Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet pub on paddys day ?

Options
  • 14-03-2014 2:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering is it even possible to find a quiet pub in Dublin on paddys day ?

When I went into Dublin city centre 2 years ago on paddys day it seemed liked everyone in country had all drank about 10 pints and it was only 3pm!

This can not be giving the world a good image of Ireland.

It would be nice to go to a pub on paddys day where everyone in it is not totally off their head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why do you want to go to the pub on Monday on Paddy's day (if not for the raucous atmosphere)? Could you not instead go on Saturday or Sunday? Realistically, it's gonna be very messy - perhaps slightly less than other years cause the weather may keep more people on the streets around that time but nevertheless. I'd advise perhaps hotel bars for a bit of a quieter atmosphere. Somewhere like the Mint bar in the Westin maybe could be more genteel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Get in early !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Suburbia and/or Old Man Pubs.

You might have a chance then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

cson wrote: »
    Suburbia and/or Old Man Pubs.

You might have a chance then.

I was in surburbia last year. It was like a kindergarten on a carpet of crisps and ripped beermats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

like a kindergarten on a carpet of crisps and ripped beermats.
    This will apply to about 90% of bars. Unless you are a guest for St Patricks day in a 5* Hotel.
    Why not post this in Parents Forum since you are so concerned about the image Jumboman? ? I await the response in good faith.

• Advertisement

Think about a good exit. Before 3PM before most bars will be rollicking. Watch out for the green furry hatted bar "patrons".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You want to go for a quiet pint in the city centre on Paddys day?

In the contrarian sweepstakes that would trump complaining that the buses aren't running up O'Connell street during the parade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Hartigan’s on Leeson St. Was there last Paddy's and it was quiet without being empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's like looking for a quiet department store on Christmas Eve.

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's like looking for a quiet department store on Christmas Eve.
    Or December 23rd mid afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gugleguy wrote: »
    Or December 23rd mid afternoon

Nah, mine's better :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

gugleguy wrote: »
    This will apply to about 90% of bars. Unless you are a guest for St Patricks day in a 5* Hotel.
    Why not post this in Parents Forum since you are so concerned about the image Jumboman? ? I await the response in good faith.

My point is that tourists who visit pubs here on Patricks day must think we are a nation of alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We kinda are?

Jumboman wrote: »
    My point is that tourists who visit pubs here on Patricks day must think we are a nation of alcoholics.
    Well this is an After Hours Thread in tbe Dublin Forum. Am I derailing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

And if you are spending the day in the pub too, aren't you only adding to that impression? Ok, so you may not be roaring off your head drunk. You may just be just sitting there quietly reading the paper. But your being in a pub in the first place, instead of doing more wholesome and family friendly activities on our national holiday, doesn't exactly do much for our image as nation of teetotalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Never mind the Irish what do most tourists do in Ireland when they come here for St Patricks day I'll give ya a hint they go the pub, what do people non Irish even around the world do on St Patricks day guess what they go the pub ;).

Rightly or wrongly it's a day associated with drinking the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

you won't find a quiet pub on paddys day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Bar in the Westbury is usually quiet a bit pricy but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

We are,nothing to be ashamed of.Drinking is a good hobby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

The 51 and Smiths on Haddington Road...not quite city centre, but only a 15min walk.... I lived on Haddington for a few years and they were always quiet on Paddy's Day, just the regular few auld lads.

Quite a few on that end of Baggot St will be pretty quiet too as most people will be in the centre of town.

I think this thread could just as well be posted in Cork city. Or Galway city. Or Limerick. I mean there are large breweries in Waterford as well as Cork. Sharing is caring. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

If you want a nice quiet establishment on Paddys Day.. The Dáil Bar is very quiet this time of year, Mind you it is well know for odd Party's now & again.
    Not to sure of the opening times.
    Last year we found a nice little place "McGrath's" in Drumcondra not city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Never mind the Irish what do most tourists do in Ireland when they come here for St Patricks day I'll give ya a hint they go the pub, what do people non Irish even around the world do on St Patricks day guess what they go the pub ;).

Rightly or wrongly it's a day associated with drinking the world over.

I don't think the whole world gets off their head at 3 PM on paddys day.

Its one thing to have a drink but walking into a pub sober and seeing everyone falling all over place like they have just drank 10 pints in the middle of the afternoon is not a pleasant experience.

Advertisement