Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgruntled Garda Reserve member

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Raider190 wrote: »
    Why would I ever to be inclined to do that. You have no interest apart from taking potshots and making snide comments at a well meaning and committed group of men and women who do their best for this country and it's citizens.
    Given your previous posts I don't think one such as yourself will ever understand what motivates us and pushes any member of AGS to do the ex ordinary job we do. We all take an oath when we are attested and part of that oath is protect people like you and your family. If that is not appreciated well then nothing I post will ever change your opinion. There is nothing more certain than a closed mind.

I fully appreciate what full time members do, I don't blame people for joining and they might mean well but it is not a sucess IMO and the recruitment campaign shows the government don't really and truly rate it or value it, they inherited it!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Why would I ever to be inclined to do that. You have no interest apart from taking potshots and making snide comments at a well meaning and committed group of men and women who do their best for this country and it's citizens.
    Given your previous posts I don't think one such as yourself will ever understand what motivates us and pushes any member of AGS to do the ex ordinary job we do. We all take an oath when we are attested and part of that oath is protect people like you and your family. If that is not appreciated well then nothing I post will ever change your opinion. There is nothing more certain than a closed mind.

Raider 190 You seem very passionate about the reserve and fair play to you. I learned very little about the job when I was in it as I was in a very quiet station. I may never be accepted to the full time job but any Garda I tell about my disappointment tell me to cop myself on and now many are sorry for joining. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be in with a chance of getting the job but one consolation to me is the poor money on offer, it is disgracefulin my opinion

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Raider 190 You seem very passionate about the reserve and fair play to you. I learned very little about the job when I was in it as I was in a very quiet station. I may never be accepted to the full time job but any Garda I tell about my disappointment tell me to cop myself on and now many are sorry for joining. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be in with a chance of getting the job but one consolation to me is the poor money on offer, it is disgracefulin my opinion[/QUOTE]

WW it always saddens me when the service loses good people whether it's regular or reserve. There are changes needed to the reserve in order that we keep those that have a natural appitude for the work. If you feel the strong urge to pursue a career in policing I would go with it. Yes it's not perfect and yes it has many faults as a system but driving the system are decent , Harding working men and women. I agree the money is a disgrace but vocations and those who pursue them will always be abused by government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Raider 190 You seem very passionate about the reserve and fair play to you. I learned very little about the job when I was in it as I was in a very quiet station. I may never be accepted to the full time job but any Garda I tell about my disappointment tell me to cop myself on and now many are sorry for joining. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be in with a chance of getting the job but one consolation to me is the poor money on offer, it is disgracefulin my opinion

I think myself those particular Gardai who say 'stay away from the guards' and 'don't join it's a poisoned chalice'
    are the members who may have forked out big money on mortgages and their pay has been hacked at and they now have to give up their nice car etc.

I know for me and many users on the forum AGS is a calling and no matter what ppl say re the job being a bad one nothings going to stop us going for it 100%.

And maybe the pay that's on offer is a good thing when it will come to new gardai spending wisely

D Trent wrote: »
    I think myself those particular Gardai who say 'stay away from the guards' and 'don't join it's a poisoned chalice'
    are the members who may have forked out big money on mortgages and their pay has been hacked at and they now have to give up their nice car etc.

I know for me and many users on the forum AGS is a calling and no matter what ppl say re the job being a bad one nothings going to stop us going for it 100%.

And maybe the pay that's on offer is a good thing when it will come to new gardai spending wisely

I am in no way trying to put down the force, I would only love to join. I do think that the people most suited to the job will get it. Anybody joining thinking they are joining for a handy job will get a surprise when they are workin nights in Dublin dealing with dangerous situations.

• Advertisement

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I am in no way trying to put down the force, I would only love to join. I do think that the people most suited to the job will get it. Anybody joining thinking they are joining for a handy job will get a surprise when they are workin nights in Dublin dealing with dangerous situations.

Agree sometimes the expectation of what the job entails is light years away from the actual day to day reality. Some will thrive in the actual environment and some will struggle. The change in the training module will be interesting as the college training is shortened and the OJT forms the majority. This will allow trainees to get to grips with the job sooner. Full powers after their 32 or 36 weeks in the college. All seems to be well thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

'So you've wanted to join the guards from an early age? Have you put much thought into joining the GR's?' asked the Interviewer.

Going to be a few awkward moments inside that room for a few of ye.

'

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

'So you've wanted to join the guards from an early age? Have you put much thought into joining the GR's?' asked the Interviewer.

Going to be a few awkward moments inside that room for a few of ye.

'

No there won't. If being a reserve was the be all and end all it would be a requirement. Obviously, it's an advantage in certain areas, but it's up to each individual to prove they are equally qualified with other life experiences through their scenarios. How do you think they recruited before the reserve?

If it's really going to be that big of a problem then how will there be more civilians recruited than reserves? Because that's the way it's going to be, for the most obvious reason that civilians are most likely outnumbering reserves by a considerable stretch in the qualified candidates.

No there won't. If being a reserve was the be all and end all it would be a requirement. Obviously, it's an advantage in certain areas, but it's up to each individual to prove they are equally qualified with other life experiences through their scenarios. How do you think they recruited before the reserve?

If it's really going to be that big of a problem then how will there be more civilians recruited than reserves? Because that's the way it's going to be, for the most obvious reason that civilians are most likely outnumbering reserves by a considerable stretch in the qualified candidates.

The GR question is going to come up in the majority of interviews. I just hope that those of you who totally disregard the GR have a genuine, convincing excuse for not joining the reserve before this campaign. No candidate will be able to show that they researched and acted on their interest in the job other than having joined the reserve's, thats a fact.

How do I think they recruited before the reserve? Eh, the last recruitment was 5 years ago, well before the reserve ever fully evolved. I dont think coaching the u14 GAA team will suffice as community work, when there are candidates out there that actually gave time to the GR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Why is everyone so convinced that wanting to be a Guard all their lives is necessarily going to be seen as a good thing? Surely they will want more balanced people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The GR question is going to come up in the majority of interviews. I just hope that those of you who totally disregard the GR have a genuine, convincing excuse for not joining the reserve before this campaign. No candidate will be able to show that they researched and acted on their interest in the job other than having joined the reserve's, thats a fact.

How do I think they recruited before the reserve? Eh, the last recruitment was 5 years ago, well before the reserve ever fully evolved. I dont think coaching the u14 GAA team will suffice as community work, when there are candidates out there that actually gave time to the GR.

A good performance and reference from the Garda authorities as well as the ability to expand on experiences gained will stand to a Reserve. Membership alone is no use if the Reserve is a plonker and doesn't get a good reference.
    However an interview board will also assess non Reserves contribution to the community and may deem their contribution exceeds what a Reserve might have done. We have seen posts here where Reserves complain that they are just left sitting around the station. Everyone's circumstances are different and it is possible that family, employment, location will be good reasons for not joining the Reserves

I would expect very few to go into the interview without preparing for the question as to why they did not join the reserve. It will be easy get around, I was ineligible due to my current work, I was unable due to family circumstances, I was working abroad, I wanted to but my employer would not facilitate me to do so and I did not want to do it unless I could be fully committed etc, give excuse and back it up, the fact that you are sitting there in front of them means you have achieved a lot up to that point in the competition. If it was so important they wouldn't have treated reserves with the lack of recognition that they have. People will walk into the interview with huge achievements in many fields that will impress, just cause you fit into a reserve uniform and shadow a garda for 4 hours a week dosent mean you are way ahead of other applicants. There will be seriously good quality candidates rolling in one after the other to the interview and reserves who do get through should be mindful of that and not take things for granted!

So what you're saying is that no one will be successful except for reserves if no other community work is acceptable? That's a bit naive isn't it? Like I said before it is not the be all and end all. How do you know what kind of community involvement any non-reserves have? It is this completely dismissive attitude on the part of a small number of reservists that is creating this "us vs them" scenario over and over on here. Nobody has even suggested that it is not a big advantage being a member of the reserves, it's the people who think that not being a member will be the primary factor in the selection process.

The reserve was in existance the last time I went into that interview room and it made no difference that I wasn't a member because I passed. Times have moved on, I'm still not a reserve for my own reasons, and I'll take my chances if i get to that stage. Best of luck in your application and I commend people who have taken the time to join the GR and continue to give of their time. But this is not "us vs them". It each individual vs everyone else.

So what you're saying is that no one will be successful except for reserves if no other community work is acceptable? That's a bit naive isn't it? Like I said before it is not the be all and end all. How do you know what kind of community involvement any non-reserves have? It is this completely dismissive attitude on the part of a small number of reservists that is creating this "us vs them" scenario over and over on here. Nobody has even suggested that it is not a big advantage being a member of the reserves, it's the people who think that not being a member will be the primary factor in the selection process.

The reserve was in existance the last time I went into that interview room and it made no difference that I wasn't a member because I passed. Times have moved on, I'm still not a reserve for my own reasons, and I'll take my chances if i get to that stage. Best of luck in your application and I commend people who have taken the time to join the GR and continue to give of their time. But this is not "us vs them". It each individual vs everyone else.

You're jumping to all sorts of conclusions here. I never said that other community work isn't good enough. I just think the interviewing panel will see through bullsh!t examples....

You did the interview 5 years ago, when the reserve was at its beginnings. Out of interest; are you a reserve? Why or why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

It each individual vs everyone else.[/QUOTE]

thats true! competion is fierce, give it your best shot, reserve or not,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

This is such a stupid thread with the same retards posting in it! Posting nothing informative. It's like one of those late night radio phone in shows and only scrotes phone in complaining about a situation and no solution to it! Can a mod delete this please!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

The very first post in this thread has led this debate the way it's gone. It was a reserve of the opinion that they felt that their work was not recognised in this process. I've been accused of bring anti reserve, nothing could be further from the truth. I've my fingers crossed for two lads in the last 600, if they're successful I've no doubt they will be top class Gardai. I said that I believed that the aptitude tests were there for a very good reason and they are. I can't understand people here claiming that they'll see through bs in the interview when they ask why didn't you join the reserves. Do you see this question as a deal breaker? Do you not think there's good reasons why people didn't apply to be a reserve? One of them being that people were of the opinion that it was boring and undervalued as was stated here by some. I'll tell ye what I think, a person goes into an interview who is a qualified graduate, maybe has experience in being a team leader, looks professional, has a proven record of being successful in their current area of work, Is fit, maybe a keen sportsperson who coaches local teams. They'll look across the table and see a potentially good guard, and they will pick them. I hope that the best people get in, the job needs good workers, and lots of them, if they're all current reserves I'll be delighted they'll have earned it, but a lot of people could be very p'd off in the coming months.

Out of interest; are you a reserve? Why or why not?

Not a reserve, like I clearly said in my post. Absolutely not getting into my reasons, just so we can debate whether or not you think they're valid. Like I said, I'll take my chances at interview stage, if I get there. Make of that what you will, but I'm done with this now.

Best of luck to all those who get their shot at the next stage, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who's made it that far, be they reserve or not, bar possible cheaters obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

All im going to say is - any GR who fails the report writing test doesnt deserve the job!!

Thats the first thing my GR experience has trumped those around me. A few people struggled badly to get the basic and crucial details from the vid. Lots seemed to struggle. I thought it couldnt have been easier

also two blokes beside me hasnt a clue what to do on the retest. Suspect cheaters. Few no shows too

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

WilcoOut wrote: »
    All im going to say is - any GR who fails the report writing test doesnt deserve the job!!

Thats the first thing my GR experience has trumped those around me. A few people struggled badly to get the basic and crucial details from the vid. Lots seemed to struggle. I thought it couldnt have been easier

also two blokes beside me hasnt a clue what to do on the retest. Suspect cheaters. Few no shows too

How many a day are sitting stage 3 then? Is it online bar the report ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Amazing to think people didnt even bother turning up isnt it considering how competitive it's been.

Shady Tady wrote: »
    There's a great debate going on over in the knitting and embroidery forum if you want to avoid the scrotes but I have to warn you there can be a bit of needle!

Very witty indeed

Totally agree if you have served you should be able to trot out a report in your sleep. Its a basic skill in policing.

mycro89 wrote: »
    How many a day are sitting stage 3 then? Is it online bar the report ?

30 odd per class, 2 classes a day

And yes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

carzony wrote: »
    Amazing to think people didnt even bother turning up isnt it considering how competitive it's been.

That was bound to happen. People applied and then as they progressed began to check out what they had actually applied and compared pay/conditions etc. with their current position.
    The worst thing that could happen is that an applicant does a few weeks in the college and then decides to resign and have deprived another candidate of the position.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    That was bound to happen. People applied and then as they progressed began to check out what they had actually applied and compared pay/conditions etc. with their current position.
    The worst thing that could happen is that an applicant does a few weeks in the college and then decides to resign and have deprived another candidate of the position.

