Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to PhoneWatch

Options
  • 14-03-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I had a look to see if this had been asked previously and have read the stickies, but I couldn't see my question having being answered anywhere.

I've moved into a house that used to have a PhoneWatch monitored alarm. It was set up in the house 4 years ago, but hasn't been active for around a year I'm guessing. Over the past few months, I've been contacting PhoneWatch customer support to sign up and get the monitored alarm up and running again, but have encountered so many problems with their customer service and engineers that I want an alternative now.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following - I've read here and various other places online that it's possible to set up the landline in the house to call three mobile numbers if one of the sensors go off. Can anyone provide me with information on this? Will a private, independent security company be able to set this up for me? I believe I also need a new battery in one of the sensors and a new battery for the main alarm (I could be wrong on this). Will a security company be able to use PhoneWatch alarm system (that's already installed) for this job?

I'd greatly appreciate any help/advice/experiences anyone can provide on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Frogdog wrote: »
    I had a look to see if this had been asked previously and have read the stickies, but I couldn't see my question having being answered anywhere.

I've moved into a house that used to have a PhoneWatch monitored alarm. It was set up in the house 4 years ago, but hasn't been active for around a year I'm guessing. Over the past few months, I've been contacting PhoneWatch customer support to sign up and get the monitored alarm up and running again, but have encountered so many problems with their customer service and engineers that I want an alternative now.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following - I've read here and various other places online that it's possible to set up the landline in the house to call three mobile numbers if one of the sensors go off. Can anyone provide me with information on this? Will a private, independent security company be able to set this up for me? I believe I also need a new battery in one of the sensors and a new battery for the main alarm (I could be wrong on this). Will a security company be able to use PhoneWatch alarm system (that's already installed) for this job?

I'd greatly appreciate any help/advice/experiences anyone can provide on this.

Do you know what system you have installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid I don't know much about it other than it being "Phonewatch". How can I find out? Would there be a serial code or something similar on the alarm keypad?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid I don't know much about it other than it being "Phonewatch". How can I find out? Would there be a serial code or something similar on the alarm keypad?

If you put up a picture more than happy to give you all the information you need.

Great, thanks altor. I'll put one up by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

Great, thanks altor. I'll put one up by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

Your welcome, some of there systems do have the ability to contact an owner in the event of an alarm activation. Just need to know the one you have to give you more information :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for your reply.

Its probably one of these
    S6807.ashx
    or

SIMON-XT-XFR-1_detail.jpg

Ya it's more like the second one. Not exactly like it, but close enough.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Simon XT..
    Easy enough to reprogramme once the engineer code is known.

I'm guessing that only a PhoneWatch engineer would know the code?

I wasn't even given the alarm code when I moved into the house and PhoneWatch can't find it or reset it remotely, they said I needed a full system reset, which would require a callout from an engineer, at a time that suits them (not me).

I think (Not 100%) that anyone can default that system,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

We took over one of those Simon XT panels today and connected it into another monitoring station
    From experience and before we got to site I asked the client to contact them to let them know that he was transferring his business elsewhere and that he needed the engineer code for the panel.
    This he did and we very easily did what we had too and saved the man quite a few bob in monitor charges.

As you know, in most cases the engineer code is easy to source.

KoolKid wrote: »
    As you know, in most cases the engineer code is easy to source.

I do indeed just like getting folk to say bye bye to our Scandinavian friends.

Ok I've got the Simon XT - see attached.

Yup...
    Shop around, this can be programmed by anyone into any station.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You've a simon xt with a built in gsm dialler .. It can also ring your phone directly by just changing the phone number.

If setting this system up to contact yourself make sure you change the phone protocols to Voice for each number programmed.
    Otherwise it will keep ringing your phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

My mother-in-law just got her bill for Phonewatch...

€190 for the Alarm Monitoring Service

+

€232 for the Alarm Maintenance Service

=

€423 SubTotal

+

€75 VAT

= €498 Total

That's outrageous imo. Is there anything to justify the Maintenance charge ?

As always. Shop around. Any PSA licenced company can set up monitoring for you.

Mumha wrote: »

+

=

€423 SubTotal

+

€75 VAT

= €498 Total

All depends on whats covered for that price to be honest.
    Would she be charged for replacement parts if they are needed?
    Contracts that cover all parts can be more expensive in the end. She could end up paying for the alarm system over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Liam282

Mumha wrote: »

+
    =
    €423 SubTotal
    +
    €75 VAT
    = €498 Total

My parents have just got their renewal -
    202.64 plus 23% vat Monitoring
    247.63 plus 13.5% vat Maintenance
    Total €530.31

PW say the maintenance is mandatory!! Complete and utter rip off.

Problem is that panel is very old (late 90s) so any move to an alternative monitor will probably require a re-install.....

Liam282 wrote: »
    My parents have just got their renewal -
    202.64 plus 23% vat Monitoring
    247.63 plus 13.5% vat Maintenance
    Total €530.31

PW say the maintenance is mandatory!! Complete and utter rip off.

Problem is that panel is very old (late 90s) so any move to an alternative monitor will probably require a re-install.....

With regard to a reinstall, then possibly due to Garda response criteria as introduced in 2005, do you know did they by any chance upgrade the panel software for this?
    Do you know which panel they have?

kub wrote: »
    With regard to a reinstall, then possibly due to Garda response criteria as introduced in 2005, do you know did they by any chance upgrade the panel software for this?
    Do you know which panel they have?

I can't say for certain but some upgrade was done around the time you mention. There are not identifying marks other then PW on the panel. Here's a link to a picture of it

1drv.ms/1mQLG5k (as a "new" user I'm prohibited from posting URLs - so please put the usual http : // before that)

I can't say for certain but some upgrade was done around the time you mention. There are not identifying marks other then PW on the panel. Here's a link to a picture of it

1drv.ms/1mQLG5k (as a "new" user I'm prohibited from posting URLs - so please put the usual http : // before that)

Hi Liam I will try that later when I am in front of the computer.

kub wrote: »
    Hi Liam I will try that later when I am in front of the computer.

Much appreciated. Thanks

That is one of the older classic systems.
    In terms of moving monitoring you would be lucky to find anyone to take it on.
    I would recommend an upgrade to anyone with this system. No parts are available due to the system being obsolete now.

Advertisement