Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time in Dublin - Paddy's Day!

Options
  • 14-03-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to Dublin this weekend with a few friends....i can completely understand that this is probably one of the busiest weekends in the entire year..so everywhere will be jammers out!

I'm looking for some ideas/recommendations on which is the best place/location to view the parade on Monday? Someone suggested to me that a Bar with a Balcony on O'Connell St. would be the ideal area....

Parade starts at 12pm (i think) so how soon should i start making our way into the City centre? We will be coming from just off Harcourt St.

Looking forward to having the craic with ye Dubs this weekend :pac::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ain't no bars with balconies on O'Connell St.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you will need to be there around 9.30 - 10 to get a good viewing spot, which you will lose by 12pm ffrom people pushing .

McDonalds on O'Connell Street have upstairs windows. tbh i would stay in and watch it on the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭despot

Please don't judge us all on what you see on Paddys day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Yeah, i'd go for watching it on the telly too, no kids dribbling on your head from their daddies shoulders. Unless you have money or contacts, there is nowhere relaxing to observe it from. Comfort wins out every time for me OP. And watch your pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Thanks guys for all the info!

Awe....i don't really want to me stuck in watching it on TV!!! i much prefer to go and experience the atmosphere of it all ;)

Looks like i'll have to try and get up that little bit earlier on Monday just to get a good viewing spot!

Should be fun nevertheless :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Check the route of the parade, it usually ends near St. Patrick's Cathedral and will take forever to get there (if ye want a bit of a lie on :D)

Lots of other things on too for the weekend, check some things out here: http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

The Parade starts from Parnell Square around 12 so it will take a while to reach St. Patricks Cathedral. Most people arrive around 10ish, a bit later towards the end of the route but the good viewing points will fill quickly.

Personally I like the spot near Kinlay House Hostel as the parade moves slightly uphill and you get some nice pics. Avoid O'Connell Bridge, if it's a breezy day you be freezing. I used to volunteer on the Parade and seen some scary scences on O'Connell Bridge.

But it's a good day out, lots of people putting a lot of time and effort into the floats, volunteers creating amazing displays and that deserves to be seen and enjoyed and if it's a sunny day it's much better than sitting in and watching it on the telly.

Also check out the festival progam, treasure hunt is not only for kids and the Big Ceili is on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If you get down early enough, and I mean, before they open because there'll be a queue to get in - JW Sweetman's on O'Connell Bridge (ish) have upstairs windows looking out on to O'Connell Bridge. That would be ideal, but like I say, you'd need to be there bloody early.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Well lads...thanks for all the replies ...had an amazing time in Dublin and even got to view the parade at a good spot on Dame St. I've never seen so many Paddys in Templebar!!! I'll have to make this trip up again for next year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ah here things are only getting started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

GET OUT WHILST YOU CAN

*joke*

Advertisement