Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope from USA

Options
  • 14-03-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Can I buy a scope privately from the USA , bring it in without paying any thing extra when it arrives ? , anything I have bought in the us before I have had to pay duty when it was delivered

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Short answer no.

Everything from outside the EU incurs VAT and duties on both the item and the cost of shipping. VAT is at 21.5% (AFAIK) and the average cost of duty varies depending on item, but on glass and optics it's usually around the 4% mark. So add 4% and then 21.5% of the total cost of the item, cinlduing shipping and there is your price.

There is a serious clamp down on all items from the USA. Even people that used to ship from Canada are getting it hard with some items. One last thing, before it's mentioned. As the evasion of taxes is illegal we cannot discuss any methods on how to do so.

What scope are you looking for?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you want to bring it back with you in your suitcase etc.. It can be a bad idea due to the itar regulations even if it dose not require an export licence it still needs an end of user agreement etc.. so i could be dogy i wouldn't risk it if it were me.

juice1304 wrote: »
    ....... even if it dose not require an export licence it still needs an end of user agreement etc..

Had to do this for my Sightron and that only came form the UK. Very strict everywhere at the moment and i cannot see it lightening up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hillhunter

Cass wrote: »
    Short answer no.

Everything from outside the EU incurs VAT and duties on both the item and the cost of shipping. VAT is at 21.5% (AFAIK) and the average cost of duty varies depending on item, but on glass and optics it's usually around the 4% mark. So add 4% and then 21.5% of the total cost of the item, cinlduing shipping and there is your price.

There is a serious clamp down on all items from the USA. Even people that used to ship from Canada are getting it hard with some items. One last thing, before it's mentioned. As the evasion of taxes is illegal we cannot discuss any methods on how to do so.

What scope are you looking for?

Looking to but a nightforce 8 x 32 nxs with a ch3 reticle , cannot find any local , can buy from another forum but is in the us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Then you definitely need an export licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

I got a new Nightforce from http://www.espfrance.com/ cheapest place I could find in europe. No issues with sending it though you do need to send them photo ID when ordering with credit card. Also the site is in french so I had to use google to translate the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hillhunter

nastros wrote: »
    I got a new Nightforce from http://www.espfrance.com/ cheapest place I could find in europe. No issues with sending it though you do need to send them photo ID when ordering with credit card. Also the site is in french so I had to use google to translate the site.

Thanks I will try that

Had a look at that site, and no offence but the prices are expensive. They are selling the BR model NF in 8-32 for €1,360. I bought mine up North for €1,250. They are asking €2,100 for the 8-32 and €2,155 for the 12-42, NXS models. I've seen them going for €1,850 for here. That is nearly €300 cheaper.

I found the new 15-55x52 model on that site for €2,359 and here for €2,450. That is only €90 difference and it can be viewed and brought home with no shipping, etc.

Shipping is only 7 euro for there scopes. Your probably right about there Nightforce scopes but I did also get a Sightron off them for a good deal cheaper then what was offered in any site in the UK I could find selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try this crowd http://www.webyshops.com.
    Reasonable enough price and will do the export paperwork for you as well.Which TBH for Ireland is actually a very painless procedure.Download a Pdf document of 1or2 pages,fill it in and fax or email it back to them with the payment.

This is from their website on how to place an order for a scope. And was good as of Aug 2013 when I bought mine off them.

MODS,maybe make this a page of info in the How to section?As this topic seems to come up at least once a year??
    Also,those companies that say the cant export outside CONUS are either unaware of this legislation change,or just dont want the bother of doing these international orders and are just happy supplying the domestic market.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

nastros wrote: »
    Shipping is only 7 euro for there scopes. Your probably right about there Nightforce scopes but I did also get a Sightron off them for a good deal cheaper then what was offered in any site in the UK I could find selling them.

I hope you don't think that i am trying to knock everything you are saying but i own the Sightron SIII & S-Tac and the prices that site shows is more expensive for the SIII than i paid and the same price for the S-Tac.

I done a thread on this a little while ago and it showed that Irish prices for Nightforce and some other stuff was actually cheaper than abroad. Even more so when you consider exchange rates, taxes and duties. All i'm saying is don't expect foreign prices to be cheaper simply because they are foreign.

I'm not saying everything is cheaper nor am i saying all dealers are cheap. Just shop around and use the phone more than the interweb and i guarantee you'll find a price that will rival most other foreign shops.

Haha don't worry about it your right I'm sure if I rang around a bit more id probably find more deals. For me its just easier with work to buy and deal with people through the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

Lads, do scopes coming from the uk require an import licence like the Firearm does or is it just the End user agreement that might be required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hillhunter wrote: »
    Looking to but a nightforce 8 x 32 nxs with a ch3 reticle , cannot find any local , can buy from another forum but is in the us

I was going to suggest that you look around the local sites. There seems to be a lot of NF's about for sale, however, not in ch3, mostly NPR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Scopes from uk above 4x i think it is need a licence but a number of uk dealers such as sportsmanguncentre will do paperwork although you could be waiting about 5 weeks all told between purchase and receiving your scope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Brought a scope in from US early last year, all that was required was a end user agreement. I paid duties and or VAT which includes cost of shipping.

Later on in the year I tried several US companies for shotgun chokes but to no avail, eventually I was in touch with a shop in Canada via email and phone. Every thing was set in place to deliver to me, postage costs where qouted, payment details arranged etc. But nothing came of it and when I got back into touch they told me they couldn't go a head with the deal. Pity I was getting a sweet deal.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

photosmart wrote: »
    Scopes from uk above 4x i think it is need a licence but a number of uk dealers such as sportsmanguncentre will do paperwork although you could be waiting about 5 weeks all told between purchase and receiving your scope

You definitely don't need an Irish importation licence from the DOJ for any standard optical rifle scope. Laser sights and nightvision scopes are a different story but a standard scope with classic glass lenses and an adjustable reticle ( internaly illuminated or not ) are not firearms according to Irish or UK legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Only the UK wants an end user certificate,is simply because they can sell it over the counter in the UK, to whomever and they have no idea who is buying it in Ireland.A ligit gun owner or someone supplying the Taliban.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement