Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Seve OB wrote: »
    Faustino 5 is down to 12 bucks in super value. A great price.
    Just wondering if anyone is in dunnes and notices if they match it, it was at 16 last time I was in there. It would be good to get a few and use the 10 off 50 voucher

Love this wine. Seen it for €8.50 in tesco last week. Couldn’t believe it. Shelf cleared out though. Next time maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

tmabr wrote: »
    Love this wine. Seen it for €8.50 in tesco last week. Couldn’t believe it. Shelf cleared out though. Next time maybe.
    8.50. That’s unreal price. I would have cleared the shelf myself

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Was in my local Aldi, Sligo, yesterday.

They have 20 x 330ml bottles of Karlskrone lager 4.3% for €9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Any deals on Guinness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yellow Dog wrote: »

That's nearly 12 pints for a tenner, I'll have to get a lash of that tomorrow and try it out.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wife tells me there are 5*660ml bottles of Orchard Thieves going for 10 bucks in Centra, offer on till Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I picked up 10 bottles last week. It’s sweeter than Bulmers. Fairly unpleasant. I did drink them all though.

Am off for a couple of days so going to do a bargain cider taste test. Rosies Vs. Linden Village Vs Olde English. Any other suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

stimpson wrote: »
    I picked up 10 bottles last week. It’s sweeter than Bulmers. Fairly unpleasant. I did drink them all though.

Am off for a couple of days so going to do a bargain cider taste test. Rosies Vs. Linden Village Vs Olde English. Any other suggestions welcome.

let us know how you get on

• Advertisement

That's nearly 12 pints for a tenner, I'll have to get a lash of that tomorrow and try it out.

I've gotten it before and really liked it. As a base line, I tend to drink Czech and Polish beers. I don't like Heineken or Carlsburg if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

. Rosies Vs. Linden Village Vs Olde English. Any other suggestions welcome.
    2L flagons of aldi cider, lidls is OK too, but I would take aldi over most of the cheaply produced stuff (which includes bulmers, its only about 33% juice so is cheap to produce).

Linden 2L is €5 in tesco and 6%. I used to drink tesco cider the odd time but it has not come back in my local ever since the CO2 shortage.

The 2L fits better in my fridge and since I drink it in a glass with ice I prefer it over cans, and its cheaper per ml. I hate coke in 2L as it goes flat but flattish cider is not as bad to me at all.

I don't like orchard thieves at all, too sweet and a bizarre fake taste like cheap apple sweets. The applemans tastes more like fizzy apple juice with vodka, which is a nice taste, I love apple juice & vodka, but it is not a cider taste.

rubadub wrote: »
    2L flagons of aldi cider, lidls is OK too, but I would take aldi over most of the cheaply produced stuff (which includes bulmers, its only about 33% juice so is cheap to produce).

Linden 2L is €5 in tesco and 6%. I used to drink tesco cider the odd time but it has not come back in my local ever since the CO2 shortage.

The 2L fits better in my fridge and since I drink it in a glass with ice I prefer it over cans, and its cheaper per ml. I hate coke in 2L as it goes flat but flattish cider is not as bad to me at all.

I don't like orchard thieves at all, too sweet and a bizarre fake taste like cheap apple sweets. The applemans tastes more like fizzy apple juice with vodka, which is a nice taste, I love apple juice & vodka, but it is not a cider taste.

Grand. I have to hit Aldi too so I’ll pick up a couple. This will bring me back to my knacker drinking days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Grand. I have to hit Aldi too so I’ll pick up a couple. This will bring me back to my knacker drinking days.

Ethnic minority drinking days😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ethnic minority drinking days😁

I was a posh knacker- I drank vodka. Mostly because it was easier to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

DON'T...Trust me it's diabolical [email]Cr@p..No[/email] taste from it (apart from the chemical type)

510565.jpeg

Mission accomplished. The full lineup is
    • Linden Village
    • Olde English
    • Rosies
    • Druid
    • Stonehouse
    • Cullens (Aldi)

And I have a couple of longnecks of Bulmers as a control. Also got a few racks of Pork Ribs to soak up the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

510565.jpeg

• Linden Village
    • Olde English
    • Rosies
    • Druid
    • Stonehouse
    • Cullens (Aldi)

And I have a couple of longnecks of Bulmers as a control. Also got a few racks of Pork Ribs to soak up the alcohol.

There's a fella begging outside my local Spar, a daily consumer of cider - I could have asked him for you if I'd seen your post in time!

There's a fella begging outside my local Spar, a daily consumer of cider - I could have asked him for you if I'd seen your post in time!

How do you know that’s not me?

• Advertisement

Mission accomplished..
    I hope that white bag is full of paracetamol!

I think aldi might have 2 other ciders, one a bit more expensive and I think it is weaker at 4.5% so probably trying to emulate bulmers, and then I think they have an expensive bottles one trying to emulate the craft ones with higher apple juice content.

I would put bulmers in another bracket too, its like cidona mixed with vodka, cidona is made with fermented apples and actually contains traces of alcohol.

The aldi cullens cider you got is more inline with the run of the mill similar 5-6% ciders like linden village.

There's a fella begging outside my local Spar, a daily consumer of cider !
    One of my favourite sketches ever! though its beer

rubadub wrote: »
    One of my favourite sketches ever! though its beer

And that sketch always reminds me of this:

http://www.foodfight.org.uk/other/images/trampindex.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

• Linden Village
    • Olde English
    • Rosies
    • Druid
    • Stonehouse
    • Cullens (Aldi)

Just missing some Devils Bit :) Stonehouse is my personal favourite, way better than any of the Bulmers/Orchard Thieves/Applemans/etc. options

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

100 per cent agreed. Pretty sure the moretti is imported from italy whereas the peroni is uk piss.

Dunno about elsewhere, but I'd buy Peroni fairly regularly from Dunnes, any I've seen is brewed in Italy. The city where it was brewed is on the back of the label next to the BB date.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

28064212 wrote: »
    Just missing some Devils Bit :) Stonehouse is my personal favourite, way better than any of the Bulmers/Orchard Thieves/Applemans/etc. options

Just started with the Stonehouse as it happens. Top marks for putting the ingredients on the can. Unfortunately it includes sugar and Malic Acid. Sugar is there to bump the ABV. Malic Acid is to try and put back in some flavour. It’s a bit too insipid for me. Not unpleasant like the Orchard Thieves but not much character.

I need to come up with some kind of scoring system for this. I’ll take notes and come back when I’ve tested them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It’s all about the Aldi Cullens cider imo if you’re drinking cheap ****ty cider.

It’s all about the Aldi Cullens cider imo if you’re drinking cheap ****ty cider.

That remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've bought a few 8 packs of it recently and I though myself it was quite nice to be honest. I'd rank it head and shoulders above Orchard Thieves.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I've bought a few 8 packs of it recently and I though myself it was quite nice to be honest. I'd rank it head and shoulders above Orchard Thieves.

To be fair I’d say it’s a matter of taste.

Orchards thieves to me tastes like someone rammed my mouth full of apple drop sweets.

That might have been ok at 10 years of age but now I’d prefer a more traditional cider. Cullens does the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement