Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatibility of Windows 98 / XP Games in Windows 7

Options
  • 13-03-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I have a game of Roller Coaster Tycoon from 1999 that worked in Windows 98. I have a copy of the Corkscrew Follies Expansion pack and as far as I'm aware, both worked perfectly fine in Windows XP (I'm almost 100% sure they worked in Windows XP).

I am currently running windows 7, and I ran compatibility mode in windows 7 and the game will open, the opening credits come up fine, the main menu displays fine but when I click on one of the main menu options (load game, start game, open tutorial etc) it doesn't work and the main menu just loads agai.

Help?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It sounds as if the game is not compatible with W7.

You can run Windows XP compatibility mode on Windows 7 or alternatively run Windows XP using VMware player which is free for non-commercial use or another VM appliance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

If Mr. G's suggestion works then maybe you should only run the game offline.
    Important
    After April 8, 2014, technical support for Windows XP and Windows XP Mode will no longer be available, including updates that help protect your PC. This means that if you continue to use Windows XP or use Windows XP Mode on a Windows 7 PC after support ends, your PC might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Therefore, to keep your Windows 7 PC secure after April 8, 2014, we recommend that you only use Windows XP Mode if your PC is disconnected from the Internet. Learn more about Windows XP end of support.

Be careful of any patches that may be recommended by other sites, I personally wouldn't trust them anyway.

I *think* 64 bit Windows 7 has more trouble doing things like this than 32 bit.

I would exhaust the variations in Compatibility Mode before I would do anything else.
    Try older compatibility modes such as 95/98, disable Visual Themes, Disable desktop composition and check Run as this program as Administrator and click ok.

A more labour intensive option if you really want to play it would be running it in an XP Virtual machine (if you have an XP licence handy).

Wildcard suggestion:
    Maybe adding the game to Data Execution Prevention exceptions, I have never done this in Win7 but it's a long shot.

Or if you really want you can purchase a version for modern PCs on GOG $5.99 for the game and the 2 expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can get a cheap compatible version here

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I recall running it on windows 7 recently. I know there was a bit of tweaking or patching to be done but it worked. Give it a google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You'll need to be running windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate in order to install Windows XP Mode and your hardware must support virtualisation. As for buying or owning an XP license, you won't need to. It's all part of XP modes virtual machine setup. It's simple to configure the virtual machine not to have a network card or internet access.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Ken

Advertisement