Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgruntled Garda Reserve member

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

standtwo wrote: »
    I don't think that's completely fair I mean for most people working a 5 day week they have 2 days off a week. If you have kids, collage or other commitments it can be very difficult to find time.

I understand it can be difficult but there currently 1300 reserves who do make the time and some put a lot more than the 208 hours. The regulations say you can put in a minimum of 4 hours to 8 hours so a number of reserves split their shifts or do a ten hour shift. For most it's about spending your time wisely. it is manageable and very rewarding

Well said! I'm in my final year of a 4 year degree which really does take work 9am to 5/6pm each day and then work 20 hours at the weekend. It's nearly comically to hear you say 21 days is not a lot of time if you really wanted it. That's all of a full-time workers annual leave and in fact I'd say you're hard pressed these days to find any sort of high pressure job that gives three weeks holiday? I do have genuine sympathy for reserves that didn't get through yet but it's quite annoying to see people say that they should have special places set aside for reserves.

There are a number of reserves who are full time students and manage the time. Your opinion is valid but some are willing to make the sacrifice. Membership dles take commitment. The application process, the long wait, the testing and interviews, the background checks, the medical. Then the training, weekends and s full two weeks in Templemore, operational training, refresher courses. It is not an easy task for some I would admit but it is achievable.

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I didn't expect a free pass or a handy pass through but the reality is that I'm not willing to wait around doing it for another 4 years until the next recruitment drive and then maybe get an interview. There is no incentive to be a Reserve at the moment.

That may change in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Raider190 wrote: »
    That may change in the future.

I doubt it..

well maybe when they start to recruit in bigger numbers but no while this limited recruitment is ongoing..

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

When do ye see them recruiting again lads? The only solace I can take from not getting through is that I will get another chance and that if I do get an interview I will still have my 2 years as a reserve to talk about

When do ye see them recruiting again lads? The only solace I can take from not getting through is that I will get another chance and that if I do get an interview I will still have my 2 years as a reserve to talk about

They'll need huge number of new staff eventually.

I won't even guess when they'll recruit again but don't be suprised if it's in another 5 years :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What ranking were you after stage 2?
    I don't see why your losing all hope yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I didn't expect a free pass or a handy pass through but the reality is that I'm not willing to wait around doing it for another 4 years until the next recruitment drive and then maybe get an interview. There is no incentive to be a Reserve at the moment.

Aren't you motivated by the spirit of volunteerism and being able to contribute to the community?

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Aren't you motivated by the spirit of volunteerism and being able to contribute to the community?

Typically the poster is at a low ebb and you offer sacastic comments. More positive comments would help

• Advertisement

Exactly that's the spirit . Never lose heart. If you keep trying it will happen.

Typically the poster is at a low ebb and you offer sacastic comments. More positive comments would help
    Well all the other wannabees claim the spirit of volunteering and helping the community as their motivation so why not him?
    Unless of course their ulterior motive is to get a handy run in to the full time job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Well all the other wannabees claim the spirit of volunteering and helping the community as their motivation so why not him?
    Unless of course their ulterior motive is to get a handy run in to the full time job

I think its more like recognition for a job well done. And spending 208 hours a year (practically for free) walking around the streets in the freezing cold while everyone else is sleeping can hardly be considered 'handy'.

Jeez this whole 'reserves v non-reserves', 'reserves v full-time', reserves v the panel', 'reserves v other volunteers' crap that is all over this forum has been done to death & its breaking my metaphorical balls!

Zadie10 wrote: »
    I think its more like recognition for a job well done. And spending 208 hours a year (practically for free) walking around the streets in the freezing cold while everyone else is sleeping can hardly be considered 'handy'.

Jeez this whole 'reserves v non-reserves', 'reserves v full-time', reserves v the panel', 'reserves v other volunteers' crap that is all over this forum has been done to death & its breaking my metaphorical balls!