And it will happen later too - somebody will enjoy the college life and then get to their station and resign due to shift work, weekend work and the violence/abuse etc

another benefit from being a GR - u know exactly what to expect from the job

will be interesting to see what these new Gardai will actually come out with when allowances and overtime are added

And it will happen later too - somebody will enjoy the college life and then get to their station and resign due to shift work, weekend work and the violence/abuse etc

another benefit from being a GR - u know exactly what to expect from the job

In fairness the amo

hopeful8 wrote: »
    In fairness the amount that do that are tiny, I'm sure people know what they're letting themselves

• Advertisement

In fairness the amount that do that are tiny, I'm sure people know what they're letting themselves in for

Which is why serving in the reserve would eliminate this possibility. This will no doubt be in the minds of the interview panel given the restriction in funds for training. They will be looking for assurances from candidates that they will complete the training and provide the state with the required 30 years service. How does a candidate do that. It's a tough challenge. This is where a family tradition of public service may be of advantage. Also previous public service military, Dfb, prison service etc

Which is why serving in the reserve would eliminate this possibility. This will no doubt be in the minds of the interview panel given the restriction in funds for training. They will be looking for assurances from candidates that they will complete the training and provide the state with the required 30 years service. How does a candidate do that. It's a tough challenge. This is where a family tradition of public service may be of advantage. Also previous public service military, Dfb, prison service etc

People leave all jobs for various reasons, the rate of resignation from the gardai is quite low and most resigning are forced to do so for various reasons. It happens in all jobs, should we have reserves for all jobs so? No

People leave all jobs for various reasons, the rate of resignation from the gardai is quite low and most resigning are forced to do so for various reasons. It happens in all jobs, should we have reserves for all jobs so? No

More anti reserve rhetoric. Please read the post carefully before you drag your soap box out. I have cited a lot of other public service jobs as well. Perhaps you have a grudge against those as well

More anti reserve rhetoric. Please read the post carefully before you drag your soap box out. I have cited a lot of other public service jobs as well. Perhaps you have a grudge against those as well

Not at all, read my post a number of times if necessary, take your time!

Not at all, read my post a number of times if necessary, take your time!

always the same there shady ,build a bridge or apply to the regular or the reserve you would be amazed at the how the experience would broaden your mind and change your attitude I know it has mine and many others.

• Advertisement

Definitley some blank faces , head scratching of heads and little beads of sweat

Raider 190, your attitude would put me off people who serve as reserves.

You seem to believe that because you have 5 years or so service in the reserve that you should just get 'promoted' to the full time.

The reserve was not set up as an apprenticeship to the guards.
    Yes, if someone is young enough & applies for AGS, then their experience will be a great advantage to them.
    SHOULD THEY GET THE JOB!!
    And it should definitely be a help IF they get as far as interview.

Your posts come across like you believe you are better than people who are not in the reserve, as if other people don't deserve the job just as much as you.

Well you are very wrong & I really hope you don't show your attitude if you get an interview because it will not stand well to you.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Raider 190, your attitude would put me off people who serve as reserves.

You seem to believe that because you have 5 years or so service in the reserve that you should just get 'promoted' to the full time.
    .........................................Never state this and don't subscribe to this belief

The reserve was not set up as an apprenticeship to the guards.
    Yes, if someone is young enough & applies for AGS, then their experience will be a great advantage to them.
    SHOULD THEY GET THE JOB!!
    And it should definitely be a help IF they get as far as interview.
    ...............................................Have stated this many times

Your posts come across like you believe you are better than people who are not in the reserve, as if other people don't deserve the job just as much as you.
    ................................................ Not at all ,I am no better than any applicant , I like many others will have some advantages over others by way of experience and educational qualifications

Well you are very wrong & I really hope you don't show your attitude if you get an interview because it will not stand well to you..................Thank you for your concern but I have been through this process before and was fortunate to have been offered a place during the last campaign but was just starting a masters degree so was unable to take up the offer. So my performance at interview stage should be adequate.

I hope this clarifies some of your misunderstandings

always the same there shady ,build a bridge or apply to the regular or the reserve you would be amazed at the how the experience would broaden your mind and change your attitude I know it has mine and many others.

