Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering home address as business.

Options
  • 14-03-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

What/if any are the implications of using your home address as sole trader business address?

Has it anything to do with the County Council? Rates? or is it Revenue?

I was told to check it out before registering, but i'm not sure what i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I registered at a home address and have had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

No issues with using your home address for a business registration. The problems start when you start using your actual home to conduct business activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

No issues with using your home address for a business registration. The problems start when you start using your actual home to conduct business activities.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Is there something about capital gains tax if you sell you home at a later stage. Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

mrswalton wrote: »
    Is there something about capital gains tax if you sell you home at a later stage. Anyone any experience of this?

That's only an issue if you claim part of your rent or mortgage as a business expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

if you carry out business services from your home, say Physiotherapy or hairdressing etc, you need planning permission, are liable for commercial rates etc etc... that is what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Only if you have dedicated business facilities there. If you just "work from home" then you don't necessarily have to pay rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Its never been an issue for me....mind you I never traded from the address I registered the business from.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

If you register your home and operate from there meetings with the Revenue will take place there.

Advertisement