Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Iceland sell alcohol and have €20 off a €60 spend
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057937692

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Tesco have it for €10 atm
    was going to say its 13 in mine the other day, but you are right at a tenner again.

Only 10.00 Baileys Original Irish...
    valid from 12/12/2018 until 16/12/2018

I thought it was all going to be higher price from now. THey might have too much stock, the beer in mine seems unsually high in stock. I see nobody with rakes of trays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Anyone planning on buying Dunnes bargain booze the Irish examiner have a voucher for €25 off €100 spend on the 15th of this month
    You can stack these too so save €50 off €200 and so on

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just popped in to have a browse and there are some incredible offers. I'm living in the UK and coupled with the vouchers the prices in the Irish supermarkets are so much cheaper! Ye lucky divils!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

crushproof wrote: »
    Just popped in to have a browse and there are some incredible offers. I'm living in the UK and coupled with the vouchers the prices in the Irish supermarkets are so much cheaper! Ye lucky divils!
    They really arent...in general it is the opposite...big time.

• Advertisement

The price of drink here has crashed only recently for the festive period it’s normally the opposite, I’ve driven from cork to Northern Ireland on a booze run in the past and saved a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Clipped :)

xpletiv wrote: »
    Got the bottle of Dom Perignon through Parcel motel. It was nicely wrapped in an amazon box, maybe they just can get through this time of year?

Alcohol gets through all the time they only have a weekly spot check but the more people post on here the chances will get slimmer
    If you’re going to chance it be prepared to take the loss and don’t shout about it on public forums

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gmisk wrote: »

Prices of spirits and sparkling wine are still FAR higher here. Beer is still generally dearer here too even with offers

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Are any of the Baileys knock offs in the budget supermarkets any use? And if not, what's the best price one might find on a bottle of the real deal?

Aldi do a Ballycastle that's very close and costs less than €7 a bottle any time I've seen it.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Prices of spirits and sparkling wine are still FAR higher here. Beer is still generally dearer here too even with offers
    Have you any examples? my friend works in belfast a lot staying for the week and has a van and does not come back with much drink. Maybe it is particular beers or spirits or shops? (or maybe it is wine, I have no idea about wine prices)

You say "big time" and "FAR higher" roughly what % are we talking?

I do not know if UK supermarkets have these 10 off 45/50 vouchers doing the rounds. (the poster did say "I'm living in the UK and coupled with the vouchers the prices in the Irish supermarkets are so much cheaper!"

I can see guinness in tesco is on offer 24x440mlx4.1% for £20 (XE rate €22.30)

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/293378565

If this was the same strength and size can as ireland it would be 20.617 Irish cans. So €1.08 per can. With my tesco vouchers mine are 65cent a can.

1L smirnoff is on offer at £16 in tesco, €17.87. It is €20 (well 2 for 40) in tesco, so €15.60 with vouchers.

The U.K. don’t have shop and save vouchers and booze is generally cheaper in the local off license compared to Tesco when I’m in London

Check asda for cheap booze prices online that’s where I was going a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The U.K. don’t have shop and save vouchers and booze is generally cheaper in the local off license compared to Tesco when I’m in London
    Check asda for cheap booze prices online that’s where I was going a couple of years ago
    Yes they do, regularly
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6645322/heres-how-you-can-get-5-off-at-lidl-thanks-to-the-sun/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Premium spirits are anything from 50-100% dearer here, even Irish whiskeys which is particularly galling

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108672900&postcount=1749

UK offer price £31, normal UK price £41. Dunnes normal price €65 (and they haven't been discounting it) so even with the Dunnes voucher it's ~60% dearer than the UK offer price

Guinness isn't a mass market beer in the UK, it's sold at a premium over lagers etc. Try comparing Carling or Carlsberg.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Guinness isn't a mass market beer in the UK, it's sold at a premium over lagers etc. Try comparing Carling or Carlsberg.
    I meant to mention heineken in my post, as I guessed that might be said about guinness after doing the calc.

You get 30x5%x440ml heineken for £20 (€22.30). This is the same as 30.697 cans of Irish 4.3% 500ml cans. So 72.6cent a can, vs 65cent a can here (with vouchers), 83.3cent with no voucher.

The fairest might be the cheapest known brand comparing per unit alcohol. Some brands might be cheaper here or there, many people are not that fussy.

Carling is 18x4%x440ml for £10 in tesco (€11.13). This is the cheapest branded beer I can spot. The cheapest I know of here is grolsch in tesco. The 18 carling cans equate to 12.67 cans of 5% grolsch which would cost €8.23 here with vouchers, without vouchers it is €12.76 not really significantly higher without vouchers.

In Asda I see the same for fosters, 18x4%x440ml for £10
    Carlsberg 20x3.8%x440ml for £12 (equates to 13.37 cans of groslch)
    Stella 18x4.8%x440ml for £12 (€13.37) (15.2 grolsch, which is €9.88 with vouchers or €12.67 without)

Obviously very few people are discussing premium spirits in this thread so should have been pointed out when saying they are "FAR higher". From the stock levels I see in my supermarkets very few are sold at all.

zell12 wrote: »

First I’ve seen of that, I don’t bother with newspapers anymore

rubadub wrote: »
    I meant to mention heineken in my post, as I guessed that might be said about guinness after doing the calc.

You get 30x5%x440ml heineken for £20 (€22.30). This is the same as 30.697 cans of Irish 4.3% 500ml cans. So 72.6cent a can, vs 65cent a can here (with vouchers), 83.3cent with no voucher.

The fairest might be the cheapest known brand comparing per unit alcohol. Some brands might be cheaper here or there, many people are not that fussy.

Carling is 18x4%x440ml for £10 in tesco (€11.13). This is the cheapest branded beer I can spot. The cheapest I know of here is grolsch in tesco. The 18 carling cans equate to 12.67 cans of 5% grolsch which would cost €8.23 here with vouchers, without vouchers it is €12.76 not really significantly higher without vouchers.

In Asda I see the same for fosters, 18x4%x440ml for £10
    Carlsberg 20x3.8%x440ml for £12 (equates to 13.37 cans of groslch)
    Stella 18x4.8%x440ml for £12 (€13.37) (15.2 grolsch, which is €9.88 with vouchers or €12.67 without)

Obviously very few people are discussing premium spirits in this thread so should have been pointed out when saying they are "FAR higher". From the stock levels I see in my supermarkets very few are sold at all.
    Are you bored ?

Don’t forget that in the festive period the U.K. supermarkets are in a price war just like here so the prices are not regular

Are you bored ?
    haha, a bit, but I did want to figure it out before, my friend has a van so I could be availing of these alleged huge savings (he is up there already on work so no petrol costs), but there are seemingly no savings at all for what I would be buying. He used to come back with bulmers/magners the odd time but that has plummeted in price here recently.

Those extreme sounding claims made me check again, as the drink is so cheap here at the moment I was wondering WTF are these prices like in the UK being described as "big time" cheaper, than the "FAR higher" prices here.

I also was guessing some just compare "a case of beer" price, when the cases here are typically more cans, higher % and larger cans. Most breweries are brewing to a high % and diluting back down. It has to be factored in.

Even the lidl voucher mentioned was 5/30 which is 16.7%, while tescos 45/10 are 22%

It was the magners i used to go for but they are always on offer now since the new ciders hit the market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

zell12 wrote: »
    Iceland sell alcohol and have €20 off a €60 spend
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057937692

not in their new store in nenagh...

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    not in their new store in nenagh...

All depends if they could get a license, my local Iceland doesn’t have a license

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I went for a nap and had a dream about
    vouchers
    :D
    I'm spending way too much time on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So I know there aren't a whole load of Smithwicks drinkers out there but in case both of us have not seen it, Tesco are doing 8 cans for 11.50 which is the best it's been in a while I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Quick question before heading to Tesco.

If I get a voucher at end of till receipt can I use it immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yellow Dog wrote: »

Not sure.
    Dunne's ones are following day

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

I don't believe so. Just buy one of papers that has 10 euro voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

No you won't get a voucher and when they did give them out it couldn't be used until a few days later. €10 off €45 spend voucher for Tesco in todays Independent can be used up until Christmas Eve.

By the mirror newspaper and you will get a voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Batesout wrote: »
    No you won't get a voucher and when they did give them out it couldn't be used until a few days later. €10 off €45 spend voucher for Tesco in todays Independent can be used up until Christmas Eve.

Agree they have stopped giving out vouchers, but last Saturday (8th) in Clarehall I put through a €50 spend, used my clubcard €10 off. Then used the €10 off €45 I got for that straight away for the second half of the shop. Receipt voucher said from 10th Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Been watching Hendricks gin for a couple of weeks..needed for a present..Tescos had it for €30 (70 cl) for a couple of days last year and it has dropped to €37 from €44 but says valid to 25/12 online so bit and used the €10 off €45 printable voucher from here and bought a few essentials for €8 to get it for €27..not great but about as good as it was going to get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement