Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicolas Anelka terminates West Brom contract!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not exactly a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not exactly a surprise.

Very foolish thing for him to in the first place alright! There were always going to be consequences/repercussions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He never struck me as the sharpest light in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

SSN reporting now that West Brom have heard nothing from Anelka or his advisers. Also adding that the statement on Twitter is unprofessional.

Edit: statement here http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/wba-statement-on-anelka-march-2014-1421696.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Never heard of a player at a premiership team doing that before. What type of compensation would West Brom expect to get from this, if any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Happy birthday Anelka :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tinie wrote: »
    Never heard of a player at a premiership team doing that before. What type of compensation would West Brom expect to get from this, if any?

None its the equivalent of you leaving your job and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dreamers75 wrote: »
    None its the equivalent of you leaving your job and rightly so.

If that was the case transfer fees wouldn't exist.

Well they dont really under EU Law, the registration rule which is seperate ensures that contracts are honoured and transfer fees are based on that.

I not sure what went with WBA but a contract termination must be "mutual". player cant terminate his contract on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

WBA would still have rights over his registration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

"In order to preserve my integrity, I've terminated my contract with West Brom with immediate effect."

I'm afraid he's a little late for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I not sure what went with WBA but a contract termination must be "mutual". player cant terminate his contract on his own.

I assume as an employee its within his rights, like any of us, to say "I won't be turning up again, don't pay me" and theres nothing WBA can do about it compensation wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He quits he doesn't get paid for the rest of his contract by WBA and he is unable to join another club for the lenght of the contract unless the team he is joining buy his contract off WBA. That would be my guess anyway.

Anyway probably time for him to retire off in the countryside and out of the public eye its been a tough year or two for him.

He quits he doesn't get paid for the rest of his contract by WBA and he is unable to join another club for the lenght of the contract unless the team he is joining buy his contract off WBA. That would be my guess anyway.

yeah thats it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anelka is breaching his contract, termination is only ever mutual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't think he needs the money at this stage and he's had motivation issues at different points in his career. Great player when it's said and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Pep Mel sacking to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

The 'ole you didnt quit properly so we are sacking you response...:pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You can't quit, you're fired!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah thats it in a nutshell.

That's not the same as a normal person just quitting their job and going getting another one though.which is what was implied. The technicalities of the transfer fee being for registration are irrelevant tbh. Fees need to be paid and players can't just wall away and change clubs whenever suits them .

That's not the same as a normal person just quitting their job and going getting another one though.which is what was implied. The technicalities of the transfer fee being for registration are irrelevant tbh. Fees need to be paid and players can't just wall away and change clubs whenever suits them .

It is very much relevant especially the legal framework for employment within the EU. Players can walk away, retire etc but their federative rights remain with the club for the remainder of the contract and that club can enact their economic rights over the player if the player wants to transfer his registration to another club in the mean time. Economic Rights cannot be separated from Federative Rights. Barring some exceptional circumstances like the webster rule, constructive dismissal etc, a player can only move as a free agent when the club releases him from his contract (or it expires) and gives up its rights over the players registration (or if their rights over his registration expire)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

A normal person can just quit and join another company but somebody at a high ranking management or executive level will run into difficulties if they try. Gardening leave etc will be instigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Don't forget that - in the game where he got into all the trouble - he actually scored two goals and looked really sharp. Although most Premiership clubs probably wouldn't touch him, I think he would be capable of 10-15 goals for a mid-table side next year (if he were given the opportunity)

Advertisement