Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student-Home Ec at St. Angelas

Options
  • 14-03-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on the B Ed course in St Angela's in Home Ec. I'm a mature student and have heard that the course is very intense hours wise, I'm wondering if this eases off after the first year at all? Also is the teaching practice scheduled for a significant part of the year (as I'll be travelling up and down from Mayo I just want to get an idea of how many months of the year I'll be going up and down to Sligo.) Also are the job prospects in any way optimistic at the minute for this line of work?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

mumo4 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on the B Ed course in St Angela's in Home Ec. I'm a mature student and have heard that the course is very intense hours wise, I'm wondering if this eases off after the first year at all? Also is the teaching practice scheduled for a significant part of the year (as I'll be travelling up and down from Mayo I just want to get an idea of how many months of the year I'll be going up and down to Sligo.) Also are the job prospects in any way optimistic at the minute for this line of work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
    I'm currently in first year of the programme, you're right in saying the course is intense, we're basically in college 9-5 every day with an odd hour off. As far I know it doesn't ease off after first year. We're currently on teaching practice, next week is our last week and we've already been out for 2 weeks, it's usually sechualed around this time every year. With regards going up and down to Sligo we have the October mid term off, 3 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks at Easter. The job prospects are good and hopefully they'll stay like that! If it's something you really want to do go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mumo4

Thanks for your reply, its nice to hear someone with a bit of optimism for the future job prospects of teaching! Is there any mature students on the course in your year? I know they don't allocate too many places but just wondering if there would be one or two of us if I did get a place! Best of luck with your studies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Coughlans

mumo4 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, its nice to hear someone with a bit of optimism for the future job prospects of teaching! Is there any mature students on the course in your year? I know they don't allocate too many places but just wondering if there would be one or two of us if I did get a place! Best of luck with your studies :)

Ya there's 3 mature students in my year, 2 of them got in my interview and one through the access course. Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlemrs

Coughlans wrote: »
    Ya there's 3 mature students in my year, 2 of them got in my interview and one through the access course. Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

I did interview for the b. Ed last week so just waiting to hear...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlemrs

littlemrs wrote: »
    I did interview for the b. Ed last week so just waiting to hear...

Anyone know if the wait is long before you know if you are successful at interview???

• Advertisement
Advertisement