Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using feed and weed

• 13-03-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I sowed a lawn last august and cut it twice last year. Now I have weeds and the grass is thin, I was going to get a feed and weed and woundered when would be the best time to use it? The lawn was sowed with a machine and the grass came up in rows but inbetween rows there's no grass, will this nit together in time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭fiestaman

fiestaman wrote: »
    I sowed a lawn last august and cut it twice last year. Now I have weeds and the grass is thin, I was going to get a feed and weed and woundered when would be the best time to use it? The lawn was sowed with a machine and the grass came up in rows but inbetween rows there's no grass, will this nit together in time?

Mmm, not much info here, thanks for all the views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Best time to apply fertiliser is just before rain is forecast so it'll wash in, anytime from now on is okay.
    Don't use a weed and feed product as your lawn is probably still too young for a weed product, give it till the end of May/middle of June to apply a lawn weed killer.
    Yes the grass should/will nit together.

Can anyone recommend a weed and feed to use now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Can anyone recommend a weed and feed to use now?

You want 2 seperate ones now, Have a look in Aldi they have autumn lawn feed if there is any left and use that, if not look elsewhere for some autumn lawn feed.
    For the weeds you'll need a dedicated weed killer for use on lawns ie verdone or dicophar and spray on, but I wouldn't worry to much about weeds now as the cold will kill them off. Just wait until spring and do a proper routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello fiestaman

We would advise against using regular lawn feed this time of year.
    As Norfolk Enchants said, your lawn is too young for any strong fertilizer also; coming into the autumn you should never feed lawns - as it will encourage further soft growth which can be damaged by frost

An autumn lawn feed would be suitable now. Autumn lawn feeds encourage root growth and help establish lawns

Wait until next spring to treat your lawns for weeds.
    Again we would suggest using a lawn specific weed killer. Dicophar is brilliant.
    And the, if necessary, apply a lawn feed - high in nitrogen (from mid spring)

If you need more tips or advise you can contact us on our website: thegardenshop.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've just scarified my lawn, what should I put on it now for Autumn and winter?

Hi Gman

Is your lawn very bare after scarification?

You could topdress your lawn now with new lawn seed and grit sand

But it is getting quite late in the year for sowing grass seed. You would need 2 more weeks of frost free weather to ensure the grass seed does not die. So you should re seed as soon as possible

If your lawn isnt bare after scarification then i would suggest an application of autumn lawn feed and then leave it until next spring

We have more tips and advise on Lawn care on our gardenshop website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Just looked at article in last weeks IFJ - page 40 on grassland trials. Wonder if products ( containing) physiolith or stimgrass soil conditioners would have relevancy for lawn situations?

Interested in comments from subject matter experts on this.

(( disclaimer - absolutely no connection with such products or vendors)).

Thanks grade shop. I have a lot of strong thistles, should I hold out until spring to target these too and will the diophnar kill these too?

Hello Again fiestaman

Yep, Dicophar will kill Thistles and I would spray the thistles now.

Dicophar works best when weeds are growing (most ideal is when flowering)
    But there is still growth out now so you will still get good results

You will definitely need to re-apply next spring

• Advertisement
Advertisement