Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falsely accused of keeping pets, management want to inspect

Options
  • 14-03-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife have been renting an apartment in a small complex for just over a year now. This morning she got a call from the management company who look after our apartment on behalf of the Landlord, saying they had received a complaint by another occupier in our building that we had been keeping pets, and that they want to come in and expect.
    I would just like to know my rights on this issue. We are not keeping any pets. And my understanding, is that only the Landlord can come and inspect, on appointment (http://tinyurl.com/o78yoq2).
    Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why you making it so hard on yourself.

You're not keeping pets. Just let them in and show them that ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Just let them have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

amdublin wrote: »
    Why you making it so hard on yourself.

You're not keeping pets. Just let them in and show them that ffs.

And find out who made the incorrect complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Landlords/agents are fully entitled to inspect the tenancy periodically, provided they give adequate notice and the inspection is arranged at a mutually benificial time. You cannot refuse this, regardless of the grounds on which they have requested the inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Have you been keeping pets? If not, then why not just let them in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to concur with the above- if you indeed have no pets, you're only causing extra hassle and trouble for yourself by fighting it. The landlord is answerable to the Management Company- and could be asked to evict you (legally of course)- if the Management Company suspects you are not complying with the terms of your landlord's lease (your landlord's lease- *not* you lease- which is a separate matter).

You're only creating hassle for yourself by fighting this one.........

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Swift and direct, my thanks for your time!
    Just a bit baffled as to grounds of the complaint.

Len_007 wrote: »

Apartment complexes can be a bit funny sometimes as to how noise travels. Someone in your complex obviously has a dog or something that is pissing one of your neighbours off, to the point where they wrongly assumed it was you and contacted the management company (they may have thought that the noise was coming from your apartment, or it may have been a general complaint and they are working through the different apartments until they find the culprit). Its annoying but its not a big deal for you in the long run; a five minute inspection will confirm that you are not breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

OP make sure you get ID before you leave anybody enter your apartment.
    Myself and my wife have been renting an apartment in a small complex for just over a year now. This morning she got a call from the management company who look after our apartment on behalf of the Landlord, saying they had received a complaint by another occupier in our building that we had been keeping pets, and that they want to come in and expect.
    I would just like to know my rights on this issue. We are not keeping any pets. And my understanding, is that only the Landlord can come and inspect, on appointment (http://tinyurl.com/o78yoq2).
    Any help would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Honestly what are they hoping to find in an inspection? If you did have a dog, all you would have to do is give the dog to a friend for a few hours, clean the apartment and move the dog bowls. Like unless you have a a number of cows in the apartment, its very hard to prove you have a pet

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Honestly what are they hoping to find in an inspection? If you did have a dog, all you would have to do is give the dog to a friend for a few hours, clean the apartment and move the dog bowls. Like unless you have a a number of cows in the apartment, its very hard to prove you have a pet

Unless you are prepared to give the place a deep clean, I wouldnt have thought it would be too hard to spot signs of a dog living in an apartment. Usualy you can smell them, and there are bound to be some traces of dog hair etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Which would also leave the tenant in breach of his obligations under the lease.

However, in this instance, the OP has stated that he does not have a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

odds_on wrote: »

One side of a story

Followed by the other side of the story

Maybe find the truth somewhere in between

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Gatling wrote: »
    One side of a story

Followed by the other side of the story

Maybe find the truth somewhere in between
    Half a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Op,a landlord or an agent appointed by them can make a request to access the property for inspection purposes.
    Being difficult about it doesnt really help as it looks like you're either being difficult or buying time to get rid of a dog temporarily. Or thats how it could appear.

The smell, have a dog, I can smell the dog smell in the rooms she's allowed.
    odds_on wrote: »

Which begs the question, why be difficult about a request that is reasonable, access to inspect the property in this case for a specific reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

cerastes wrote: »
    Op,a landlord or an agent appointed by them can make a request to access the property for inspection purposes.
    Being difficult about it doesnt really help as it looks like you're either being difficult or buying time to get rid of a dog temporarily. Or thats how it could appear.

The smell, have a dog, I can smell the dog smell in the rooms she's allowed.

Which begs the question, why be difficult about a request that is reasonable, access to inspect the property in this case for a specific reason.
    Furthermore, a landlord / his agent does not require a reason for a periodic inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... the management company who look after our apartment on behalf of the Landlord,

Relevant bit highlighted.

They can do an inspection with 24 hours notice, without giving you a reason.

TBH, it sounds amateur/odd that they gave a reason.

If someone is dumb-assed enough to keep a pet even though the lease says it's not allowed, they may not be bright enough to remove the evidence for a routine inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

They can do an inspection with 24 hours notice, without giving you a reason.
    No, they can't. The tenant has to agree to the date and time of the inspection, unless it's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

djimi wrote: »
    Unless you are prepared to give the place a deep clean, I wouldnt have thought it would be too hard to spot signs of a dog living in an apartment. Usualy you can smell them, and there are bound to be some traces of dog hair etc.
    But that would only proof that a dog had lived in the apartment, not that it still does.
    The tenant could very well argue that there was a misunderstanding before and he thought he could keep a dog, but got rid of it as soon as the complaint made it clear that he couldn't. So the breach of contract would be solved and no further action from the landlord would be justified, unless he could proof that the tenant was not telling the truth about the dog having been removed from the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Loopy neighbour possibly ? some nice relaxing cat purrs and stuff :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Half a dog?

or Cat/Gerbil/Anaconda/Coelacanth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'd let them inspect the place OP. Then afterwards play a few different youtube clips of different animal noises on high volume, to confuse the neighbours for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

mdebets wrote: »
    No, they can't. The tenant has to agree to the date and time of the inspection, unless it's an emergency.
    Does it have to be in writing or can the request be verbal?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

OP - are you Ace Ventura? Are you hiding pets in the cookie jar / toilet?

Seriously, just let them in. They have to arrange a time that suits you. Back it up with emails, copies of letters or any correspondence. Someone has said on this thread that the management company / landlord can walk in with 24 hours notice - rubbish. Its 7 days. if its an emergency, they can arrive on site immediately. Have a friend with you for some support / witness. Get the names of the people who come into the property. You show them around, as opposed to them going wherever they want. In the end, when you have been fully vindicated, ask for a letter from the management company stating that they have viewed the property, no evidence of pets was found, and that they apologise for any inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Any updates OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

This happened to me. My neighbour kept reporting us for keeping a cat. First time landlord called, I told him that I didn't have a pet (against the building and lease rules) but I had opened a window (ground floor) while I was having breakfast so maybe one had come in and was stuck inside. I was at a CPD thing hours away, OH was away with work so I asked the landlord if it was possible for them to check and see if that is what happened. I didn't want to have a cat trapped inside for about 12 hours with nowhere to go to the toilet...

Anyway, landlord kindly agreed, went, no cat, no sign of any pets. The neighbour kept on calling and telling everyone who lived around us about the awful cat that kept him awake at night. Obviously, our landlord was satisfied that we didn't have a cat and intervened on our behalf when the residents association started making noises about us disturbing an owner-occupier.

Always had a good relationship with the landlord, so we had no issues with him coming into check/ repair at any stage. We eventually moved out and I met our landlord on the street about three months later. His new tenants were the neighbours from hell but since our old neighbour had caused nothing but grief for him/ us/ other neighbours, nobody had any sympathy for him. He was the only one affected by them, and he was left to it by everyone else.

My advice, let them in, then ask who made the complaint. No animal, no problem...

Advertisement