Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RH Negative Blood

• 13-03-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Just wondering is RH Negative blood and o negative blood the same?
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They are the same colour anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Blood types are A, B, AB and O.

The Rhesus factor is separate. If you have the Rhesus antigen you are Rh+, if you don't you are Rh-.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was just wondering that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Just wondering is RH Negative blood and o negative blood the same?
    Thanks.
    Yes and No!

Negative means the same as Rh Negative, it relates to the absence of the Rh D antigen.

O is part of the ABO blood grouping. So you could be Rhesus negative but A or B, or O but rhesus positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Anyone else have ABneg?

I believe im 1 in a thousand.

Im special.

Im fcuked if I ever need a transfusion.

• Advertisement

Anyone else have ABneg?

Im special.

Or a liver transplant, which seems more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Anyone else have ABneg?

Im special.

I met a guy in Galway with it. He thinks he's special too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

Anyone else have ABneg?

Im special.

I hope you have a few spare Xtapolapocetl head carvings knocking around, you may need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Anyone else have ABneg?

Im special.

no you're not, you can take blood of anyone who is rh-. The problem is more the use of your blood, it can only be given to people with ab+ or ab- blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

I was reading some stuff on the web saying RH negative people are somehow descendants of aliens, how do people make this stuff up?!

• Advertisement

I was reading some stuff on the web saying RH negative people are somehow descendants of aliens, how do people make this stuff up?!
    Scientology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

murphm45 wrote: »
    no you're not, you can take blood of anyone who is rh-. The problem is more the use of your blood, it can only be given to people with ab+ or ab- blood.

That's grand so thanks.
    Now I only have to worry about the fact I have alien blood ffs.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

That's grand so thanks.
    Now I only have to worry about the fact I have alien blood ffs.:D

Maybe you should fcuk off back to the delta quadrant and worry about it immigrant :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I have O- blood and I'm supposed to carry about a wee card saying so. Here's hoping I never need a transfusion in an emergency because I always forget it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

There are many known blood "groups"; ABO, Rhesus, Kidd, Duffy, Kell, Lewis, etc.
    most people produce antibodies to non compatible ABO groups after 6months. It's what makes the ABO group (A, B, AB, O or H) one of the most important. The H protein is a precursor or the O protein which is a precursor of the A and B proteins. So A and B people have O proteins in their body and wouldn't attack them. But an O person would never have A or B proteins and would attack them.

The Rhesus group has D, E, e, C, c, etc. Rhesus negative means you don't have the D. So if exposed to it your body would attack it. Rhesus negative blood can be given to Rhesus positive people if otherwise compatible (ie ABO) as there's nothing there to recognise as forgein and attack.

The Lewis group has a gene that determines whether you secrete your "blood type" in bodily fluids like saliva and semen.

Group O is the most common group in Ireland so we're normally ok for sourcing transfusions. Move to a country there there are very few group O people and it's a different story.

No Irish lab would issue blood to be transfused to a patient on the basis of a card that they carry. The lab would always confirm the blood type (ABO, RhD) & screen for other antibodies first and may test the compatibility of the blood first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm the universal giver but I have yet to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have RH+ you have monkey blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As a dour pessimist I find it fitting that I have B negative blood.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My hubby is O-, the universal giver, and gives blood a fair bit. One time himself and his uncle (same blood type, also a donor) were working together and got called in to one of the maternity hospitals to give an emergency donation. Not sure what the reason was, but his uncle said it happens from time to time like if the hospital's supply is low and an emergency comes in :eek:

Advertisement