Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coconut oil

• 14-03-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi guys

I've been reading how benefifical coconut oil is, both for cooking and for your skin / hair.

Anyone know where is Dublin city centre I might get this cheap? Seems to be the best part of €20 is health food shops (but the jar is quite large).

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

Tigerton wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've been reading how benefifical coconut oil is, both for cooking and for your skin / hair.

Anyone know where is Dublin city centre I might get this cheap? Seems to be the best part of €20 is health food shops (but the jar is quite large).

Thanks in advance :)

Dunnes stock Cocowell brand. It's 500ml, I believe, and costs €7 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

You will pick it up cheaper in the aisan stores, some around Mary street have good stock of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

thanks guys. il have a look after work today. il be damned before i pay €20 for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's Asia Market on Drury St, Oriental Emporium at the Jervis Luas stop and up in Rathmines as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

I got a 500ml tub for 3 euro in the asian supermarket! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Isnt the method of extraction important though... Many of the cheaper brands are extracted under very high heats which affects the oil.
    I might be wrong but something worth researching.

I use it here for brushing my teeth but nothing else..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

bbam wrote: »
    Isnt the method of extraction important though... Many of the cheaper brands are extracted under very high heats which affects the oil.
    I might be wrong but something worth researching.

I use it here for brushing my teeth but nothing else..

Brushing your teeth?! :eek: How?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bbam wrote: »
    with a toothbrush :o

it's crazy but maybe it's just crazy enough to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

From what I understand, it needs to be cold pressed, the Cocowell brand seems to fit the bill, I use it for frying food mostly. It's solid at room temp.

• Advertisement

it's crazy but maybe it's just crazy enough to work

I've not given up on conventional toothpaste, regular in the morning and coconut oil at night... I will say that my gums are softer and feel healthier since starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

thanks for this guys. i got 500g for €3.60 in the asian market on abbey street. if i get on well with this one i dont mind paying a bit for for cold pressed / virgin coconut oil. i just didnt want to spend lots on something i wasnt sure if i would use.
    tried it in a stir fry, its great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

johnmryan wrote: »
    From what I understand, it needs to be cold pressed,
    This is what all the places that only sell cold pressed will certainly tell you, otherwise its up for debate, and not just by sellers of non-cold pressed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rubadub wrote: »
    This is what all the places that only sell cold pressed will certainly tell you, otherwise its up for debate, and not just by sellers of non-cold pressed.

Absolutely, coconut oil is the one oil that you don't need to mind too much how refined it is. There's no massive advantage to 'virgin' coconut oil. In fact I prefer the more refined stuff, less coconut taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Stupid question but does cocowell give food the overwhelmingly coconut taste?

I want to use healthier oils to cook with but don't want all my food to taste completely of coconut either!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I absolutely hate the taste and smell of coconut but have been using coconut oil lately for cooking and I don't notice any difference in taste anyway!

whitewave wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the taste and smell of coconut but have been using coconut oil lately for cooking and I don't notice any difference in taste anyway!

what brand is this though, the virgin/pressed ones usually have more smell taste. Some of my nonvirgin ones have more taste than others

whitewave wrote: »

Thanks! What brand are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

The Cocowel brand is tasteless and odourless. You'll pick it up in asian shops and Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

yeah, agree to that. Cocowel brand has very very mild hint of coconut flavor that goes unnoticeable in cooking. I'm using Nutiva brand at the moment and it's so much more "coconutier" than Cocowel but it's still not overpowering the taste of my meals. I love coconut flavor anyways and sometimes I eat coconut oil straight from the jar, deeelish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I'm using the cocowel one too, got it in Dunnes for about a fiver I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I'm using the Biona Organic Coconut Oil - Cuisine - mild and odourless, in a large jar. Got it in a health food store and it wasn't cheap. However, as noone else in the household likes the taste of coconut, it's ideal for cooking and a little goes a long way.

If you're getting the odourless stuff, you really do need to read up on the processing method, as it could do you more harm than good!

iora_rua wrote: »
    If you're getting the odourless stuff, you really do need to read up on the processing method, as it could do you more harm than good!
    Lots is bogus info. I was in well known supermarket and they had a sign up, like it was printed by themselves rather than a company. It was directly saying that if the oil was not virgin coconut oil that it would have trans fats and was hydrogenated.

I have never come across any hydrogenated coconut oil or oil with trans fats on sale here, or on any shops I found online.

If anybody has actually found some then please let us know.

KTC and "double horse brand" are not hydrogenated and have no trans fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 c0w3jz6eia8h9n

Lots is bogus info. I was in well known supermarket and they had a sign up, like it was printed by themselves rather than a company. It was directly saying that if the oil was not virgin coconut oil that it would have trans fats and was hydrogenated.

I have never come across any hydrogenated coconut oil or oil with trans fats on sale here, or on any shops I found online.

If anybody has actually found some then please let us know.

KTC and "double horse brand" are not hydrogenated and have no trans fats.

I just picked up some Tiana coconut butter, as opposed to coconut oil, in Holland and Barrett.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4622&prodid=5514&cid=182

It costs less than their extra virgin version and it also is said to have less of a coconut taste to it so may be better than the oil for cooking.

Just wondering is there any difference at all in the oil and the butter from a nutritional standpoint when using for cooking?

Just wondering is there any difference at all in the oil and the butter from a nutritional standpoint when using for cooking?
    This just looks like its normal coconut oil with a tiny bit of hemp oil in it.

http://nouveauraw.com/special-raw-ingredients/coconut-oil-vs-coconut-butter/
    What is the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter?

Coconut oil is JUST the oil that is extracted from the meat.
    Coconut butter is the whole meat of the coconut pureed into a creamy butter.
    Coconut meat (by nature) is approximately 65% oil.
    The "butter" in your link is 100% fat so is not what is suggested above.

This just looks like its normal coconut oil with a tiny bit of hemp oil in it.

http://nouveauraw.com/special-raw-ingredients/coconut-oil-vs-coconut-butter/

The "butter" in your link is 100% fat so is not what is suggested above.

Thanks.
    Ah, I see that now in the ingredients. 100g fat/100g.

So more or less the same then, would the hemp oil affect it in any negative way at all at high temperatures?

Its only 0.6% hemp so I would not be worried.

Organic Coconut Butter (99.4%), Organic High Omega 3 Hempseed Oil.

I wonder why they bother adding it, at first I thought it might have been a cheap filler. Or to make it more spreadable like why some people will add oil to peanut butter. Seems it might be just a gimmick to separate it from the others and might sway them to buy it over a regular coconut oil. Some people want to up their omega 3 and might miss the fact its only 0.6%

Its only 0.6% hemp so I would not be worried.

Organic Coconut Butter (99.4%), Organic High Omega 3 Hempseed Oil.

I wonder why they bother adding it, at first I thought it might have been a cheap filler. Or to make it more spreadable like why some people will add oil to peanut butter. Seems it might be just a gimmick to separate it from the others and might sway them to buy it over a regular coconut oil. Some people want to up their omega 3 and might miss the fact its only 0.6%

Good stuff, thanks for the help. Think I'll hold onto it then.
    Was debating leaving it back as it was a spur of the moment impulse to buy instead of the coconut oil which I normally buy.

Hi,

I got some cocowel in Dunnes. Was just wondering how much oil should be used in making a stir fry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 overfinch

FYI re coconut oil, I just bought 2 x 500ml jars of organic coconut oil in Health Matters on Bray main street. Its on special offer at the moment and its less than 10 euro a jar. 22 euro in most other shops I checked.

overfinch wrote: »
    Its on special offer at the moment and its less than 10 euro a jar. 22 euro in most other shops I checked.
    Dunnes & supervalu would be cheaper and its virgin oil in them too (which I know yours is too).

Many health shops are chancers on stuff like this. They probably had to drop the price since the supermarkets have started stocking it.

Advertisement