Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera (Not Responding)

Options
  • 14-03-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Right, I've used Opera as my main browser for over a decade and have been very happy with it. Using version 12.16 now (on Windows 8.1 Pro X64) and increasingly it starts to hang for 10-30s with multiple tabs open, with the bar showing "Opera (Not Responding)"

My PC is fine, doing the same in other web browsers (IE11, Chrome) does not cause any issues

Anyone any ideas?

Opera 20 is looking great and seems very fast, but the mouse gestures are not customisable (afaik), so this is not an option for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

tried opera's safe mode ?

disable extensions see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I have no extensions

How do I use opera's safe mode? I can't find any option for it. There's nothing in Opera's help on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Click on the Opera menu button, located in the upper left hand corner of your browser . When the drop-down menu appears, select the New private window option.

gives you problems in that mode ?

Cheers, yes exact same problem in private window. The issue happens as soon as I open a few tabs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Opera, maybe my next step is to uninstall, delete the relevant Opera directories and re-install.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use Opera 12 too and have had it freeze on me a few times, seems to be connected to flash in my case as it only happens on youtube and such sites.
    Only extension is Adblock but it happened before I had any extensions too.

• Advertisement

Uninstalled flash player. Still have the same issue. It does seem to happen on flash sites though. When I open a lot of boards tabs, everything is fine. When I open a lot of tabs of say independent.ie, I have the not responding issue.

I have my opera cache in a ram disk. Not sure how that can be relevant, but thought I might as well mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

I had the same problem. The only solution was to move to the new chrome like Opera.

Opera 12.16 is dead in the water I'd say.

There is a mouse gesture extension for opera 20 but I haven't tried it.

Description
    Are you missing RightMouseButton + scroll wheel shortcut to switch tabs? It's brought back with this extension! Install this extension to have this killer feature available.
    This is early version that will be updated soon.

https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensions/details/opera-12-like-tab-switcher/?display=en

I wouldn't mind moving to Opera 20. It looks good and feels fast and mouse gestures are built-in, but the problem is they are not customisable afaik

Ok, I tried this and it seems to work in Opera 20

Thanks to this extension you will be able to download and install extensions from Google Chrome Web Store directly in your Opera browser.
    This extension allows to install ONLY extensions...

https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensions/details/download-chrome-extension-9/?display=en

Then from Opera

Gestures, smooth.
    This Mouse Gestures extension allows you to move the mouse while holding the right mouse button to trigger actions, such as page navigation or tab management. Supports click-and-drag (mouse gesture), click-and-scroll (scroll gesture), click-and-click (rocker gesture), and keyboard shortcuts!

• Powerful customization of gestures (and custom actions!)
    • Supports diagonal gestures, import/export of settings
    • Does not work on this extension website, or other built-in chrome pages due to security restrictions for extensions. But it does work on almost all http:// and https:// pages.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smooth-gestures/lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld?hl=en

• Advertisement

Can't get my favourite mouse gesture (to close a tab) to be just right click -> drag down as this just opens a new tab. Have to use the default right click -> drag down -> drag right

But I can live with that. Just opened about 30 tabs and there's no issues at all

Very handy that you can now use Chrome extensions in Opera with that extension, thank you!

Next question: how to use a Ramdisk for cache for Opera 20? In previous versions you could easily point the cache to where you want to be in the opera:config, but there are nearly no customisation options in there now...

Crickey that was easy :eek:

Just starting Opera with this shortcut: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe" --disk-cache-dir=R:/OperaCache/

Result! :cool:

Opera:config is now Opera:flags

unkel wrote: »
    Can't get my favourite mouse gesture (to close a tab) to be just right click -> drag down as this just opens a new tab. Have to use the default right click -> drag down -> drag right

Turn off the 'enabling mouse gestures' in the browser settings. Then try the Chrome add-on.

Yep that did the trick :)

Can't thank you enough, I'm a very happy Opera 20 user now :)

unkel wrote: »
    Yep that did the trick :)

Can't thank you enough, I'm a very happy Opera 20 user now :)

I did not want to leave 12.16 either but after using the new Opera for about six months now I am glad I did.

So am I :)

Additional benefit for me is that one of my top 10 most visited websites didn't work in Opera, but it is fine now thanks to the Chrome engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Opera 12.16 till I die!

I've not had any issues to speak of bar the occasional crash due to something unexpected like a site with flash that freezes when loading and some annoying pauses due to a slow "hand-shake" with flipping external social media sites (independent.co.uk has been very bad at times).

Howdy Mike, our paths haven't crossed much on here in the past few years :)

I bet you'll be a happy Opera 20+ user before you hit your 100k posts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shanks Pony these days!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Shanks Pony these days!

:eek:

That banger A6 finally die on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Opera is the dogsballs, just set images to cache only, feeds to min 24hrs and be thankful your not opening Chrome with thise 20 windows (will crash de RAM for sure).
    I have x20+ pop/imap email accounts feeding into it, handy. (low-bandwidth mode of course).

Just thought I'd give an update here. 3 weeks now since I moved to Opera 20 and I haven't had a single crash and it is very fast indeed.

Took a little while getting used to the new setup, but I'm glad I upgraded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've also used Opera for years, currently on 12.16, which strangely tells me its the most recent version. I went to opera.com and got 20 to try on another machine.....where's the damn menu bar?

I sometimes get the Not Responding thing, usually have a lot of tabs open, but mostly not flash. Well excluding ads! It often goes back to normal after a couple of minutes. Sometimes I find its using 50% cpu

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I've also used Opera for years, currently on 12.16, which strangely tells me its the most recent version. I went to opera.com and got 20 to try on another machine.....where's the damn menu bar?

I sometimes get the Not Responding thing, usually have a lot of tabs open, but mostly not flash. Well excluding ads! It often goes back to normal after a couple of minutes. Sometimes I find its using 50% cpu

You're doing something wrong. Edit toolbar options under preferences. Takes a couple of minutes to load up my x40 tabs and plugins but needless to say try this with chrome (even x20 tabs) and watch taskmanagers memory overall allocation max out.

You can also load x30 seperate email accounts (on low bandwidth mode), again try this with Outlook, not so good.

Joe Doe wrote: »
    You're doing something wrong. Edit toolbar options under preferences.

On my trial install of Opera 20 on an XP machine, there's only Settings, no Preferences, and no toolbar options in there.

Press either Alt+v to evoke the 'view' drop down then tick toolbars. / Or Ctrl+F12.
    //Though I'm on v12. Alt combos are dandy and should fire up some menu options anyways (take note Apple inc.)

Older versions of opera were good for pulling cached files (using profile install and 400mb cache) jpg/swf/gifs/mp4/mp3 etc..

xp? - no longer supported by windies, why not upgrade to #7 its alllright.

While doing so why not also reset all passwords, everywhere (as recommended by the tech firms due to Heartbleed Bug) sure its a great way to loose a few hours :)

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Press either Alt+v to evoke the 'view' drop down then tick toolbars. / Or Ctrl+F12.
    //Though I'm on v12. Alt combos are dandy and should fire up some menu options anyways (take note Apple inc.)

Older versions of opera were good for pulling cached files (using profile install and 400mb cache) jpg/swf/gifs/mp4/mp3 etc..

xp? - no longer supported by windies, why not upgrade to #7 its alllright.

While doing so why not also reset all passwords, everywhere (as recommended by the tech firms due to Heartbleed Bug) sure its a great way to loose a few hours :)

I was hoping Alt might bring up a hidden menu bar, but no joy.
    XP? Its only on a machine I just use for Folding@Home, no browsing etc.
    I remember grabbing flash videos from the cache a few years back, but I think it doesn't work now, not tried recently

just installed #20 for testing, after using #12 for longtimes (which is super).
    Can confirm #20 is useless, light, but useless. They've ripped out the mail client and made it a chrome-clone.

Actually also got hands on #8.54 which was the last good version to allow you to strip any and all out of cache (using profile install), sweet!, can now just pick up those native unencrypted swf/mp4/mp3's freeley from here: C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera854\profile\cache4

Summary sticking with #12 + use #8.54 for cache media lifts.
    No soup/fish(norway) for the deveteam that made v20!

• Advertisement
Advertisement