Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish army minimum service

• 14-03-2014 1:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

What is the minimum length of service you ve to do before you can leave, and is there anyway way to leave before your contract is up?

When you first join is there a period of time in which you can request to leave, if you dont like it?

Also do you have to live in the barracks, or if your with in a reasonble distance can you live at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

I'm not sure about the rules now but when I done recruit training you would rarely get out on weekends, Maybe 2 or 3 weekend passes during the entire 26 weeks and that was if the platoon was up to scratch. Bare in mind if you go onto Artillery or Cavalry you will have to do unit specific training so you can add another 10 weeks onto that for Artillery units, not sure about Cav.

As for leaving, you can request a discharge at anytime during recruit training. You can also buy yourself out of your initial 5 year contract, the cost will depend upon the courses you have done whilst serving with the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

The discharge process takes 3 months I believe once you're enlisted. After training you can live at home while working, every soldier i know lives off base and commutes for your typical 8-4 workday. You can live on the barracks if you choose to, but i believe you pay for your accommodation anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Thanks for the replys lads, are you 100% you can buy your way out ? i cant find anything about this stuff on there site, or about the initial service lenghts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Xios wrote: »
    The discharge process takes 3 months I believe once you're enlisted. After training you can live at home while working, every soldier i know lives off base and commutes for your typical 8-4 workday. You can live on the barracks if you choose to, but i believe you pay for your accommodation anyway.

3 months? :confused: where did you hear that?
    evo2000 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys lads, are you 100% you can buy your way out ? i cant find anything about this stuff on there site, or about the initial service lenghts

Yes you can buy yourself out. Why do you need to know? Do you plan on joining then leaving? If so, don't be taking someone else's place.

3 months? :confused: where did you hear that?

Yes you can buy yourself out. Why do you need to know? Do you plan on joining then leaving? If so, don't be taking someone else's place.

I am planning on joining, but im also not a fool, id like to have an idea of what way the contracts work and how to get out if i absolutely hated it (which i highly doubt i will) but its no harm to be educated on the matter just in case.

As for taken someones spot? If you didnt get it you didnt earn it regardless. Dont blame other people for your short commings, if you dont get what you want.

• Advertisement

I am planning on joining, but im also not a fool, id like to have an idea of what way the contracts work and how to get out if i absolutely hated it (which i highly doubt i will) but its no harm to be educated on the matter just in case.

As for taken someones spot? If you didnt get it you didnt earn it regardless. Dont blame other people for your short commings, if you dont get what you want.

I'm not sensing any potential esprit de corps at all here. Don't worry about being locked into a contract and not liking the job. The DF won't "finally approve" someone who doesn't want to be there. If you make it passed Recruit Trg you can still leave but it may cost you more.

Your last paragraph is deplorable, the guy behind you won't have many "short commings", it will just come down to something very minor. You may not be as suited to the job as a guy 50 places behind you.

If you do get in, try not to piss off the people who come just behind you in a run, it may be their "short commings" but you may need them one day.

Best of luck.

I'm not sensing any potential esprit de corps at all here. Don't worry about being locked into a contract and not liking the job. The DF won't "finally approve" someone who doesn't want to be there. If you make it passed Recruit Trg you can still leave but it may cost you more.

Your last paragraph is deplorable, the guy behind you won't have many "short commings", it will just come down to something very minor. You may not be as suited to the job as a guy 50 places behind you.

If you do get in, try not to piss off the people who come just behind you in a run, it may be their "short commings" but you may need them one day.

Best of luck.

Your first reply was utterly ridiculous, you seem to have a problem with people being informed, and instantly jump to the conclusion that if someone has a question they arent suited to the job,

Im sorry me wanting to know about a contract offends you!

So come down off your high horse there rambo, with your deplorable bull****!

And if i dont get the spot and someone else does and then decides to leave cause they dont like it, thats still my fault that i didnt beat them to it in the first place, not theres, everyone has the same opportunity i certainly wont be sitting there blaming someone else lol

Your first reply was utterly ridiculous, you seem to have a problem with people being informed, and instantly jump to the conclusion that if someone has a question they arent suited to the job,

Im sorry me wanting to know about a contract offends you!

So come down off your high horse there rambo, with your deplorable bull****!

And if i dont get the spot and someone else does and then decides to leave cause they dont like it, thats still my fault that i didnt beat them to it in the first place, not theres, everyone has the same opportunity i certainly wont be sitting there blaming someone else lol

Look man, don't be taking all this personally.

I have no problem with people being informed. I have a problem with people (not you) wasting other people's time. Usually, from my experience, the people that look to know how to get out before they get in, never last. However, I do understand why you asked the question.

*If* you pass everything and are offered a place, the contract situation is explained to you. At that stage, it's not too late to opt out.

Now, I never said you were not suited to the job because you asked a question. I said "you MAY not be AS suited to the job as a guy 50 places behind you"....that's a quite different statement. Therefore, a person accepting a place and leaving soon after, may have wasted a place. Simple.

I am not offended by you wanting to know about a contract that you have not yet been offered.

I am not Rambo and I don't have a horse.

I suggest letting go of the defensiveness, anger and actually reading what others say correctly. It is important, in a military environment that you leave your emotions and opinions at the gate on the way in. It is very important that you read and respond to things carefully...you may have to give or receive orders one day. There is no room for expletives and/or non factual comments or interpretation.