If it will leave me with an attitude like yours then no thanks

If it will leave me with an attitude like yours then no thanks

Nothing more certain than a close mind.

Well as you made yourself clear with your last post ,are your opinions on any aspect of AGS to be taken seriously as they unqualified by any experience whatsoever. A lot of posters are seeking advice and guidance and may be unable to distinguish your advice from a number of posters who have the experience and knowledge to assist them.

• Advertisement

Nothing more certain than a close mind.

Well as you made yourself clear with your last post ,are your opinions on any aspect of AGS to be taken seriously as they unqualified by any experience whatsoever. A lot of posters are seeking advice and guidance and may be unable to distinguish your advice from a number of posters who have the experience and knowledge to assist them.

You won't make much of a police man making assumptions like that

You won't make much of a police man making assumptions like that

No assumptions ....all based on your postings and I really don't think you would know what makes a good Garda but anyway let's move on shall we . Agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

This bickering doesn't do much for any real garda's opinion of those who post here lads, some of the comments do nothing for the discussion.

Though it seems to be a trend in the Garda Recruitment section.

I think raider 190 you have shown yourself to be very close minded on this issue.

You seem to believe that people not in the reserve just don't have the same interest that you do.
    Do you take other peoples situations into consideration at all? Just because they couldn't join doesn't mean they wouldn't make very good members if AGS.
    Maybe even better than some people that are in the reserve.

I think raider 190 you have shown yourself to be very close minded on this issue.

You seem to believe that people not in the reserve just don't have the same interest that you do. .............. Never stated that.

Do you take other peoples situations into consideration at all?....of course I do I am only human

Just because they couldn't join doesn't mean they wouldn't make very good members if AGS........ Never stated that.

Maybe even better than some people that are in the reserve..... Am sure there are.

Well from reading this thread, that's honestly how your posts appear.

Well from reading this thread, that's honestly how your posts appear.

That's why I have posted my answers to your post. Just to clarify the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harbourmill

I am a retired member of AGS, it was persumed that when the reserves were being recruited that those who wished to join the regular force would have an advantage when recruiting began. The fact that they had gained practical expierence in the working envoirment of AGS and provided their services free of charge (apart from a small allowance) showed a high level of commitment. Not many people will give up their Friday and saturday nights to deal with drunken yobs, and the usual mayhem we see on our streets at the weekend. The reserves have been vetted and found suitable to act as R/ gardai.they have already recieved a high level of training which should lessen the training period in AGS. I have advised people over the years to join the reserve if they were interested in joining AGS, i would not advise them to do so now as they are putting themselves at risk with no loyalty being shown or their work been rewarded by the goverment. I believe that recruting for the reserves will stop, as there will be very few takers if there is no light at the end of the tunnel. If and i say IF the reserves had an advantage would it not be in the public intreast? , there would be a large reserve force of committed people whos goal would be to join AGS and vacancies in AGS be filled from suitable senior members of the reserve. no large recruiting campaigns and a continuous flow of applicants for AGS.

I am a retired member of AGS, it was persumed that when the reserves were being recruited that those who wished to join the regular force would have an advantage when recruiting began. The fact that they had gained practical expierence in the working envoirment of AGS and provided their services free of charge (apart from a small allowance) showed a high level of commitment. Not many people will give up their Friday and saturday nights to deal with drunken yobs, and the usual mayhem we see on our streets at the weekend. The reserves have been vetted and found suitable to act as R/ gardai.they have already recieved a high level of training which should lessen the training period in AGS. I have advised people over the years to join the reserve if they were interested in joining AGS, i would not advise them to do so now as they are putting themselves at risk with no loyalty being shown or their work been rewarded by the goverment. I believe that recruting for the reserves will stop, as there will be very few takers if there is no light at the end of the tunnel. If and i say IF the reserves had an advantage would it not be in the public intreast? , there would be a large reserve force of committed people whos goal would be to join AGS and vacancies in AGS be filled from suitable senior members of the reserve. no large recruiting campaigns and a continuous flow of applicants for AGS.

Prepare for a lot of abuse from some of the anti reserve lobby which populate this forum. From my own point of view ......well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Why should GR be used as a stepping stone?
    GR should be about helping out your local community and getting satisfaction and not about getting a job out of it.
    The current recuitment process gets the best people into AGS

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement