Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Artic Tyrannosaur

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's called Nanuqsaurus. 'Nanuq' is Inupiat for 'polar bear'. At 7 meters in length, it's being called 'tiny' in a lot of places, but I certainly wouldn't mess with one!

http://www.nature.com/news/diminutive-dinosaur-stalked-the-arctic-1.14859

edit: Oooh, beaten to the punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Can´t believe it wasn´t me who posted it first. U-U I'm retiring.

This not-so-little guy comes too late to star in the Walking with Dinosaurs movie which takes place in Nanuqsaurus' time and homeland... considering what I've heard about it, its maybe not such a bad thing anyways. :D

Perhaps the most curious thing is that the Troodon found in the same places are not that much smaller than Nanuqsaurus- as seen in that chart. I wonder if they're the largest known troodontids or there's another, bigger one somewhere.

That chart looks a little off to me. The Arctic Troodon is meant to be 2.4 metres long isn't it? If Nanuqsaurus was 6, then it can't be right.

PS: nice pic Adam:

http://www.krank.ie/category/snippet/week-22/4/

Galvasean wrote: »
    That chart looks a little off to me. The Arctic Troodon is meant to be 2.4 metres long isn't it? If Nanuqsaurus was 6, then it can't be right.
    /QUOTE]

2.4 meters long? But the normal, southern Troodon is supossed to be much smaller, and is often cited as being 3 meters long...

Hmm, Wiki is saying the largest Troodon specimens were the same size as Deinonychus, so about 3 metres long. Maybe that refers to the Arctic ones?

• Advertisement

I doubt it... ever since I can remember Troodon has been 3 meters long or so... have the Arctic troodonts been described at all?

There's some confusion about Nanuqsaurus because some sources state it was 7 meters long whereas others say it was no longer than 5.5 meters or so, but judging by the size chart above, the Arctic Troodon was almost the same length so in one way or another, it must be bigger than those 3 meter long ones...

It seems to be the way with any big meat eater announcement these days; the news like to add an extra metre onto it's length...

Advertisement