As I previously stated, best of luck.

Look man, don't be taking all this personally.

I have no problem with people being informed. I have a problem with people (not you) wasting other people's time. Usually, from my experience, the people that look to know how to get out before they get in, never last. However, I do understand why you asked the question.

*If* you pass everything and are offered a place, the contract situation is explained to you. At that stage, it's not too late to opt out.

Now, I never said you were not suited to the job because you asked a question. I said "you MAY not be AS suited to the job as a guy 50 places behind you"....that's a quite different statement. Therefore, a person accepting a place and leaving soon after, may have wasted a place. Simple.

I am not offended by you wanting to know about a contract that you have not yet been offered.

I am not Rambo and I don't have a horse.

I suggest letting go of the defensiveness, anger and actually reading what others say correctly. It is important, in a military environment that you leave your emotions and opinions at the gate on the way in. It is very important that you read and respond to things carefully...you may have to give or receive orders one day. There is no room for expletives and/or non factual comments or interpretation.

As I previously stated, best of luck.

You need to be more clear in what your saying then because its very easy to interpet what you said as back handed insults if you will.

You also cuda just answered the question in the first place and we could have avoided all this ****e,

Thanks anyway for the info! thats all i wanted to know!

P.S you should get a horse, there mighty yokes no need to tax em nct em or anything :D

You need to be more clear in what your saying then because its very easy to interpet what you said as back handed insults if you will.

You also cuda just answered the question in the first place and we could have avoided all this ****e,

Thanks anyway for the info! thats all i wanted to know!

P.S you should get a horse, there mighty yokes no need to tax em nct em or anything :D

Yeah it probably looked that way but was not my intention. Have a good one.

Oh, if you do get in. I recommend staying for the first contract to get a full soldier experience. A lot of people leave without deploying overseas etc.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Yeah it probably looked that way but was not my intention. Have a good one.

Oh, if you do get in. I recommend staying for the first contract to get a full soldier experience. A lot of people leave without deploying overseas etc.

Best of luck.

ah if i do i most likely wud stay for the full, but its nice to know that if 3 years down the line something has changed theres a fair way out ie paying your way.

I have the fitness im running a mile and a half in 9:10 and the push ups are no problem same with sit ups,

Did you serve recently? any tips for the recruitment process, interviews an the likes?

No man, I'm in 14 years. I just turned up and they kept me because I'm awesome :)

If you get the interview, just don't BS them.....they hate that.

No man, I'm in 14 years. I just turned up and they kept me because I'm awesome :)

If you get the interview, just don't BS them.....they hate that.

14 years, jaysus fair play man haha

I only sent off the application there yesterday, have they started doing the fitness tests and that yet or will they start that after the application window closes?

Whats a pychometric test aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

They love modesty too! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Fitness tests start immediately. I got word today mine is on the 25th.

Fitness tests start immediately. I got word today mine is on the 25th.

When did you send off your app?

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Couple of days ago. Fast moving anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

I've also got my fitness on the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

I'm a 3rd year apprentice sparks, but looking for something a little more exciting!

I havent heard anything back yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

xseanx wrote: »
    I'm a 3rd year apprentice sparks, but looking for something a little more exciting!

How far into your 3rd year?
    your obviously still young enough to finish your trade and still join ya?
    If I gave you any advice and its up to you if you want to listen but I would finish your time, get your qualification and then join. Your trade will Always stand to you especially in the army (but also a spark is a very goodtrade to have behind you.)
    if you do decide to go further in the army you will have more than the person next to you, gives you something to talk about and also shows commitment to finish something (4 year apprenticeship to 5 year contract, where leaving your trade mid time, its a lot harder to explain away and may actually hinder you more)

now that my 2 cents and I do have experience also (time served carpenter, currently in CIS and going back to college, so believe me it all looks good on paper, helps in interviews) but best of luck anyway, wish you all the best should you go and enjoy the experience and remember to get more out of the defense forces than what they want from you. And that goes to all potential recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

xseanx wrote: »

Definitely recommend finishing your apprenticeship bud nd apply again in a year or two. If you have a trade you will pretty much walk in unless you take a **** on the interviewers table.

Plus you will have something decent to fall back on if the army doesn't work out for you.

I applied on the 13th still no reply back for a fitness test :( anyone else reply around then and hear back since ?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

I applied on the 13th still no reply back for a fitness test :( anyone else reply around then and hear back since ?
    Yeah I applied on the 15th and got mine for next Tuesday. Where did you apply to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I hooe that poster does finish his trade, he would be nuts not to. If theres one thing the army loves, its when a guy is good at something, anything!

Alan_007_ wrote: »
    Yeah I applied on the 15th and got mine for next Tuesday. Where did you apply to?

Applied for cork, wonder should i give em a call ? im good to go fitness wise just waitin for a date... im 24 aswell so its now or never like ha

discus wrote: »
    I hooe that poster does finish his trade, he would be nuts not to. If theres one thing the army loves, its when a guy is good at something, anything!

Yeah be foolish not to finish off the trade especially if his got a few years before the age requirements

Alan_007_ wrote: »

Just got an email there for the 3rd :D:D ****in delighted!

Advertisement