Zadie it's not a reserve against the regular thing.It's cruz against the reserve. Never a good word for us, takes a dig whenever possible . Beginning to think he or she applied and failed to get in.
    Am sure such a nay sayer is negative about most things in life but I would ignore the negativity and go back to topic

Zadie it's not a reserve against the regular thing.It's cruz against the reserve. Never a good word for us, takes a dig whenever possible . Beginning to think he or she applied and failed to get in.
    Am sure such a nay sayer is negative about most things in life but I would ignore the negativity and go back to topic

Sorry for not accepting your high and mighty belief in the Reserves. We have seen plenty evidence now why most people joined the Reserves. When it didn't work out for them their attitude changes very quickly.

Sorry for not accepting your high and mighty belief in the Reserves. We have seen plenty evidence now why most people joined the Reserves. When it didn't work out for them their attitude changes very quickly.

That is your opinion but as you have just proved you still have no concept of what the reserve is , does or the parameters we operate within.If high and mighty belief is based on experience and qualified knowledge then fine. As for evidence ,is this based on the posts of say 20 posters against 1300 reserves. I am confident you will see no mass exit from the reserve due to disappointment in not getting the full time. The initial shock will be there but remember all reserves have worked hard to join AGS and will not throw that away lightly so make as many negative comments as you like. At the end of the day there are 1300 men and women who will continue to prove you wrong on a daily basis and contribute to the safety of their communities and the state. And just a point to note............. you live in one of those communities.

• Advertisement

That is your opinion but as you have just proved you still have no concept of what the reserve is , does or the parameters we operate within.If high and mighty belief is based on experience and qualified knowledge then fine. As for evidence ,is this based on the posts of say 20 posters against 1300 reserves. I am confident you will see no mass exit from the reserve due to disappointment in not getting the full time. The initial shock will be there but remember all reserves have worked hard to join AGS and will not throw that away lightly so make as many negative comments as you like. At the end of the day there are 1300 men and women who will continue to prove you wrong on a daily basis and contribute to the safety of their communities and the state. And just a point to note............. you live in one of those communities.

Waiting for the next recruitment drive is gonna be tough for reserves that didn't even pass the first stages.

I personally think many will decided to leave. If it was me, I'd leave and probably get involved in something else. The service I would have done with the reserves would still stand to me in future campaigns anyway.

carzony wrote: »
    Waiting for the next recruitment drive is gonna be tough for reserves that didn't even pass the first stages.

I personally think many will decided to leave. If it was me, I'd leave and probably get involved in something else. The service I would have done with the reserves would still stand to me in future campaigns anyway.

No doubt it will be tough but let's say as a reserve you are so disappointed that you resign and then sometime in the future the landscape for currently serving reserve changes dramatically . Something to think about , things change , minister come and go , commissioners retire. The reserve is changing and who knows what will happen in the next say two years. So my advice for any disappointed serving reserves is do not make any rash decisions , hold , wait and see. You have put a hell of amount of work getting in and continue to contribute on a regular basis , stay with it. Better to be in the service than not if you are determined to pursue policing as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

They gave a fair aptitude test to get what they saw the most suitable candidates into an interview process first. They believe that these people deserve the first go at an interview and rightly so they were the best at the exam put down. Why should a reserve go ahead of anyone, fair play to ye ye gave up time to volunteer, ye get recognition do ye not? There's no way in hell a reserve should get a bye or first preference, if you're good enough you'll get in.

surely people who want to be full time and joined the reserve, did so thinking that their time would stand to them when they applied for full time?

and im sure it will stand to them, should they get through to interview level. if they dont get that far, its kind of tough really.
    but thats life isnt it?

reserves do deserve credit, but not before everyone gets an even levelled chance to get in.

everyone does an exam ( or two, dunno how this works anymore ) reserves that get through have a very good chance id imagine.
    but you cannot expect a sail through straight to interview just because your in the reserve!

bubblypop wrote: »
    you cannot expect a sail through straight to interview just because your in the reserve!

I don't think any expect to 'sail through' but a modicum of recognition would be nice, as is seen in the UK forces.

• Advertisement

surely people who want to be full time and joined the reserve, did so thinking that their time would stand to them when they applied for full time?

and im sure it will stand to them, should they get through to interview level. if they dont get that far, its kind of tough really.
    but thats life isnt it?

reserves do deserve credit, but not before everyone gets an even levelled chance to get in.

everyone does an exam ( or two, dunno how this works anymore ) reserves that get through have a very good chance id imagine.
    but you cannot expect a sail through straight to interview just because your in the reserve!
    Interviews stage is where any good reserve will shine. The experience will be of great benefit .

