Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog attack in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I hate to think what would have happened if she had approached a stranger in a car with candy with the same enthusiasm as she approached a clearly, even by her explaining, distressed and uncomfortable dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 footstool

The moment I read this, I knew straight away that the child must of done something to get the dog to attack her, and sure enough I was right! The child continued to rub the dog after he growled (a sure warning that the dog was not happy with this contact). And the mother declaring she did nothing wrong?! Erm, yes she did!!! She didnt heed to the dog's warning and as a result got a nasty bite (clawed) by the animal.
    PEOPLE TEACH YOUR CHILDREN THE SAFETY AND DANGERS OF STRANGE DOGS!!
    I go around to schools to teach young children how to know when a dog wants to be friends or not. All animals ALWAYS give warning before they attack because the last thing they want to do is waste energy on attacking. FIGHT OR FLIGHT PEOPLE!!!
    Hopefully this artical when open the eye of parents, teachers and children of any age to be more aware of the warning dogs give!
    Doesnt matter if she loves animals and has no intention in hurting it, animals dont understand that! This accident could of very easily been avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

footstool wrote: »
    Hopefully this artical when open the eye of parents, teachers and children of any age to be more aware of the warning dogs give!
    TBH I doubt it people will learn anything from it other than to be judgmental and see big dogs as "dangerous". I think the people who understand that dogs give warning signs already know this.
    I tried to have this conversation with someone earlier and there was no listening to anything that suggested that the actions of the child may have instigated the act.

Personally I think the crux of the matter is that
    the dog shouldn't have been out alone
    the dog shouldn't have bitten
    But also I think that a child that young shouldn't have been out alone.
    And that once the dog growled the child shouldn't have tried to go near it again.
    I think this is the part people have the biggest issue because regardless of whether there is a logic in it, to agree places blame on the child and people feel uncomfortable blaming a small child for an incident that has already scarred them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

TBH I doubt it people will learn anything from it other than to be judgmental and see big dogs as "dangerous". I think the people who understand that dogs give warning signs already know this.
    I tried to have this conversation with someone earlier and there was no listening to anything that suggested that the actions of the child may have instigated the act.

Personally I think the crux of the matter is that
    the dog shouldn't have been out alone
    the dog shouldn't have bitten
    But also I think that a child that young shouldn't have been out alone.
    And that once the dog growled the child shouldn't have tried to go near it again.
    I think this is the part people have the biggest issue because regardless of whether there is a logic in it, to agree places blame on the child and people feel uncomfortable blaming a small child for an incident that has already scarred them.

The bit in bold is what really annoys me. It's that "children can do no wrong" mentality. It's a shift in parenting values from when I was a kid that has me completely frustrated, and makes me sound like such a crotchety old fuddy duddy! (and I'm really not!)

I remember getting given out hell to for antagonising the various family dogs we had as a kid, I remember my neighbour giving out to me because I dangled over her wall and was trying to play with her dog, a small white thing, that was so much prettier than our mongrel at home, and she was right to. Nowadays the parents would march around to said neighbour and read them the riot act for daring to speak to their little darling in such a manner. Threatening the law and all sorts, while the 'innocent' child is fussed over and told they're not to blame for anything. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The bit in bold is what really annoys me. It's that "children can do no wrong" mentality. It's a shift in parenting values from when I was a kid that has me completely frustrated, and makes me sound like such a crotchety old fuddy duddy! (and I'm really not!)

I remember getting given out hell to for antagonising the various family dogs we had as a kid, I remember my neighbour giving out to me because I dangled over her wall and was trying to play with her dog, a small white thing, that was so much prettier than our mongrel at home, and she was right to. Nowadays the parents would march around to said neighbour and read them the riot act for daring to speak to their little darling in such a manner. Threatening the law and all sorts, while the 'innocent' child is fussed over and told they're not to blame for anything. :mad:

I was the same, got a serious telling off and a grounding for trying to mediate a fight between a collie and my neighbour's lab when I was 6. I got a latch on the arm (was wearing one of those really puffy padded coats that were all the rage in the early 90s) and was extremely badly bruised and bleeding slightly, but only for the coat I reckon I would have needed surgery at the least. MY neighbour was totally distraught about what had happened and my mum and dad made it 100% perfectly clear that it was my own fault I had been bitten and that doggies have much bigger teeth than we have and don't speak the same language, so we shouldn't annoy them when they are angry. I learned a lot that day (although to my utter distress the lab was put to sleep despite my pleas and apologies) and have never developed a fear of dogs of any size as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

borderline - it annoys me to, especially for minor bites/incidents (no skin breaks no blood etc). I see with my own niece/nephew that if they complain for being bitten the first question is what did you do to annoy the dog - don't do that.

However, I think in cases like this one, no one is going to (openly) blame the child because the damage is significant. The problem with that is that this means that there isn't questioned asked ( in the general media) about the role of the child and her parents in particular in this incident.

Advertisement