Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use any of these ?

Options
  • 14-03-2014 3:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

Getting my veg in Moore St this morning and had a gawk into FX Buckleys Butchers and all very cheap in the window,
    Full Pigs Head just looking at me ! 5 euro, Skinned Rabbit 8.99, Pigs feet 2.99 kg, Tripe, 2.99 kg, Cows tongue etc ? I am sure they sell the above or they would not bother putting them in the window. How would one use this very cheap source of meat ? Just curious if anyone uses any of the above ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

finix wrote: »
    Getting my veg in Moore St this morning and had a gawk into FX Buckleys Butchers and all very cheap in the window,
    Full Pigs Head just looking at me ! 5 euro, Skinned Rabbit 8.99, Pigs feet 2.99 kg, Tripe, 2.99 kg, Cows tongue etc ? I am sure they sell the above or they would not bother putting them in the window. How would one use this very cheap source of meat ? Just curious if anyone uses any of the above ?

There's a fantastic cut in the pig's head of the cheek, slow braised in madera and stock with a sweated down mire poix and you've one of the best dishes around. (I've attached a pic of the cut I mean off the jowl of the head)
    Google Rabbit with creme fraiche, wholegrain mustard, and sage. One of the finest classic french dishes around. Basically you can treat rabbit like chicken but it's very very lean and will go dry in an instant.
    that's my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Got rabbit a few times. Bought the pig's feet once. I tried to smoke them over a low heat. Got about 5 scraps of meat off them, tasty like smoky bacon, but was completely the wrong way to cook them it seems.

With the trotters and head, you simmer for ages and then pick off the meat for further use, plus the stock left behind will be very rich in gelatine and porky goodness.

They also do goat there (use like lamb) and you can get very cheap cuts of pork/lamb such as belly/breast and shoulder. Delicious and now I'm hungry thinking about it !!

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

duploelabs wrote: »
    There's a fantastic cut in the pig's head of the cheek, slow braised in madera and stock with a sweated down mire poix and you've one of the best dishes around.

Hi,

Would this work well with regular loin of pork also? Sounds really good.

Loire.

ps: how much madeira would you add? L.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

Would this work well with regular loin of pork also? Sounds really good.

Loire.

ps: how much madeira would you add? L.

Not really for Lion as it's too lean and not enough connective tissue, shoulder would work.
    You need to season flour the meat, brown it off, deglaze with a bit of your madera, then sweat down your mire poix until soft with a bay, add your meat back in, 50% stock/madera to just cover the meat and bring to the boil, then covered a long time in a low oven (about 140 for around 3 or so hours) and take off the lid for another 30 mins and whack it up to 190 to reduce the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Ox tongue and lamb's tongue are both delicious and super cheap. They're lovely brined and then slowly cooked with carrots, onion, thyme, leek celery etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement