Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Smithwicks 500ml bottles (Pale Ale/Blonde) are €2 in Dunnes at the moment. Normally €2.60

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

amber2 wrote: »
    Guinness offer Coming up next cycle in S/V 12 500ml cans of Guinness for €15.

Is this happening?
    I need to order some Guinness and Smithwicks and I take it 8 cans for 13 euro isn't a great deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is this happening?
    I need to order some Guinness and Smithwicks and I take it 8 cans for 13 euro isn't a great deal?
    Its very rare to see a good offer on Smithwicks. I would not pay much more than a euro a can for guinness, but that is probably the best price you can expect around now, as its offers are usually quite seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The only time I saw a good offer on smithwicks was 24 for 24 after Patricks day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Is this happening?
    Instead of Smithwicks, try O'Sheas red ale in Aldi, it's anout €1.90 for 500ml bottle. And try the O'Sheas Stout instead of Guinness. Works out not much extra for better drink. Also Brú Rua is in Lidl for around €2 per bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Instead of Smithwicks, try O'Sheas red ale in Aldi, it's anout €1.90 for 500ml bottle. And try the O'Sheas Stout instead of Guinness. Works out not much extra for better drink. Also Brú Rua is in Lidl for around €2 per bottle

As much as I agree with you on the ale, only murphys and beamish come close to draught stout as opposed to bottled extra stout type of drink.

Only thing is the quality of the ale in the more expensive ones is quite noticeable e.g. sabotage or blacks of kinsale compared to O'Sheas (which is made by O'Haras but not a patch on their own stuff)

TheDriver wrote: »
    As much as I agree with you on the ale, only murphys and beamish come close to draught stout as opposed to bottled extra stout type of drink.

Only thing is the quality of the ale in the more expensive ones is quite noticeable e.g. sabotage or blacks of kinsale compared to O'Sheas (which is made by O'Haras but not a patch on their own stuff)
    Yes, but if Smithwicks is acceptable quality for this person, O'Shea's surely is. If you're willing to pay a bit more the 8degrees ales are the best of the Irish ones I think. Their Howling Gale is great for the price, and I think the Hurricane IPA is well worth the extra few cents

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, but if Smithwicks is acceptable quality for this person, O'Shea's surely is.
    I doubt it, this should have read

"only murphys and beamish close to draught nitrogenated stout" meaning the cans with widgets

Most guinness drinkers I know do not like carbonated stouts. I have been handed over other nitrogenated stouts in pubs by mates who drink guinness, as the taste was too strong for them.

I believe guinness has grown less flavoursome over the years, and in the beer forum some lad in the business said they had done so. I remember 20+years ago when beginning to drink lads and especially girls baulking at the taste of it. It really struck me on arthurs day when I saw everyone happily gulping down guinness (as other taps were shut off).

Also many just like the look and feel of the "creamy head" and would be hugely put off by something looking like this

O'Shea's+Irish+Stout.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Thanks for the replies. I'll need to stick to the Guinness itself because its for someone who's coming from abroad, who likes to have a Guinness while he's here. And he like the Smithwicks too so I'll get some of those.

I generally don't drink the dark stuff very often myself so I'm not too educated on the Aldi and Lidl offerings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Can anyone remember which supermarket has the 20 bottles of Heineken for €20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

TheChevron wrote: »
    seen it on tesco online just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SuperValu and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

any deals on Guinness anywhere?

M

casio4 wrote: »
    any deals on Guinness anywhere?
    8 for €13 in Tesco and SuperValu seems to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I got them in lidl last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I got them in lidl last Sunday.

Tesco and Centra too.

M

Tesco
    Litre bottles €25
    Smirnoff/Captain Morgan/Cork Dry Gin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Any deals on Powers Whiskey?

M

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Any deals on Powers Whiskey?

700cl bottles for €23 in SuperValu seems to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just a heads up, Tesco seem to have dropped their own-brand White Rum, but you can still get a 70cl of €11.69 White Rum in Aldi.

Now that Tesco have dropped it there's nothing stopping Aldi from increasing their price so I wouldn't necessarily rely on it sticking around for too long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just a heads up, Tesco seem to have dropped their own-brand White Rum, but you can still get a 70cl of €11.69 White Rum in Aldi.

Now that Tesco have dropped it there's nothing stopping Aldi from increasing their price so I wouldn't necessarily rely on it sticking around for too long...

Unfortunately Aldis is muck in comparison. One of the few cases of the cheap Tesco brand actually being better - their vodka and gin are woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anyone know if or when Dunnes are doing the 25% off wine promotion?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

L1011 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Aldis is muck in comparison. One of the few cases of the cheap Tesco brand actually being better - their vodka and gin are woeful

Is it muck enough that even when mixed it's unpleasant? Any tesco own brand spirit is tolerable once mixed. Now shots on the other hans.....

L1011 wrote: »
    Aldi gin has won awards:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/22/aldi-own-label-gin-taste
    http://www.checkout.ie/aldi-s-gin-triumphs-at-international-awards/11157

Lidl's scored better recently though:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/19/supermarket-gin-which-morrisons-lidl-waitrose

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Tesco website saying 24 cans of Guinness for €28 not sure what others are included Heineken on the list also available until 2/5/16

M

casio4 wrote: »
    Tesco website saying 24 cans of Guinness for €28 not sure what others are included Heineken on the list also available until 2/5/16

Sweet deal. It says it's from tomorrow, others included are Coors Light, Bulmer and Bulmers Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Is it muck enough that even when mixed it's unpleasant? Any tesco own brand spirit is tolerable once mixed. Now shots on the other hans.....

Tesco own label brandy/cognac is pleasant enough on its own. E21 a bottle compared to E30 for Hennessy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Slab of Coors €19.99 in Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mr. Tickle

joeysoap wrote: »
    Slab of Coors €19.99 in Lidl

I can't see this on their site. When is this valid from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Hmm, that was 3years ago. They could have changed it to something muck since. €13 is alright for a punt though. I shall report back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement