Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay power problems

Options
  • 14-03-2014 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had trouble with these people???i could write a book on the trouble they are giving me and thats just today!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can have a prepay option with other suppliers, but I presume this is the company you are referring to? http://prepaypower.ie/

What sort of problems are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

maybe if you gave an idea as to what sort of problems you are having then somebody may be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 45 djc123abc

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Has anyone had trouble with these people???i could write a book on the trouble they are giving me and thats just today!!!
    My Ma was considering changing to http://prepaypower.ie/ (assuming this is the company you're referring to). What problems have you been having with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

djc123abc wrote: »
    My Ma was considering changing to http://prepaypower.ie/ (assuming this is the company you're referring to). What problems have you been having with them?
    that's for the replies all of you,yes tht is the company in question,the problems are over charging,codes not working and being charged double the amount I asked for.

e.g buy 10 being charged 20 on transactions done via debit/credit card over the phone,the hassle of getting it rectified is incredible and they are very unhelpful,denying all wrong doing when challenged.

I now plan on moving back to the esb/electric Ireland.to any potential customers my advice in 3 words is very simple

AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Sincerely

a very p1ssed off individual

V.W.L 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

djc123abc wrote: »

The main "problem" with prepaypower and pinenergy is that they charge about €136 euro per year for the privilege of paying in what is in effect the modern equivalent of a coin meter.

Get you mother to visit Bonkers.ie

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thread moved.
    I think this is a better home for it.

I moved to them 3 months ago. Absolutely no problems no far.

There is the extra standing charge for using PrePower, however I've become much more conscious of my usage so that cancels it out.

I am spending the exact same on electricity as I was with Electric Ireland, except there's no big bills.

Paying in advance weekly suits me much better than a big bill every 2 months.

I'd recommend it, but obviously it wouldn't suit everyone's circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I moved to them 3 months ago. Absolutely no problems no far.

There is the extra standing charge for using PrePower, however I've become much more conscious of my usage so that cancels it out.

I am spending the exact same on electricity as I was with Electric Ireland, except there's no big bills.

Paying in advance weekly suits me much better than a big bill every 2 months.

I'd recommend it, but obviously it wouldn't suit everyone's circumstances.

If you are paying the same as when you were with Electric Ireland, that means you have reduced your consumption by approx €136 per annum.

Had you become conscious of your usage while with Electric Ireland, you would have an extra €136 at the end of the year, almost the same amount as an average TWO monthly bill!

The problem with Prepaypower and Pinenergy is their target consumer is probably the very people who have very low disposable incomes.

It would be better to put ~€20 a week into a piggy bank AND keep an eye on the meter every week. (Or maybe read the meter daily and every time 100 units have been used put approx €20 into the piggy bank, ready for the bill when it arrives)

If you are paying the same as when you were with Electric Ireland, that means you have reduced your consumption by approx €136 per annum.

Had you become conscious of your usage while with Electric Ireland, you would have an extra €136 at the end of the year, almost the same amount as an average TWO monthly bill!

The problem with Prepaypower and Pinenergy is their target consumer is probably the very people who have very low disposable incomes.

It would be better to put ~€20 a week into a piggy bank AND keep an eye on the meter every week. (Or maybe read the meter daily and every time 100 units have been used put approx €20 into the piggy bank, ready for the bill when it arrives)

I'm a student on a low income. If I run out of cash and there's €20 sitting in the apartment somewhere I'll end up spending it.

PrePay suits me for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that's for the replies all of you,yes tht is the company in question,the problems are over charging,codes not working and being charged double the amount I asked for.

e.g buy 10 being charged 20 on transactions done via debit/credit card over the phone,the hassle of getting it rectified is incredible and they are very unhelpful,denying all wrong doing when challenged.

I now plan on moving back to the esb/electric Ireland.to any potential customers my advice in 3 words is very simple

AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Sincerely

a very p1ssed off individual

V.W.L 11

Document everything!

Every time they overcharge and every call you have to make including any phone costs. If you try to leave now they will charge at lease €10 for each month left of the initial 12 month period plus a €50 early termination fee but you might get around this if you can show they are useless and without proper customer care.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Document everything!

Every time they overcharge and every call you have to make including any phone costs. If you try to leave now they will charge at lease €10 for each month left of the initial 12 month period plus a €50 early termination fee but you might get around this if you can show they are useless and without proper customer care.
    been with them 2 years now,so I can get out anytime,they told me that today,but the phone costs I have had to take the hit on them,i'll go back to E.I but as was advised to the O.P i'll be watching the meter like a hawk!they can offer me all the bonus credit they want,i'm heading for the hills :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

i'm sorting the switch once the credit in the meter is gone,you should chase them for that money,how do you find airtricity???did PPP remove the meter yet???i'll be insisting on that being removed as well,the faster I get them out of my life the better.

thanks for that :) i'll have to wait until Tuesday now to switch but it will be done,they can offer me as much as they want,i aint staying with them,apparently if you accept it they then have you bound to a new 12 month contract is it???not sure who I will switch to,EI is the first thing I think of but I know there are plenty of others out there.PPP's f**K up is someone else's gain

i look forward to the begging part,wont get them anywhere though.the customer service staff are very poor,the attitudes they have you'd think they were the only provider around,probably half of them are ex esb before the market was opened up:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

i look forward to the begging part,wont get them anywhere though.the customer service staff are very poor,the attitudes they have you'd think they were the only provider around,probably half of them are ex esb before the market was opened up:rolleyes:

There's actually no former ESB personnel there. The execs are from backgrounds in online insurance, hotel booking sites and the likes. Ex ESB are debarred from going to competitors for many years after leaving anyway, even if they did want to go the route of the prepay power model - why any would is beyond me anyway.

There's actually no former ESB personnel there. The execs are from backgrounds in online insurance, hotel booking sites and the likes. Ex ESB are debarred from going to competitors for many years after leaving anyway, even if they did want to go the route of the prepay power model - why any would is beyond me anyway.
    They carry on like idiots though,are you with them OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Of all the complaints I've heard about prepay power, I havent heard of anyone having an issue buying credit. Was it only over the phone?

Were they charging you twice for the €10 or you ask for €10, they charge you for €20, you only get €10 credit? No idea why this would happen,other than operator error.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Of all the complaints I've heard about prepay power, I havent heard of anyone having an issue buying credit. Was it only over the phone?

Were they charging you twice for the €10 or you ask for €10, they charge you for €20, you only get €10 credit? No idea why this would happen,other than operator error.

Yes it was over the phone,the hassle to get the money back was crazy,they wanted bank statements sent into them,debit card details,the lot!never again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They carry on like idiots though,are you with them OP?

Of course they do! But you said so and then said they were probably exESB staff for some reason. Just correcting your mistaken assumption. And no. I'm not with them in any sense of the word - nowhere near! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

These prepay meters are a joke pay more for electricity and pay up front! your best bet is electric ireland and an easypay card ,pay your bill weekly like you all ready do and you will be grand ,also best out there for dealing with when it comes to arrears.

Admldj wrote: »
    These prepay meters are a joke pay more for electricity and pay up front! your best bet is electric ireland and an easypay card ,pay your bill weekly like you all ready do and you will be grand ,also best out there for dealing with when it comes to arrears.

I plan the phone call and the switch for 9am this coming tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fimurcom

Am a PPP customer since Sept 13+ its the biggest mistake I made. First 2 months were ok €80-€90 but since November I have been putting in enough credit monthly to cover a 2 monthly bill with Electric Ireland ( my previous supplier). Nov- €130, Dec -€150, Jan -€140.Contacted PPP, spoke to customer service, JOKE, eventually realised that my meter was giving exact same kilowatt useage reading at exact same time every day i. e 8.97 kw @ 21.30 Every day. Despite numerous calls, my notes going missing, no record of calls, no record of complaint, only for the fact that I kept a record of When I rang, how long I was on the call+ who I spoke to finally in Mid - febuary an engineer came to change the meter+ reader. Yet even while he was talking to customer care, in front of me, while looking at meter+ reporting the problem, they denied all knowledge. Have new meter in+ only putting €20 a week in. Rang this morn to enquire about possible refund+ guess what, No knowledge of any Complaint or Fault. Was put on hold for 10 mins, call mysteriously cut off. Rang back+ new customer service rep told me that my file had been sent to head office !! :(. So my advice to any1 thinking of changing over, DO NOT DO IT.

Fimurcom wrote: »
    Am a PPP customer since Sept 13+ its the biggest mistake I made. First 2 months were ok €80-€90 but since November I have been putting in enough credit monthly to cover a 2 monthly bill with Electric Ireland ( my previous supplier). Nov- €130, Dec -€150, Jan -€140.Contacted PPP, spoke to customer service, JOKE, eventually realised that my meter was giving exact same kilowatt useage reading at exact same time every day i. e 8.97 kw @ 21.30 Every day. Despite numerous calls, my notes going missing, no record of calls, no record of complaint, only for the fact that I kept a record of When I rang, how long I was on the call+ who I spoke to finally in Mid - febuary an engineer came to change the meter+ reader. Yet even while he was talking to customer care, in front of me, while looking at meter+ reporting the problem, they denied all knowledge. Have new meter in+ only putting €20 a week in. Rang this morn to enquire about possible refund+ guess what, No knowledge of any Complaint or Fault. Was put on hold for 10 mins, call mysteriously cut off. Rang back+ new customer service rep told me that my file had been sent to head office !! :(. So my advice to any1 thinking of changing over, DO NOT DO IT.

I was pretty much and still am in the same position as yourself OP,need to clear my arrears with electric ireland once thats done the switch is complete,i strongly suggest you follow suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was pretty much and still am in the same position as yourself OP,need to clear my arrears with electric ireland once thats done the switch is complete,i strongly suggest you follow suit!

I'm not sure if a small claims case could help you, don't think do.

Do you get a bill too? Just to show usage if so its easy to work out if the meter is wrong.

If say send a letter by registered post detailing how much they have over charged you (if you can prove it) and tell them you will style your complaint for the amount needed to buy out your contract, and then leave.

the fact they replaced the meter for free sounds like they knew it was faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fimurcom

Have not received a bill+ maybe its just me but cannot seem to find anything on their online site to enable you to (a.) Look at your account, see how much useage you have had or how much credit you have entered into keypad. Every other energy company has a way to let you do this whether its a paper bill or on- line. (b.) Contact any other department other than customer support. Theres no link for lodging a complaint or being able to talk to anyone in a higher position. Rang again yesterday+ asked for a breakdown of credit entered on keypad since it was fitted. Agent gave me a total that was only €5 more that total i was given in early Feb.???? When questioned about this+ asked to give monthly totals, i was put on hold then cut off. Rang them again, different agent ( took name of 1st agent) , explained that i was cut of mid-call, only to be told that head office was dealing with complaint+ was out of their hands. 😟:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think it's time for a registered letter, to head office, entitled Official Complaint.

I'd also contact the Commission for Energy Regulation and ask for their guidance on how to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sorry cutting into this thread. Prepay phones were always more expensive than Bill Pay. The idea behind such services is to provide them to people who aren't major phone users but wanted an easy not committally form of using the service. That is really the only benefit. Though non-committal aspect was never really that true.

I always assumed the same for prepay Electricity/Gas. The benefit your aware your electricity will run out and you might save by cutting down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement