Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is Spirituality

• 14-03-2014 3:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭

all the infidels of world were more spirtual than all the holly monks/saints/prophets/pious men-- What did saints give to the world?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

What is your question.... is it:

What is spirituality?
    or
    What did the Saints give to the world??

and how do you define 'spirituality' in terms of 'all the infidels of the world'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭H3aler

maguffin wrote: »
    What is your question.... is it:

What is spirituality?
    or
    What did the Saints give to the world??

and how do you define 'spirituality' in terms of 'all the infidels of the world'?

saints give nothing to the world instead of pious bigotory-- These lovers of God -- these haters of men -- looked upon theGreek marbles as unclean---- and denounced the glories of Art as the---snares and pitfalls of perdition---
    They denounce some of the best and greatest -- some of the
    benefactors of the race -- for having lived on the low plane of
    usefulness -- and for having had the pitiful ambition to make their
    fellows happy in this world
    maguffin wrote: »

The spiritual man lives to his ideal
    He loves science and all things that have benfited human world. He cultivates good for life
    He enjoys the beautiful--- He loves science/art/musci

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

H3aler wrote: »
    saints give nothing to the world instead of pious bigotory-- These lovers of God -- these haters of men -- looked upon theGreek marbles as unclean---- and denounced the glories of Art as the---snares and pitfalls of perdition---
    They denounce some of the best and greatest -- some of the
    benefactors of the race -- for having lived on the low plane of
    usefulness -- and for having had the pitiful ambition to make their
    fellows happy in this world

The spiritual man lives to his ideal
    He loves science and all things that have benfited human world. He cultivates good for life
    He enjoys the beautiful--- He loves science/art/musci

And those of us who aren't "spiritual", can we not love all the above? Are we incapable of love and appreciation, do you think?

old hippy wrote: »
    And those of us who aren't "spiritual", can we not love all the above? Are we incapable of love and appreciation, do you think?
    athiest and agnostic-- they are not spirtaual, they ban people from their foram for no reason--- They even with all of their collective intelligence failed to answer me-- they are shame of spirtaulity-- I am talking about real people like Darwin-- Thomas pain-- Shakespear-- Ibn Khudli-- Boo Ali seena-- They were spirtaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Spirituality is the growth of your spirit, a connection with the Divine. All the saints,prophets, holy men etc are remembered for different things like helping the poor, having the gift of healing, showing compassion in the face of adversity, guiding people towards living a joyful happy life in Communion with the most high etc etc etc.

But certainly spirituality does not mean judging people of the past who you don't know or putting pedestal under scientists who have led the way in the evolution of technology or the understanding of the physical world around us. Or indeed judging others because of their belief system. We all share this earth and this existence together so having love and respect for all beings is a part of growing spiritually, irrespective of whats in their minds. Until we realise we are one Family there will be division etc.

athiest and agnostic-- they are not spirtaual, they ban people from their foram for no reason--- They even with all of their collective intelligence failed to answer me-- they are shame of spirtaulity-- I am talking about real people like Darwin-- Thomas pain-- Shakespear-- Ibn Khudli-- Boo Ali seena-- They were spirtaul

I'm not going to discuss the forum you mention above because I think you know what happened there. If you have any gripes with it, I'm sure you can take it up with the relevant Mods.

So, again, I take it you don't agree that us ordinary folk can love and appreciate life, nature and art - just the same as spiritual folk?

padma wrote: »
    Spirituality is the growth of your spirit, a connection with the Divine. All the saints,prophets, holy men etc are remembered for different things like helping the poor, having the gift of healing, showing compassion in the face of adversity, guiding people towards living a joyful happy life in Communion with the most high etc etc etc.

But certainly spirituality does not mean judging people of the past who you don't know or putting pedestal under scientists who have led the way in the evolution of technology or the understanding of the physical world around us. Or indeed judging others because of their belief system. We all share this earth and this existence together so having love and respect for all beings is a part of growing spiritually, irrespective of whats in their minds. Until we realise we are one Family there will be division etc.
    Hi padma, thanks , These holy men, preists, what did they invent-- Can you name a single hollymen who had benefited this world-- except they gave us religion -- In the name of religion, blood have been shed, wars have been fought -- The world has been to the choas-- Each religion's god say, his religion is true-- Helping poor doesn't need any holly men-- It need good goverment system-- You can help poor through proper govt system-- Think this beautiful world free from religion--

So, again, I take it you don't agree that us ordinary folk can love and appreciate life, nature and art - just the same as spiritual folk?
    no they lack wisdom and intecllect-- They can just copy things from spiritual folks-- They don't invent anything -- They keep their philophsy on barrowed ideas-- and when anything contradict their philophsy, they become fanatic, seal truth, ban members --kill people, sew their tonges, burn the books--

no they lack wisdom and intecllect-- They can just copy things from spiritual folks-- They don't invent anything -- They keep their philophsy on barrowed ideas-- and when anything contradict their philophsy, they become fanatic, seal truth, ban members --kill people, sew their tonges, burn the books--

So, you're saying us ordinary folk are not only incapable of love and appreciation of life, nature and art but also incapable of wisdom, intellect, invention? We steal ideas, seal truth, ban people, kill them, mutilate and burn books?

Nice spiritual outlook there. If you are a representative of spirituality (which I highly doubt you are) I'd rather not subscribe.

• Advertisement

So, you're saying us ordinary folk are not only incapable of love and appreciation of life, nature and art but also incapable of wisdom, intellect, invention? We steal ideas, seal truth, ban people, kill them, mutilate and burn books?

Nice spiritual outlook there. If you are a representative of spirituality (which I highly doubt you are) I'd rather not subscribe.
    they can only love and appreciate according to their small intellect and theory-- A chirsitan will admire chirsitan scientist work or praise every work under the cover of Bible-- a mulism will see according to his holly book-- athiest will not praise good work of religious people-- There is no universality or spirtaulity

they can only love and appreciate according to their small intellect and theory-- A chirsitan will admire chirsitan scientist work or praise every work under the cover of Bible-- a mulism will see according to his holly book-- athiest will not praise good work of religious people-- There is no universality or spirtaulity

That's just not true, I'm afraid. Many of us atheists and non spiritual types admire MLK, Ghandi, the Dalai Lama and plenty of "religious" people. Personally, I adore visiting temples, cathedrals and all places of worship. I may not subscribe to the religion but I can still appreciate the beauty. I've read many religious and spiritual tomes and I can admire the core messages, without being "spiritual". I think you're just a bit miffed because of what happened on the other forum. You're very dismissive of people who don't buy into your own brand of (somewhat confusing) philosophy :(

That's just not true, I'm afraid. Many of us atheists and non spiritual types admire MLK, Ghandi, the Dalai Lama and plenty of "religious" people. Personally, I adore visiting temples, cathedrals and all places of worship. I may not subscribe to the religion but I can still appreciate the beauty. I've read many religious and spiritual tomes and I can admire the core messages, without being "spiritual". I think you're just a bit miffed because of what happened on the other forum. You're very dismissive of people who don't buy into your own brand of (somewhat confusing) philosophy :(
    should i set one person to judge whole mob or class-- You are good, you attitude is also good.. i like you but the other people-- they are bigot, they don't know how to talk --- some of people star discriminating-- I see spirtaulity in yourself but i can't say whole mob is spiritaul because of you-- I am not confused-- You are proving my quote true about universlity -- You are defending atheists even they are wrong

Hi padma, thanks , These holy men, preists, what did they invent-- Can you name a single hollymen who had benefited this world-- except they gave us religion -- In the name of religion, blood have been shed, wars have been fought -- The world has been to the choas-- Each religion's god say, his religion is true-- Helping poor doesn't need any holly men-- It need good goverment system-- You can help poor through proper govt system-- Think this beautiful world free from religion--

Lets take example of the Buddha. He shared with people the 4 noble truths and the noble eightfold path etc. Then we have Jesus who taught people about Love and respect for the poor the sick the hungry etc.. Of course the benefit to mankind is immense. At the foundation of most modern society today we look after the poor and sick etc... charity and goodwill helps keep people alive today. Of course this is a very simple outlook but it merits attention as it is based upon at its very root unselfishness and living in harmony with others and the world.

Some people venerate these men prophets, saints etc...because they see this truthful way of living in the world as a very beautiful thing altogether.

I feel what you are talking about in relation to religion is very different to the original intentions of Jesus and other Holy men. Yet you blame Jesus for the mistakes of his followers hundreds of years after Jesus died.

You seem caught up in a what did the prophets invent that benefited mankind type of debate. They werent inventors. You cant seriously use that as an argument to put down others who lived a spiritual life.

The great scientists also invented massive destructive materials and were financially helped by kings and queens, governments, pharmaceutical companies etc and in doing so have made the world a colder place it could be argued. Who knows what there intentions were? Was it ego? Was it for financial gain? Was it to help win a war? Or was it to get their name in the papers etc.

My point is, if you want to live in this life free from a headache, it would be wise to just relax smile and let go ideas about others and their faults. As a wise man once said first cast out the plank from your own eye and then you will see clearly before removing the speck from your brothers eye.

should i set one person to judge whole mob or class-- You are good, you attitude is also good.. i like you but the other people-- they are bigot, they don't know how to talk --- some of people star discriminating-- I see spirtaulity in yourself but i can't say whole mob is spiritaul because of you-- I am not confused-- You are proving my quote true about universlity -- You are defending atheists even they are wrong

They are wrong? In their beliefs? Or because they didn't agree with you on the other thread? Are you judging all of us because of what happened to you on that thread? A little unfair and hypocritcal, don't you think?

They are wrong? In their beliefs? Or because they didn't agree with you on the other thread? Are you judging all of us because of what happened to you on that thread? A little unfair and hypocritcal, don't you think?
    when church banned gallelio, for the few moments people like old hippy thought that Church was true but few times later, it has been proved church was wrong... similarly, if you people with all of your cheap wisdom, are right, what authority you have upon me to ban .. did i abuse there, what charter of hypocraisy did i break-- It proves you can't defend your truth, which is infact wrong-- I am telling you about universility.. If your beliefs are true, you don't need to ban--you dont need to kill me-- You don't need to burn my books which expose your hypocraisy

Lets take example of the Buddha. He shared with people the 4 noble truths and the noble eightfold path etc. Then we have Jesus who taught people about Love and respect for the poor the sick the hungry etc.. Of course the benefit to mankind is immense. At the foundation of most modern society today we look after the poor and sick etc... charity and goodwill helps keep people alive today. Of course this is a very simple outlook but it merits attention as it is based upon at its very root unselfishness and living in harmony with others and the world.

Some people venerate these men prophets, saints etc...because they see this truthful way of living in the world as a very beautiful thing altogether.

I feel what you are talking about in relation to religion is very different to the original intentions of Jesus and other Holy men. Yet you blame Jesus for the mistakes of his followers hundreds of years after Jesus died.

You seem caught up in a what did the prophets invent that benefited mankind type of debate. They werent inventors. You cant seriously use that as an argument to put down others who lived a spiritual life.

The great scientists also invented massive destructive materials and were financially helped by kings and queens, governments, pharmaceutical companies etc and in doing so have made the world a colder place it could be argued. Who knows what there intentions were? Was it ego? Was it for financial gain? Was it to help win a war? Or was it to get their name in the papers etc.

My point is, if you want to live in this life free from a headache, it would be wise to just relax smile and let go ideas about others and their faults. As a wise man once said first cast out the plank from your own eye and then you will see clearly before removing the speck from your brothers eye.
    Hi padma thanks for answer, can you tell me who is following budha four noble truth in the world-- Why the world has been on the chaos, Buddha/Jesus/Muhammad might be great people-- but wrong is, people are fighting for their truth, Christian say muslims and Prophet muhammad are wrong, kill them all... Similarly Budha follower have killed muslims in Burma to preserve 4 noble truth--These saints/holly monks and their truth have brought war to the worlds-- similarly scientists have invented destructive matrial for defensive of world from alien races and religious people start killing for their nobles truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

What is Spirituality

It is a personal connection with a life-force or source of life that is outside of, or bigger then oneself, and the realisation or knowing that the inner and the outer are the same.
    It's a one at a time thing, and can only be found within yourself, looking out at all the religions of the world and indeed the non religions organisations too, is seeking where it cannot be found, you may find pointers in these things outside of you saying 'look within'.
    Pointing out the wrongs and rights of this world and is occupants past and present has nothing to do with being spiritual as this will always be about 'them' spirituality is about me or I.

Happy Every Day
    P

Hi padma thanks for answer, can you tell me who is following budha four noble truth in the world-- Why the world has been on the chaos, Buddha/Jesus/Muhammad might be great people-- but wrong is, people are fighting for their truth, Christian say muslims and Prophet muhammad are wrong, kill them all... Similarly Budha follower have killed muslims in Burma to preserve 4 noble truth--These saints/holly monks and their truth have brought war to the worlds-- similarly scientists have invented destructive matrial for defensive of world from alien races and religious people start killing for their nobles truth

You havent read clearly you are judging the messenger for the faults of the ones who havent heard the message. The very ones the messenger was speaking too. Do you see? Its not very difficult to work it out. Sometimes you have to go beyond your prejudice and hatred and look from a different angle.

Like when the messengers were teaching. They werent teaching about religious matters. They were teaching about human and spiritual matters.

• Advertisement

when church banned gallelio, for the few moments people like old hippy thought that Church was true but few times later, it has been proved church was wrong... similarly, if you people with all of your cheap wisdom, are right, what authority you have upon me to ban .. did i abuse there, what charter of hypocraisy did i break-- It proves you can't defend your truth, which is infact wrong-- I am telling you about universility.. If your beliefs are true, you don't need to ban--you dont need to kill me-- You don't need to burn my books which expose your hypocraisy

I wasn't around when Galileo got into trouble, so I can't comment. However, I was around when you made that hateful post on the atheist forum - and you know what happened then. This is something you need to discuss with a moderator - which I most definitely am not - rather then taint other forums with it.

And nobody wants to kill you, btw. :rolleyes:

You havent read clearly you are judging the messenger for the faults of the ones who havent heard the message. The very ones the messenger was speaking too. Do you see? Its not very difficult to work it out. Sometimes you have to go beyond your prejudice and hatred and look from a different angle.

hi padma, i am not the one judging prophets/messengers.. they might be great people... the morality they preached could be most generous.. but the problem is that these prophets/saints divided humanity into religion/culutures.. They did nothing to unite humanity.... They gave us religion... for these religion blood has been spilled since the dawn of humanity..

I wasn't around when Galileo got into trouble, so I can't comment. However, I was around when you made that hateful post on the atheist forum - and you know what happened then. This is something you need to discuss with a moderator - which I most definitely am not - rather then taint other forums with it.

And nobody wants to kill you, btw. :rolleyes:

you are defending church and in modern time you are defending mod/crowd.. who are saying burn the healer.. i mean ban the healer.. i was not hateful.. i was just telling don't hate life insdie you

you are defending church and in modern time you are defending mod/crowd.. who are saying burn the healer.. i mean ban the healer.. i was not hateful.. i was just telling don't hate life insdie you

Where am I defending the church? I have no reason to defend something I have no belief or trust in. As for the mods, I am not one & really if you have an issue with what happened, you should bring it up with them - not me. You were banned for a week, Healer. Just a week. I've been permabanned from 2 forums - that's forever, btw. I'm not derailing threads and moaning about it, though.

So, back to what is spirtuality? It's a state of mind, it's a way you feel about others and yourself, it's a way you treat and respect others. It's not just confined to people who are religiously affiliated and believe it or not, despite your claims otherwise, it applies to atheists as well. Although we wouldn't dress it up in such a term like "spirituality".

I have to say, I don't see anything approaching spirituality in your posts to date :(

Where am I defending the church? I have no reason to defend something I have no belief or trust in. As for the mods, I am not one & really if you have an issue with what happened, you should bring it up with them - not me. You were banned for a week, Healer. Just a week. I've been permabanned from 2 forums - that's forever, btw. I'm not derailing threads and moaning about it, though.

So, back to what is spirtuality? It's a state of mind, it's a way you feel about others and yourself, it's a way you treat and respect others. It's not just confined to people who are religiously affiliated and believe it or not, despite your claims otherwise, it applies to atheists as well. Although we wouldn't dress it up in such a term like "spirituality".

I have to say, I don't see anything approaching spirituality in your posts to date :(
    you were defending church of atheism and hungry mob.. This is not spiritaulity in your post..being spiritual you should promote justice in the society... Spirtialty is feeling of love for yout human kind.. I have love for human unborn babies... I wish Mob who want to kill them all.. understood me.... I tried my best to make them understand.. don't hate life inside us... but you are saying i was being hateful... why shouldn't i hate who hate humanity.. who love violence..

you said spritality is state of mind.. i think your mind is not in state of spirtuality to understand my post.. that's you couldn't see spirtality in my post... if you read with music... each and every word of mine is dancing.. it is poetry..

you were defending church of atheism and hungry mob.. This is not spiritaulity in your post..being spiritual you should promote justice in the society... Spirtialty is feeling of love for yout human kind.. I have love for human unborn babies... I wish Mob who want to kill them all.. understood me.... I tried my best to make them understand.. don't hate life inside us... but you are saying i was being hateful... why shouldn't i hate who hate humanity.. who love violence..

you said spritality is state of mind.. i think your mind is not in state of spirtuality to understand my post.. that's you couldn't see spirtality in my post... if you read with music... each and every word of mine is dancing.. it is poetry..

As I said, you know why you were banned and there's not much point crying over it here. What you said there was horrific, certainly not "spiritual".

As for me not being spiritual simply because I don't buy into your brand of nonsensical phrases, so be it. Every word of yours seems to be fighting with each other and drowning, rather than dancing. Vogon poetry may almost be preferrable.

Advertisement