I don't think any expect to 'sail through' but a modicum of recognition would be nice, as is seen in the UK forces.

but thats not equal then.
    that discriminates against people who could not for whatever reason join the reserves.

im sure reserves would get a lot of recognition at interview level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Alan Shatter 12th March 2014
    The Admission and Appointment Regulations provide that, as part of the competitive selection process organised by the Public Appointments Service for full-time membership of An Garda Síochána, "due recognition to any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member" shall be given to such candidates. This provision was introduced in order to acknowledge the beneficial experience and skills gained by a reserve member and to allow them, at assessments and at interview, the opportunity to highlight that experience and skill. It is important that all persons wishing to join the full time force undergo the same competitive selection and recruitment process. In doing so the integrity of the process is maintained at all stages of the competition.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-03-12a.384&s=garda+section%3Awrans

Exactly raider, and if they get to the interview stage best of luck to them. But recognition? Is it written anywhere that when you joined the reserves you'll get preference? It's Garda reserves not garda apprentices. As was previously stated many people wouldn't have time to be a reserve, but if they get a full position it's because they are the best candidate.

that discriminates against people who could not for whatever reason join the reserves.

The interview process for any job is never equal.The most qualified candidate always gets the job whether that is academic qualifications or based on previous experience. I am sure that a large number of civilians will receive offers but I am also sure that their will be a number of reserves who will be offered places also

But in any job you go for, relevant experience is advantageous, and its about what serves the organisation best.

I'm sure they will have a lot of recognition at that stage, but its a pity a lot haven't even made it that far!

The interview process for any job is never equal.The most qualified candidate always gets the job whether that is academic qualifications or based on previous experience. I am sure that a large number of civilians will receive offers but I am also sure that their will be a number of reserves who will be offered places also

the exam stage is equal, everyone applies, they take the top whatever candidates....

the interview stage is different obviously, reserves previous experience would stand to them in interview.

Lads get real here, they've taken the best people on the grounds of their results so far, do ye believe that a reserve is that far ahead of a non reserve? They want potential Guards, which is what a reserve and civilian are.

hopeful8 wrote: »
    Lads get real here, they've taken the best people on the grounds of their results so far, do ye believe that a reserve is that far ahead of a non reserve? They want potential Guards, which is what a reserve and civilian are.

The end results will tell. It will be the best at interview and some will have an advantage and some won't simple as. Whether that's a civilian or a reserve time will tell. A full time colleague who was a reserve told me that his interview was 75% based on his reserve experience. Now that was the last campaign ,things may be different this time

I'm sure any reserve that gets an interview will be successful as long as they're in good physical shape. Is there many reserves in the top 600?

• Advertisement

I'm sure any reserve that gets an interview will be successful as long as they're in good physical shape. Is there many reserves in the top 600?

I know of 14 from my phase who are at stage 3 and two are in the top 10 .am sure there may be many more. In saying that no one knows what will happen this week .

How many of the 1300 would be eligible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

How many of the 1300 would be Ineligible?

-Those that are over the age of 35
    -Those that have a bmi of more than 30
    -Those that are not 'of good character' (and believe me there are a couple

So it's kind of a how long is piece of string question

You reckon there's a few bad eggs there? Iv met a few I'd say wouldn't be suitable, some very good ones too. Maybe 50/50 in my experience.

How many of the 1300 would be eligible?

Don't have a clue . The age demographic is wide from 18 to 60. Let's say 50% are within the age requirement 18 to 35 . That's 750 reserves who may have applied. If you cut that down by another 50% because they couldn't afford the drop in pay.. Then your looking at a possible 300 plus who have applied. . How many of that number will get through , who knows. The last campaign produced I think about 42 reserves who went on to become full time.

D Trent wrote: »
    -Those that are over the age of 35
    -Those that have a bmi of more than 30
    -Those that are not 'of good character' (and believe me there are a couple

So it's kind of a how long is piece of string question

Agree with the first two points but the third. How could a reserve member not be of good character ...don't quite get that one??

You reckon there's a few bad eggs there? Iv met a few I'd say wouldn't be suitable, some very good ones too. Maybe 50/50 in my experience.[/

Have to say in my experience I have never met any reserve who are eligible who would not be suitable

You reckon there's a few bad eggs there? Iv met a few I'd say wouldn't be suitable, some very good ones too. Maybe 50/50 in my experience.[/

Have to say in my experience I have never met any reserve who are eligible who would not be suitable

I'm taking into account interaction with the public, physical condition, attitude towards people and some of questionable character, definitely 50/50

But in any job you go for, relevant experience is advantageous, and its about what serves the organisation best.

I'm sure they will have a lot of recognition at that stage, but its a pity a lot haven't even made it that far!

Didn't make it that far because they weren't as intelligent as the people that passed the exam....
    Seems fair enough.

• Advertisement

Didn't make it that far because they weren't as intelligent as the people that passed the exam....
    Seems fair enough.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

Applicant myself and not a GR member but I feel their pain at being left out because of one or two aptitude tests. They asked in the application if you were a GR member or not so perhaps some type of weighting system could have been applied to the tests so any GR member who was in top 12,000 could have been awarded some sort of extra marks...
    I agree that certain reserves wouldn't make a suitable Garda for one reason or another but keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Seems fair enough.

One or two Online tests, unsupervised.... A very harsh comment in my opinion, somewhat degrading!! Do you know the stresses that people go through in life, other things that were going on in their lives at the time of doing the exam that may have impacted them at the time of the initial test ?? No you do not, so to state that they applicants were not intelligent enough I think is false.

All the best with the process

But they are the best suited going forward, they were the best in the exams provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

But they are the best suited going forward, they were the best in the exams provided.

Hold on, can you prove that they are the best of the best on the ground candidates. No you cannot, these were unsupervised tests.

I think an admin should just call all these sub forums - "swings and roundabouts"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Seems fair enough.

Not necessarily the case,I personally perform much better when i physically have something in front of me ! I have passed a rigorous aptitude test on paper for the PSNI and have advanced through the stages where i am currently waiting on results!

Essentially you are saying, I lack intelligence to be a member of An Garda Síochana, yet somehow am intelligent enough to be a PSNI officer and carry a firearm.

Strange !

• Advertisement

mycro89 wrote: »
    Hold on, can you prove that they are the best of the best on the ground candidates. No you cannot, these were unsupervised tests.

I think an admin should just call all these sub forums - "swings and roundabouts"

No, as was stated already, they picked set of exams that would stream the people who performed best into an interview room first. The best 600 at these tests are first up. They're first up because they were the best, it's simple. If they're not suitable from now on they'll go to the group next in line, it's a simple logical format. I haven't commented on this site in years, I'm reading as a relative applied, and is in stage three. All I get from this is reserves calling themselves disgruntled. They have no grounds to be disgruntled, ye weren't good enough in the exams provided, or not as good as others in that department.

Well they had to reduce the numbers somehow.

There has always been some sort of exam done first.
    Would you suggest they interview everyone?

Seems fair enough.

When my other half joined a few years ago, he was told by the woman who prepped him for the interview that they are looking for people of average intelligence in the job - they are the ones who display the most job satisfaction & stay the longest.

I'm not sure why that criteria would suddenly change and now they only want the 'smartest'. After all, the job hasn't changed!! Its simply a way for them to cut the numbers quickly & cheaply.

I think there should have been a separate stream for reserves, as is the case now with Irish speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

standtwo wrote: »
    I don't think that's completely fair I mean for most people working a 5 day week they have 2 days off a week. If you have kids, collage or other commitments it can be very difficult to find time.

I dont find it difficult at all .

its easy to find time to do things you enjoy - i make time

When my other half joined a few years ago, he was told by the woman who prepped him for the interview that they are looking for people of average intelligence in the job - they are the ones who display the most job satisfaction & stay the longest.

I'm not sure why that criteria would suddenly change and now they only want the 'smartest'. After all, the job hasn't changed!! Its simply a way for them to cut the numbers quickly & cheaply.

I think there should have been a separate stream for reserves, as is the case now with Irish speakers.

Are you serious? Are you a reserve by any chance?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement