old Samuel, blended burboun whiskey.

Price seems far too low. Anyone shed any light why its so cheap/not more popular!?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its below cost - it is impossible to sell a bottle of 40% spirits for that price profitably - the duty and VAT on the duty adds up to €14.66. So Tesco are taking a wash on every bottle sold, assuming that there's a good chance you'll buy 2 or 4l of Coke, food etc with it.

Its probably *too* cheap for most people to consider it. Virtually all these low cost supermarket bourbons are made by MGP at the old Seagrams plant in Indiana and are all fairly decent but they won't have spent a day over the required time in barrel.

Lidl's gin is another significant below coster, Tesco used to have a rum that was insanely below cost (approaching €3 loss per bottle on duty alone - before they pay for the spirit, bottle, packaging, shipping...) but it's gone now. But if buying that causes you to buy all the trimmings and maybe the rest of your weeks shop there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

they have it marketed as "one of the 800 products kept low priced for daily living" or whatever. Defo getting a couple bottles next time Im in so. They have wine for 3.99 euro too under the same advertisement

Anyone tried it by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone tried it by any chance?

Tried the white- even properly chilled its pretty vile.
    Had it in mind that if I didn't like it- I'd just use it in cooking.
    Changed my mind and poured it down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Can anyone plz tell me if the 6 bottles of plonk for €50 is still on in Tesco,and if so until when. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can anyone plz tell me if the 6 bottles of plonk for €50 is still on in Tesco,and if so until when. Thanks a mill.

Looks like it is 3 for 25 euros.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32428801

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yep. They had Graham Norton wine last Monday 6 for 50. Was wondering if the offer was still on
    Will call them tomorrow thanks for replying .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Presumption is dangerous leads to fake news and all sorts lol

Any cheap bulmers around ? €30 for a slab of cans in Tesco or €10 for 8 in SuperValu seems to be the best now

€10 for the 8 cans of Bulmers also in Aldi.

Didn't realise that the large bottles of Peroni were included in the 4 for 10 in Tesco. I don't think they were always in it. Pretty good all round

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Didn't realise that the large bottles of Peroni were included in the 4 for 10 in Tesco. I don't think they were always in it. Pretty good all round

12 x 330ml on offer at the moment for €16.00 (till 10th July) - works out at €4.05/L versus €5.84/L for the large 660ml bottles.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

vicwatson wrote: »
    12 x 330ml on offer at the moment for €16.00 (till 10th July) - works out at €4.05/L versus €5.84/L for the large 660ml bottles.

But if you buy the 66cl bottles as 4 for €10, they then work out at 3.79/l.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

On tesco online shop it says 20 bottles of Budweiser for 7/7/18 only is €12.. Must be part of their specials on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Smirnoff 1 litre €20.00 again valid 7/7/18 tesco

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement